PDA

View Full Version : My bike is in A&E

admin
26-06-05, 07:47 PM
After 6 years of loving care and attention, my SV has been wrecked.

On Friday morning I left my baby in the drive on two stands, whilst I took the wheels off for new tyre fitment at a local shop. I told my wife to keep the kids away from it just in case they knocked it.

So the kids left it alone, whilst my dippy wife reversed into it. Words cannot explain my frustration and rage, I went absolutely spare.

I've calmed down since but I'm now frustrated and depressed.

Damage list includes smashed left fairing, a nice big hole punched by the indicator. Rear body panel gouged. Wing mirror smashed and scratched. Broken clutch lever, broken Sunriser clamp.

The bike had been on the ground for some time, so engine oil had run up the breather pipe into the airbox and in turn into the front carb.

I removed the air filter box and got as much oil as I could out of the carb. I took out the spark plug and turned over the engine by hand. This pumped out most of the oil. I then repeated this many times with the starter motor. All seemed well.

I replaced the spark plug and started the bike. Lot's of bangs and smoke, but she started and I let her run for a good while. The engine seemed okay, although it sounds a bit odd with the airbox off.

I went off to do some other chores and let the bike cool. The air filter was completely choked in oil, so I put back the air box on it's own. The bike had been standing for a few hours, so I thought I would start it again. The starter motor made a dreadful noise but the bike started and ran okay. I stopped the engine and again a horrible clanking noise. I repeated this again and noted that the engine was fine while running, it was just during starting and stopping. I suspected the starter clutch.

Removing the alternator cover, revealed two broken teeth on the large starter gear. The smaller idle gear also had wear marks. I couldn't find anything else wrong and I found the two broken teeth.

So now I'm wondering how this happened. If I hadn't purged the front cylinder of oil, then I would have expected this, because the engine would have locked when the front pistion tried to compress the oil, but it didn't. So what put such a strain on the large gear wheel and more inportantly what other damage has been done?

I don't have the right tools to remove the alternator and starter clutch, so it looks like I'll have to get it into the local bike shop for repair and let them assess what else may be damaged.

Time for a beer.

More later

John

chazzyb
26-06-05, 07:55 PM
Oh bugger! Best trade her in for a new one. Good job the bike can be fixed though! :P

Sid Squid
26-06-05, 08:10 PM
Just echoing Chazzy's "Bugger".

Strange the damage to the starter gear, I'm thinking along the same lines as you are: You evacuated the oil from the motor so it shouldn't have hydraulically locked. Frankly I'm not convinced the SV starter has enough oomph to damage the starter gear anyway, the motor would have to be spinning the engine pretty hard* and then the engine lockup smartly to get enough torque into the gear, odd.

I'll just add another "Bugger".

*Which they don't, ever.

Biker Biggles
26-06-05, 08:13 PM
Lets be positive.
The wife owes you big time-----------?
At least the wheels are OK. :shock:

Jelster
26-06-05, 08:18 PM
And I'll add anpther..... Oh Bugger.....

Sorry to hear this John. I cam't think of what the atmosphere must be like in your place at the moment However on the bright side, if you really wanted to, there's no better excuse to get yourself a pointy one now, Suzuki dealears all doing 0%, and she can hardly say no can she.....

I wish you the best of luck, whichever way you go......

bluebell
26-06-05, 08:33 PM
Gutted for you, hope it will fix o.k.

jonboy
26-06-05, 08:58 PM
After your first PM about the bike being knocked over I thought this post was echoing that, but no there's even more aggro :shock: . Sorry to hear it John, wish you luck getting that sorted :wink: .

BURNER
26-06-05, 09:03 PM
Sorry to hear about that..
I dunno what I'd do, probably have got my own cell in strangeways for a few years tho....

fizzwheel
26-06-05, 09:09 PM
:cry: a*se sorry to hear about this

21QUEST
26-06-05, 09:20 PM
Ahh , that's is just bad. Good luck getting it sorted.

Cheers
Ben

sprocket
26-06-05, 09:25 PM
Dang ... Thats some seriously bad news ... Like was said before .. she owes you now BIG TIME.

Good luck getting it fixed :D

Stig
26-06-05, 10:00 PM
I really really don't know what I would have done had I been in your shoes. Really gutted for you John. :(

Cloggsy
26-06-05, 10:15 PM
:cry: 5h1t mate, you must be gutted...

I'm sure it was just a accident though :( :roll:

Viney
26-06-05, 10:45 PM
See...women and cars just dont mix...soemthing we have known for years ;)

It can be fixed thats the main thing. Just a pity it has to :(

Professor
26-06-05, 10:47 PM
Very sorry to hear of your accident, John.

I know this may sound sexist or politically incorrect, but for some
reason many women have problems reversing. Say, a couple of years
ago my next door neighbour (female) reversed into a car parked in
the opposite driveway. It is hard to understand how she managed to
do this as we live in a modern development and our street is quite
wide. This is just the way things are and we can't do anything about
it.

As Biker Biggles pointed out, you should think positive: now your
wife owes you big time.

Red ones
27-06-05, 05:14 AM
bugger

Each Spring I look forward to you posting the update on what you did during the winter months. This has saved me on more than one occasion from breakdowns as I have picked up on your comments. Please don't say you are having to do the work int eh summer, or even worse......

bugger

timwilky
27-06-05, 07:08 AM
Echo Bugger

I hope she will rent you a replacement whilst your SV is being repaired.

richwill68
27-06-05, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear this John :( Hope you're up and running again soon :D

Regards

Rich

admin
27-06-05, 06:16 PM
Thanks all. I've just been into my local dealer and ordered a new starter clutch.....£200 ouch. Told the wife, and she went very quiet. Lot's more bills to come yet too.

I think when this is all sorted, I'll look to part exchange for something newer, I don't think the wife can really complain given the circumstances.

As for the women driver jokes, what can I say, my wife doesn't drive, she knocked over the bike with her disability scooter, it's shorter than the SV (although almost as heavy). So she had acres of space and no visibilty problems. It's just beyond belief.

I've just been thinking about Sid's comments. I too am surprised that the teeth were broken. Electic motors do have a lot of torque but I would have to agree with Sid. the engine should have just locked solid, given that the cranking speed would not have been that high. But then again I gave it a good purge. All I can think is that there may have been a few cc's left, enough to cause a bit of resistance. Or maybe the engine pre-ignited and kicked back against the starter?

More later

John

northwind
27-06-05, 06:20 PM
It does seem like the perfect excuse :) I'm not sure if I have any of the bits you're needing but if there's anything in particular drop me a PM, I've got most of an SV's worth of spare parts out the back.

Iansv
28-06-05, 09:28 AM
Doh....

Sorry to hear this John, Can totally relate to how ****ed off you were, my sister did exactly the same thing to my first bike, was gutted...

still its a good excuse to trade up without too much argument from the missus

oh and Bugger !!!

creamerybutter
28-06-05, 10:10 AM
Bugger, hope it get sorted. On the brightside you may have a nice new bike out of it :)

DeeJay
28-06-05, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear this John, hope it all works out well for you... :cry:

pedrosis
28-06-05, 12:43 PM
Bugger

Im sorry to hear this John

Some daft bat managed to reverse into my old fz many years ago so I know how you feel. Worst one I saw was a girl learning to drive reverse OVER a new aprilia :oops:

Bugger again!!

Sarj
28-06-05, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news John, holla if you need anything.

S

mattSV
28-06-05, 08:03 PM
Bugger

Sorry to here this John. All I can offer from the parts bin is a standard screen (got a curvy & a pointy).

Spiderman
28-06-05, 08:34 PM
Scientists have proven that the female brain has diffrent ways of interpreting and understanding spatial awarness problems.... like parking or reversing things.

Maybe you should ahve told the kids to keep mum away from the bike. Kids can be so responsible some times ;)

Hope it all works out in the end.

Oh and buggerations all round.

admin
28-06-05, 10:09 PM
Thanks all. I'll let you know how it works out.

Peter Henry
29-06-05, 10:08 PM
I am speechless! :shock: However if it had happened to me...OMG the expletives would have burned out a "bleep" machine! Hope all works out ok m8. :? 8)