PDA

View Full Version : help! been knocked off in europe

tomjones2
25-06-05, 03:06 PM
hi guys been doing a europe trip that was going really well until after several carefull laps around the ring (the irony !!!) i was knocked off right outside the entrance, i'm ok but the bike is not really very straight the guy at the towing place and the policeman said that i could not ride it anywhere

the bike was towed to a recovery / repair center and is locked up until monday

at the moment a mate thinks that he can get hold off a pickup and come and collect me and the bike and then get back to the uk

because my insurance is only third party my company said its up to me to get the bike home and then work from there

has anyone been in this situation before and did they sucessfully recover lost monies

also is the this the best way to get the bike home?

the other driver said he accepted all liablity but everything was said in german and i havent got a clue what was really said! has anyone dealt with accident abroad before i would really apreciate the advice

how long i am i likley to be off the road? weeks or months and is it easier to fix the bike with your own money and then recover the costs from the insurance

has anyone got any front end bits for a sv650s in blue K3 i going to need a new exhaust, front fairing, the forks are bent not sure about the rest how much is this licley to cost?

cheers

Kate
25-06-05, 03:24 PM
Bad luck mate! :(

Do you have breakdown cover? maybe they can get the bike back to the uk?

What exactly is preventing you from riding the bike? Forks being bent can be bent back by two guys and lots of straining. Is the front fairing cracked or bits missing? IIRC new front fairings are around the £200 mark, though I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. Proper suzuki exhausts are rather expensive too.

Biker Biggles
25-06-05, 03:35 PM
OK bad luck and get a lawyer.Not sure if the usual ones like White Dalton cover Europe but you need to find out and get them on it.

Sudoxe
25-06-05, 03:51 PM
Your european cover on your insurance might be able to help you. You might have to try your insurance company. proberly the best place to start. IF you have european brakedown/recovery it might be worth calling them as well.

Good luck!

Dan

jaysv650
25-06-05, 04:51 PM
front fairing about £150
abe stantions/rebuild about £210
if your wheels bent/dinged £50 maidstone motoliner...

Mr Toad
25-06-05, 05:13 PM
if you haven't got breakdown/recovery cover then getting it home via your mate is probably your only option
keep all recepits & expenses - you should be able to claim them back, but don't expect it to be quick

do you have insurance cover for yourself - what if you'd been injured and needed to get home :?:

wheelnut
25-06-05, 09:32 PM
If Zie Polizei have said riding it is verboten, than verboten it is!

They will expect you to have recovery insurance, or it will be recovered by a friend. If you try to repair it with 15 butch lederhosen clad stormtroopers, than also expect a tug at the next ausfahrt.

There are only 2 colours in Germany, Black and White. They do not have any grey areas when it comes to the law :P

hutchy
25-06-05, 11:38 PM
didn't your insurance include motor legal protection - insurance companies nearly always include it in the price of TP insurance and you would have had to ask them to remove it.
Simply put if you have MLP then your insurance company should pass your case to a solicitor who would then take over everything for you.

Keep details of ALL costs to you (phone calls, taxi's ect) and if you havn't got MLP get a solicitor involved ASAP (especially if the other driver has admitted liability)

sprocket
26-06-05, 12:30 AM
Would be interested to know what insurance company your with .. im TPFT with carol nash and im off to the ring in July, but I think their cover is quite good. If it wasn't your fault though and the ***** went into you then you should have a claim... ?

Stig
26-06-05, 10:02 AM

What exactly is preventing you from riding the bike? Forks being bent can be bent back by two guys and lots of straining. Is the front fairing cracked or bits missing? IIRC new front fairings are around the £200 mark, though I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. Proper suzuki exhausts are rather expensive too.

Are you being serious here :? :?: :shock:

robski
26-06-05, 03:27 PM
If you've got any stuff in german you need help with i may be able to help as i used to live there.

Send me an email if you do...

valleyboy
26-06-05, 05:05 PM
Forks are expensive! mine aint bent, but the bottoms got scuffed.. they are about £200 each! so your looking at £400 for the bottom bits of the forks alone.. fairings are £178.. full exhaust is £500 - £600 if its only the silencer damaged.. cut it off, and put an aftermarket one on... save a few quid for yourself ;)

Kate
27-06-05, 08:21 AM

Are you being serious here :? :?: :shock:
:oops: Hmm, I could easily be wrong, I just like riding my SV and am not particularly knowledgeable about how bikes run. All I know is that my forks were twisted, and now they aren't.....

tomjones2
27-06-05, 11:12 AM
If Zie Polizei have said riding it is verboten, than verboten it is!

They will expect you to have recovery insurance, or it will be recovered by a friend. If you try to repair it with 15 butch lederhosen clad stormtroopers, than also expect a tug at the next ausfahrt.

There are only 2 colours in Germany, Black and White. They do not have any grey areas when it comes to the law :P

i have discovered this, it has worked in my favour though. The police report says that the accident was the other drivers fault. I acutally quite like the german approach of no grey areas, it leaves the insurance companies with no where to go except payup which is nice.

a quick update

i am with ramdale insurance brokers not sure who is the cover is actually through though, they have offered my legal cover when i get back to the uk which is good but i think that i have to pay for the repairs and then claim

i though my aa cover covered me but i dosent check the small print guys!

the towing (about 20km) and storage is going to cost 423 euros which is heavy on the bank account

i have decided that the riding back option was about as clever as it sounded to start off with and i was going to get arrested at customs and probaly get the bike towed again.

my mate has got a pickup and i should be back in the next two days

and all that is now left to walk back to the hotel allong the 258 (anyone who has been to the ring should know this road) and watch all the people return home after there weekend at the ring :cry:

tomjones2
27-06-05, 11:13 AM
oh yeah cheers for all your help guys :)

BillyC
27-06-05, 11:30 AM
All I know is that my forks were twisted, and now they aren't.....

Twisted forks, and bent forks, are two very different things ;)

tomjones2
27-06-05, 11:41 AM
are twisted forks more difficult to fix

Kate
27-06-05, 11:56 AM
All I know is that my forks were twisted, and now they aren't.....

Twisted forks, and bent forks, are two very different things ;)
:oops: Ok, have learnt that lesson now!

BillyC
27-06-05, 12:08 PM
are twisted forks more difficult to fix

Twisted forks are the easier of the two. Releasing the lower yoke bolts will allow them move more freely, and help straighten them.

Bent forks, need to be removed from the bike, and machined back to straightness by someone who a) knows what they're doing and b) has the right equipment.

Daz
27-06-05, 12:11 PM
Bent forks, need to be removed from the bike, and machined back to straightness by someone who a) knows what they're doing and b) has the right equipment.

... an industrial 'press'. I have had to have this done :oops: