PDA

View Full Version : Chain adjustment

big twin grin
30-06-05, 08:20 PM
Anyone have any tips on adjusting the chain. It seems that the adjustment plates have loads of play and on the spindle and trying to get both sides the same is a nightmare. I have adjusted the chain to 20 mm of movement up and down. Feels tighter and a bit noisier when I turn the wheel.....however my service manual says that the adjustment should be between 20-30mm. Any suggestions?

Biker Biggles
30-06-05, 08:28 PM
Avoid overtightening the chain.When the suspension compresses the chain will tighten up so you need the free play,There needs to be that amount of play at the tightest point as well.
Too little play puts big stresses on the gearbox sprocket bearings and could snap the chain.Not good.

zx6man
30-06-05, 08:29 PM
And the figures are normaly quoted when you are on the bike..so get someone to sit on it while you check

embee
30-06-05, 08:30 PM
Agree. Much better to be on the slack side than too tight.

I reckon 30mm is the absolute minimum slack you need.

Try getting someone to sit on the bike and see how much tighter it gets.

streetos
30-06-05, 08:37 PM
Should be 20 to 30 mm at the tightest point, with the weight on the wheel. It will vary as the wheel rotates. I would wind the adjusters in so that there is loads of chain slack, push the wheel fully forward and then pull the wheel back on the adjusters, half a turn on each adjuster at a time making sure the marks either side stay aligned with each other. Half a turn on the adjuster doesn't sound much but makes a big difference to the chain tension. I'm assuming the chain and sprockets are in good condition and well lubed before you start.

big twin grin
30-06-05, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys. Yes the chain has a good coating of wurth chain wax. I will slaken it off in the morning. Sounds like it is on the min limit. It did run smoother when it had 30mm plus play.

jonboy
30-06-05, 09:28 PM
Should be 20 to 30 mm at the tightest point

This really can't be over-stated enough. Slowly spin the wheel round until you find the tightest part of the chain, then adjust it.

MartinM
01-07-05, 11:50 AM
Thanks to you all for your advice. I, too have just checked chain tension, after buying the bike last week, and feel that the 20mm (though in spec) is too tight, as the front sprocket 'clucks' a bit when I push the bike about.

I didn't know that you have to sit on the bike to check the tension - that might explain everything.
I guess you must have a paddock stand Jonboy . . . . I don't, but I'm seriouly thinking of buying a centre stand.

jonboy
01-07-05, 12:33 PM
I didn't know that you have to sit on the bike to check the tension

You don't, it's just the perfect ideal. I've found that having someone sit on the bike makes very little difference to the chain tension. Just make sure you've got a good 30mm at the tightest spot and that should be fine.

I guess you must have a paddock stand Jonboy . . . . I don't, but I'm seriouly thinking of buying a centre stand.

Yes I have and it makes the job easier but again it's not necessary, the chain can be adjusted pretty well without one. Though I'd certainly advise getting one as they make doing a whole host of jobs that much easier.

(Pleasae note that the information in this post is B.A.S.A.T. approved)

Jabba
01-07-05, 01:26 PM
(Pleasae note that the information in this post is B.A.S.A.T. approved)

Good, coz he's monitoring every post, as you know.

Brand New
04-07-05, 11:39 AM
Anybody know how to adjust the chain if say, one might possess a JMC swingarm??
I can't find any little adjuster screws... :(

Scoobs
04-07-05, 12:06 PM
Anybody know how to adjust the chain if say, one might possess a JMC swingarm??
I can't find any little adjuster screws... :(

Can you post a pic or I'll have a look next time I see you.

Has it got an eccentric type adjuster? A circle with some off centre holes with the rear spindle going through?

Brand New
04-07-05, 01:38 PM
Yes Scoobs, you're right, they are eccentric adjusters. I think I might just have to rotate them..hmm, need a special tool.

Scoobs
04-07-05, 01:40 PM
Yes Scoobs, you're right, they are eccentric adjusters. I think I might just have to rotate them..hmm, need a special tool.

Not sure about toolage. They will probably be secured with pinch bolts though.

Brand New
04-07-05, 04:20 PM
pinch bolts?
I'll tell you what, I'll take everything off, then photograph it, and you can tell me what's what!! :lol: