PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a GSXR Shock

The Wolf
24-06-05, 10:12 AM
Got the shock...but before I start this weekend, will the top & bottom bolts fit OK with the replacement shock.

Anybody got any other tips to make it easier. I'm fitting a SRAD 750 shock. :-k

Cheers

BURNER
24-06-05, 10:28 AM
Have a look in the tip 'n' tricks section at http://www.svrider.com/
Quite a bit that should be helpful

TSM
24-06-05, 10:35 AM
From what i have herd, the top bolt is ok, the bottom one has to be trimmed as the original SV shock has a threaded joint at the bottom while the GSXR one is not. You can either get a genuine GSXR lock bolt from a dealer or trim one down.

BillyC
24-06-05, 11:11 AM
Hi Wolf

I've done this mod on my K3 with a GSXR 1000 shock, and it's definitely well worthwhile!

Assuming you've got a K3/4/5, then you will need a new bolt and nut for the bottom of the shock, where it connects to the suspension linkage by the dogbones.

The bolt and nut that you need are the same as the ones that go through the top of the shock, and can be bought from any Suzuki dealer for a few pounds, the part numbers are:

1 x 09103-10143 BOLT
1 x 08319-31107 NUT

Be aware that the but must go in from the right hand side of the bike (as you sit on it), and the nut screws in on the left. This is the opposite to the bolt that you'll remove from the stock shock, and is required so you can do the dogbones up again, and have enough clearance.

Remember to do all the nuts and bols up to the correct torques, some of these are quite high, so you'll need a big torque wrench.

You'll also need a breaker bar to get some of the bolts undone, and a second pair of hands will make your life considerably easier!

Good luck!

chris SVK3
24-06-05, 11:53 AM
Wolf,

Go to street bikes, Halesowen i think the bolt & nut cost £2.

BillyC
24-06-05, 11:57 AM
Wolf,

I think I got it from Joe, including discount, for about £2.90 or something. Cheap enough to warrant not making your own.

Plus this bolt was designed for the job.

The Wolf
24-06-05, 01:40 PM
Wolf,

Just been there at lunchtime! Perving over a new black Fireblade :D

Anyway...back to business. I got a Curvy K2 model so what bolts will I need?

cheers

BillyC
24-06-05, 02:31 PM
No idea :lol:

Someone on here has done this... and I would imagine the bolts would still be the same.

snoopy
24-06-05, 04:08 PM
I didn't need new nuts or bolts, it was a direct replacement.

TSM
24-06-05, 04:34 PM
I didn't need new nuts or bolts, it was a direct replacement.

Oh Ooooo, shocks going to fall out. :roll:

The Wolf
24-06-05, 06:09 PM
Ive just a taken a butchers at the bottom of my standard shock and it looks like its a threaded bolt rather then one with a nut on it.

The replacement GSXR shock also has a threaded hole on it at the bottom so whats the score?
:?

Carsick
24-06-05, 06:12 PM
Ive just a taken a butchers at the bottom of my standard shock and it looks like its a threaded bolt rather then one with a nut on it.

The replacement GSXR shock also has a threaded hole on it at the bottom so whats the score?
:?
BillyC was giving details for the newer GSXR1000 shocks being fitted to the pointy SVs.
If the bolt that comes out of the bottom of the SV shock fits the GSXR shock, then you're sorted.

snoopy
24-06-05, 06:20 PM
And the big question is if it does, then what year and cc does the shock come from?

Answers on a postcard.

The Wolf
25-06-05, 05:21 PM
Help, I cant undo the dogbones! They are locked solid. Any ideas? They've been drowned in WD40...

cheers

snoopy
25-06-05, 05:32 PM
Impact torque socket. Did you find out the year of your shock?

The Wolf
25-06-05, 05:40 PM
Cheers Snoopy, a mate is coming over right now with just a thing.

As for the shock, I'm not sure (unless someone knows how to identfy it), but here's the very item.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7977274146&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Will let you know how i get on. :roll:

snoopy
25-06-05, 06:19 PM
If it starts chewing with a standard socket stop and get an impact socket. If you cant get leavage under the bike use a ring spanner and hit it on the end with a hammer.

The other old trick is to tighten then loosen.

snoopy
25-06-05, 06:21 PM
Oh and its SRAD 750, so from now on people know the SRAD 750 is a direct replacement. Interestingly I bought my shock from the same ebayer!

The Wolf
25-06-05, 07:40 PM
Well we tried & we tried but it just aint moving! So we goin down to a workshop in the morning to try an air wrench, then some heat. If that fails, then we gonna cut the heads off later in the week after I get some replacement bolts. What a pain! :?

The Wolf
26-06-05, 02:03 PM
Well we got the bolts undone early this morning at the workshop. A little leverage helped. Plus they soaking in WD overnight.

Anyway, shock is all on and too be honest I aint noticed too much difference yet. Its definatley softer and more confy to ride but that was because the stock jobbie was set hard. Does anybody have any ideas what the ideal setting would be on a SRAD shock with 15 stone on it all kitted up?

Finally, the battery is real tight against thr resovoir. Is this normal? Will I have any problems? Oh, and all the bolts & nuts swapped over fine! (00 Curvy)

sprocket
26-06-05, 03:24 PM
Finally, the battery is real tight against thr resovoir. Is this normal? Will I have any problems? Oh, and all the bolts & nuts swapped over fine! (00 Curvy)

Yep this is likely to happen because of the resevoir, best thing to do if you havn't already is put some foam inbetween the two to stop any friction.

TSM
27-06-05, 12:20 PM
To clarify, the bolts are the same for the curvey as the pointy?

BillyC
27-06-05, 12:30 PM

Check the microfiche for yourself :P

www.ronayers.com

The Wolf
27-06-05, 12:38 PM
I can't comment whether the bolts are the same for both models. All I can say is that the bolts I took off my standard SV Shock (curvy) fitted the SRAD shock. The bottom bolt threads straight into the threaded hole on the bottom of the shock, though

I did have to grind 3 mm off the head so that the dogbones wouldn't catch.

However, in hindsight, I'm sure I could have just turned the botton of the shock round? Just got to sort the problem of the resevuoir rubbing against the battery. May need to make a new box for it?

TSM
27-06-05, 01:03 PM

Check the microfiche for yourself :P

www.ronayers.com

Billy you are a load of help, looking for more hard fact that getting it wrong.

The m.fiche shows that:
-the curvey and pointy have the same bolt for the bottom and top of the shock
-the nut at the top has a diffrent part number though for pointy and curvey.
-The nut at the top and bottom of the shock on a pointy is the same

Flamin_Squirrel
27-06-05, 01:31 PM
Since when did the pointy have a nut on the bottom of the shock?

snoopy
27-06-05, 01:40 PM

Yes.

I'm 11 stone and the shock is setup great. At 15 stone you'll need the preload adjusted all the way down.

Oh the Suzuki spanner doesn't work on the GSXR shock.

The battery is a perfectly tight fit. You don't need form as neither move.

TSM
27-06-05, 03:08 PM
Since when did the pointy have a nut on the bottom of the shock?

Part diagram of SV650SK3
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0349/rear_cushion_lever/rear_cushion_lever.bmp

Flamin_Squirrel
27-06-05, 03:22 PM
Err, that's wrong :shock:

The shock on the pointy is threaded on one side at the bottom, it doesn't require a nut. You only need a nut if you fit the GSX-R shock.

snoopy
27-06-05, 03:22 PM
For curvy (info ripped from svrider)

"SRAD Gixxer Shocks, and 636 shocks are preferred for 99-02 SV's.
The GSXR shock however is sprung lightly, and gives more ride height, so would be better for light riders. The 636 is sprung heavier, and standard ride height, and would be the best overall choice.
The Busa shock is a little shorter than stock, but sprung very heavy, and is best used by heavy (at least 200lb) riders. "

TSM
27-06-05, 04:26 PM
Err, that's wrong :shock:

The shock on the pointy is threaded on one side at the bottom, it doesn't require a nut. You only need a nut if you fit the GSX-R shock.

I did find it odd, i know everyone says that it threads into shock fork. Mabey it is an incorect plan from suzuki to dealers online system.

TSM
27-06-05, 04:29 PM
How do you know what spring rate you should be going for on the rear shock as it would probably dictate what shock you would go for.

e.g. Me 70kg fully kitted up. From other pages i have read arround on other sites, a 636 shock will probably be too much for me but a GSXR1000K2 shock will possably be better. Are there any tables such as the one on this site for the front springs?

Flamin_Squirrel
27-06-05, 04:57 PM
Not sure about spring rate tables, but I do belive that you need an SRAD shock. Any GSXR K1 and above will fit a pointy, not a curvey, I seem to recall. Not 100% on that though.