PDA

View Full Version : It's always the same with DIY...

goof
30-06-05, 03:07 PM
...bits left over :lol:

Following my posts for "how do I..." and "what's that smell?" I've decided to finish it off with "where do these go?" :lol:

Have had the fairings off, clutch lever cover for front sprocket, rear wheel for rear sprocket, front wheel & front forks for fork seals. However, I seem to have two bolts left over and I can't for the life of me figure where they've come from :oops: (you always think you'll remember at the time!).

They're about 5cm long with a 12mm socket head that has a "7" printed on the head (the same as the stanchion ones). I've had a good look up and down the bike and the only place I could figure is the bolt holes on the underside of the swing arm, just beside the rear brake piston...they fit in here but from other people's pics, these holes look empty. Any idea where these go?

Oh, and whilst you're here, my brakes were ****e before (the previous owner said he probably got a bit of copper grease on them :shock: ) so I took the pads out, sanded them with wet&dry, then cleaned them with carb cleaner and re-assembled. Still seem pretty poor - could they need bled/adjusted or something instead?

Sid Squid
30-06-05, 03:28 PM
The only ones I can think of with those markings, (that you will have disturbed in the jobs you mention), are the lower yoke clamps and, on an 'S' the handlebar clamps under the top yoke.

The paddock stand bobbin holes in the swingarm have M8 threads, but are empty as standard.

philc2000
30-06-05, 03:46 PM
no idea about you're extra bolts, but how long has it been since the brakes were last bled? It's worth doing if it's more than a couple of years, obviously change the fluid too. If the lines are getting old they do tend to give - maybe time for some braided hoses. Personally I think the original brakes are crap anyway.

goof
30-06-05, 04:07 PM
Sid - checked all them, that's why this is really confusing me!

Phil - it had it's 18k mile service about a year and a half ago (though it's had little use since). Not sure if they would've been bled for that service but if not I'd guess they've probably never been done as the guy I got it from didn't really get involved in any mech. stuff.

embee
30-06-05, 04:20 PM
Hmmmm, must admit the bottom yoke sprang to mind.

Checked there are 2 bolts each side??

Early bikes had 2 front wheel spindle pinch bolts like that (later ones had only 1). :?

goof
30-06-05, 04:56 PM
yup, 2 each side :?

northwind
30-06-05, 06:10 PM
Clipon pinch bolts?

Sid Squid
30-06-05, 06:32 PM
Clipon pinch bolts?

No-one listens to me. :cry:

northwind
30-06-05, 06:37 PM
:oops:

Carsick
30-06-05, 06:45 PM
Clipon pinch bolts?

No-one listens to me. :cry:
Why would we listen to you? You've obviously never demonstrated any knowledge or experience with motorbikes.
We wouldn't want to accept any advice from a rank amateur, would we?
In fact, I reckon you were the one that Jonboy was talking about.

:wink:

who thinks he's going to kill me next time he sees me?

TSM
30-06-05, 06:50 PM
Early bikes had 2 front wheel spindle pinch bolts like that (later ones had only 1).

did you understand what he said about that?

Bottom of right fork (when sitting on bike) or left fork (when looking at bike from front) there is are pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork.

My bike is a later curvey so only has one.

Sid Squid
30-06-05, 07:08 PM
Why would we listen to you? You've obviously never demonstrated any knowledge or experience with motorbikes.
We wouldn't want to accept any advice from a rank amateur, would we?
In fact, I reckon you were the one that Jonboy was talking about.

Damn, sussed :!:

streetos
03-07-05, 05:11 PM
Go for a really hard ride and see what falls off.
Worked for me! :crutches:

Stig
03-07-05, 07:14 PM
Early bikes had 2 front wheel spindle pinch bolts like that (later ones had only 1).

Bottom of right fork (when sitting on bike) or left fork (when looking at bike from front) there is are pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork.

Would that be the bolts at the bottom of the forks that pinch the front spindle. :?: :?:

Just checking as the two quotes above are so different I thought I might be getting confused.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TSM
03-07-05, 10:05 PM

Would that be the bolts at the bottom of the forks that pinch the front spindle. :?: :?:

Just checking as the two quotes above are so different I thought I might be getting confused.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought what i wrote was understandable as it was in reply to:

Which lead me think he thought the bottom yoke bolts, not bottom of forks.

goof
04-07-05, 09:37 AM
Hi TSM,

I thought he was referring to either the bottom yoke bolts or the fork oil draining bolts. I will check the spindle bolts again just incase...

TSM
04-07-05, 12:07 PM
Hi TSM,

I thought he was referring to either the bottom yoke bolts or the fork oil draining bolts. I will check the spindle bolts again just incase...

What you are refering to as fork oil draining bolts, i beleave they hold something inside the forks down in place (someone, what is this peice called?). My ones have a allen key head when i looked.

Advice given IMHO

northwind
04-07-05, 06:44 PM
Yup, those'd be the damper rod retaining bolts that are being referred to as drain bolts there, if I'm following this right. Which I'm probably not, I wasn't earlier :) Undoing them isn't a very good idea.

goof
06-07-05, 08:35 AM
No, it's not, but I had just replaced the fork seals!

goof
06-07-05, 10:23 AM
[quote=embee]

Ding, ding! We have a winner....give that man a sausage! :lol: