PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Oil light and 'F1' message

grisewos
29-06-05, 06:20 PM
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

My oil light has come on and a 'F1' or 'FL' message has appeared on the display (both mid-left and alternately flashing with the temp display). I've checked the oil and the level looks fine. What does this mean?

As you may have guessed I haven't got a manual for my bike!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Si.

Carsick
29-06-05, 06:37 PM
This means that the Fuel Injection (FI) system has detected a fault. Sometimes just switching the bike off completely will clear if it was something temporary. If that doesn't work then there are 2 options. You could phone your dealer and get them to sort it out (best if it's in warranty) if it's out of warranty then make the dealer mode tool as described here (http://www.sv650.org/sv_faq.htm#Adjusting%20the%20Throttle%20Position%2 0Sensor%20(TPS)%20on%20a%202003%20-%20SV)
then look up the FI code in the table I will go and look for now.

edit: this (http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/2002tl100r/tlrservicemanual/huge/4-29.JPG) should be the correct FI table.

Stig
29-06-05, 06:37 PM
When the oil light comes on it means you have a problem with oil pressure. This is assuming that it is not an electrical fault that is causing the lights to come on. Check the oil level in the site glass where you fill the oil. Bike should be on flat level ground with the bike up and balanced on the wheels not on the side stand. The book says to warm the engine and then switch off, check after a couple of minutes. But in my experience (and especially if there is a possibility of no oil in the engine) I have found that checking the oil when cold or warm made no difference to the level of the oil.

As for the FI. It stands for the fuel injection, but as I own a curvy carbed model I can't she any more light on this.

grisewos
29-06-05, 06:41 PM
I'll drop into the dealer tomorrow and get them to check it out.

Thanks for your help.

valleyboy
29-06-05, 06:52 PM
Right.. from my readings.. the red light on its own is nothing to do with oil.. the oil can symbol has to come on the display as well to indicate low oil.. the red light is a warning light to tell you somethings going/gone up sh!t creak!

Fuel injection syste:

if he fuel injection system fails, symbol mark 6 (which is FI on the display) and red indicator light 9 comes on and the display 12 (where the temp usualy reads out) indicates FI in the following two modes:

A The display 12 indicates FI and the coolant temperature alternately, and symbol mark 6 and the red indicator light comes on and remains lit.

B The display 12 indicates FI continuously and the symbol mark 6 and the red indicator light 9 blinks

The engine may continue to run in mode A, but the engine will not start in mode B

It says get yer bike to a Suzi dealer ASAP.. but if B happens.. you'll be pushing the thing home!

thor
30-06-05, 07:36 AM
Do you have an alarm? TBH, it sounds like it isn't related, but on mine the FI thing blinks when the immobiliser is engaged.

pedrosis
30-06-05, 08:28 AM
I have the same thing on mine! Im about to get it in to get it checked out.

If you swich it off and on again a few times it tends to stop. The only scary thing (found this out last night) is that you can be doing 130mph and the thing can cut out on you (on a private road officer :twisted: ) making for a scary pants filling moment!!!