PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Wheels (usual suspects not cutting it)

goof
28-06-05, 12:51 PM
My recently bought SV hasn't had a very clean life, pulled about 2 stone of dirt and grease out from it already! :lol:
I've been trying to get the wheels clean but there must be some real ground in crap there - I've tried WD40, white spritis and carb clean (used with a nail brush) but can't get them 'proper clean'.

Any ideas?

minky
28-06-05, 01:06 PM
I use some wonder wheels style stuff made by Simoniz and they shine like firk :)

adam
28-06-05, 01:41 PM
A degreaser called mainclean , primarialy intended for car alloys. Use it neat (carefully) and it'll take anything off the rim. Be careful of getting it on anything else. :D

Viney
28-06-05, 01:51 PM
Parafin and one of the green scourey pads thinsg for cleaning pads! Or car polish

BillyC
28-06-05, 01:54 PM
GP Products, Chain Lube Remover.

I can't recommend this stuff enough!

minky
28-06-05, 01:56 PM
Parafin and one of the green scourey pads thinsg for cleaning pads! Or car polish

Did this with some powder coated rims and the effect was a lovely dull wheel :(

This is the stuff, don't let it hang about on there though :|

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=20259&type=0&cat=293

pedrosis
28-06-05, 03:07 PM
Or save yourself a fortune and use some kitchen/bathroom cleaner!

I have been using bathroom power or something like that from the supermarket and it is fantastic :lol:

Saint Matt
28-06-05, 03:11 PM
^^yeah, was gonna say that. The powervalve on my aprilia was seized in when i bought it and it was only shifted with mr muscle oven cleaner, that probably your best bet! Cheers, Matt

embee
28-06-05, 04:36 PM
Autoglym Motorcycle cleaner works for me, but I clean them regularly so there's not a great challenge.

I find paint on wheels isn't very tough, and any sort of abrasive (pads etc) will just take paint off.

Muttley
28-06-05, 04:43 PM
Usually give them a spray of degreaser (well, mainly the more soiled parts) before I clean the bike, rinse all that off, then after washing get at them with Wonder Wheels (available from halfords and loads of other places.).

carelesschucca
28-06-05, 05:41 PM
I'm a wonderwheels man myself its great!!! but not on powdercoated wheels, d'oh!!!

goof
28-06-05, 08:29 PM
Forgot to mention, I'd tried Amberklene de-greaser too.

As I've tried all this (including white spirits - surely as good as parafin - and a nail brush) would any of these 'off the shelf' products really be any better!?

Spiderman
28-06-05, 08:42 PM
....including white spirits - surely as good as parafin - and a nail brush

Not really tbh. Parrafin will shift most things but keep it away from the rubber cos iys very slippy. The thing is you need to give it a good rinse afterwards and then polish with mer or something like that so its easier to clean next time.

Iansv
29-06-05, 08:36 AM
Paraffin for me, cant use anything else now, just doesn't do the job as well

goof
29-06-05, 11:32 AM
Paraffin it is then, thanks lads :D

Skip
29-06-05, 12:25 PM
I use brake cleaner on mine... seems to do the job!