PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?...

goof
29-06-05, 07:47 AM
...cos I am! :?

Been getting my new SV up to scratch over the last week - all the fairings off for a good clean, crash bungs on, front end off for fork oil seals and break pad cleaning and rear wheel off for new chain and sprockets.

I also drained the oil and changed the filter - the only engine related maintenance. However, I gave the bike a quick turn over yesterday and after about 30 seconds I started to get a little smoke around the front end and a slight 'burny' smell so I hit the kill switch.

Ok, this could've just been exhaut fumes drifiting up because I didn't have the front fairing back on yet...or it could've been WD40 or something evaporating off the exhaust downpipe after cleaning but I wanted to be safe and get some advice off you good folks first. I don't see how there could be any probs when all I've done is changed the oil :? Would I get a temp warning light if there was anything seriously wrong?

AlfBoy
29-06-05, 07:50 AM
It could be some oil you got on the exhaust pipe or side of the engine, which is burning off when the engine gets hot.

Warren
29-06-05, 09:56 AM
yeah. more than likely,

when you clean your bike with bikewash. . . sometimes it gives a funny smell when its started.

mr&mrs_sv
29-06-05, 10:58 AM
yep ditto!! just the wd40 or a little oil on the downpipe, you can't of done anything wrong with just changing the oil & filter. The oil should burn off the downpipe pretty quickly though. :D

goof
29-06-05, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, just wanted to be on safe side!