PDA

View Full Version : Commuting in all weather

misssurferrosa
26-06-05, 06:57 PM
I'm starting a masters at sheffield uni in september and i'm planning on staying with my sister during the week in Morely nr Leeds. I'd like to keep my bike there to commute to Sheffield and back while getting the train home at weekends.

I know that suzukis are rather prone to the odd spot of corrosion :? so is there anything i could do to help protect my lickle baby from all the horrible spray and crap you get when riding in winter (especially that side of the pennines! :wink: )

Godikus
26-06-05, 07:47 PM
get a cover for the bike and give it a spray down with a garden hose before you cover it up.

valleyboy
26-06-05, 07:58 PM
Right, for starters, buy some ACF-50 or whatever its called.. Im getting a tin soon... cover whatever you can with it.. not sure about the brakes though!
That should help stop corrosion...

Then you want to get a fender extender for the front wheel, this will stop all manner of crap being flung up and making a mess of the front of your engine, and keep general crap off the radiator.
You also want a hugger for the rear wheel... stops lots of crap from making a mess the other side of the engine.

Generaly, clean and polish when possible, or just hoze down if not possible.. but I would recommend the odd coat of polish when possible...

and whatever anyone else recommends :)

misssurferrosa
26-06-05, 09:29 PM
Right, for starters, buy some ACF-50 or whatever its called.. Im getting a tin soon... cover whatever you can with it.. not sure about the brakes though!
That should help stop corrosion...

thanks - where can i buy it? also whats the best stuff for cleaning chains with, mines got a bit of surface rust on it?

Ceri JC
27-06-05, 11:45 AM
get a cover for the bike and give it a spray down with a garden hose before you cover it up.

Always go for a quick, rapid ride before parking it up after cleaning with a hose as you want to get any water out. This is particularly true if you're going to put it under a cover. I had dodgy electrics a couple of times before I learnt this...