PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem

Anonymous
28-06-05, 02:20 PM
Battery well-charged, fuses ok...starter motor wizzes around when the button is pressed...it just doesn't engage the engine and turn it over.

:? :?

Anyone got any pointers? I've run out of ideas!

Rune
28-06-05, 02:27 PM
I had this on my bike. It turned out to be the starter coupling that had broken for no apparent reason. I had it fixed under warrenty.

Anonymous
28-06-05, 02:39 PM
Many thanks! I'll have a look at that.

anmol
29-06-05, 12:52 AM
Just got mine fixed today. Similar problem, the starter motor was fine (I bench tested it) but it wouldn't engage the crankshaft. In my case the (one-way) starter clutch was fine, but a bolt holding it on came loose.

If you have access to the Suzuki rotor removal tool, a service manual, and some mechanical skill, have a look at the clutch before you take it to a dealership ( drain the oil or be prepared for about a quart to come out when you remove the starter or LH engine cover). The starter clutch shouldn't really go bad on a 2-3 year old bike (depending on the miles). A brand new one is about $150-200 here.

Good luck,
-A

Harris
29-06-05, 11:08 AM
Just had the exact same problem, fixed under warranty, they said this was a one off but doesnt look that way. mine lasted 14months and 7500 miles

anmol
30-06-05, 01:21 AM
Mine was after 13k miles and almost 3 years. I saw some sites about the starter clutch going bad regularly on other bikes (with many more miles), but haven't heard of anything of the sort on the SVs.

Anonymous
30-06-05, 06:49 AM
Wow! You all got it spot on, and I really appreciate the assistance.

As soon as I poked my finger in the starter hole I twigged that the idler gear was spinning free! Doh!! Should have thought of that first!!!

Postscript: went to Suzi Main Dealer to check up price...store guy looks perplexed and says, "They don't often go....last for ever. Mind you, I've had probably four broken ones this month (*pulls out a stack of them*). They've also changed the design on the new ones......"

Might be more common than we know!

Thanks a lot guys/girls.

Rune
30-06-05, 07:03 AM
Hope you get it sorted soon. I had to wait 4 weeks as the part had to be ordered from Japan, there wasn't any in the whole of Europe :shock: .

Will you get it fixed under warrenty?

Anonymous
30-06-05, 07:09 AM
Will you get it fixed under warrenty?

More chance of something coming from Mars (ie, "A million to one" according to the song!!!)

Anonymous
30-06-05, 07:17 AM
They've also changed the design on the new ones......"

This always upsets me (in an angry way as opposed to crying) when something breaks and that's the response. IMO if the design's changed on the new bit it warrants (no pun intended) the bit for free :wink:

Anonymous
30-06-05, 07:48 AM
This always upsets me (in an angry way as opposed to crying) when something breaks and that's the response. IMO if the design's changed on the new bit it warrants (no pun intended) the bit for free :wink:

Well, you're dead right of course....but the design will always have been changed for "production reasons" - never because it wasn't right to start with!