PDA

View Full Version : Skype who has it?

Stig
30-06-05, 08:32 PM
Well :?:

I have just got it and the pc to pc calls are crystal clear AND FREE.

I have the dual phone that accepts both online and landline calls and is cordless for both.

Most excellent. :thumbsup:

So how many other Skype users do we have out there :?:

Biker Biggles
30-06-05, 08:36 PM
Is that the new Suzuki Skype 1100?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

timwilky
30-06-05, 09:33 PM
Option missing, Tried it, dumped it.

I use sip phones. and have got rid of the household phone. I have 2 ata based systems that are in daughters room and wired into the old household analogue phone system so that hall/bedroom and outside DECT phones still work.

I have a cisco sip phone in my study with 2 lines enabled on it

I use voipuser (http://www.voipuser.org) as my service provider. Their offering is interesting it costs nothing for line rental or outgoing landline calls. The cover their costs by the connection costs of incomming calls. Therefore you clock up credit. the more that phone you the more you can phone out.

They also have the ability to allocate extra lines and divert them acording to time of day and week/weekend to other phones. Again free to you.

Quality is excellent

jonboy
30-06-05, 09:34 PM
Well as BigApe knows I use it. I was initially very sceptical but have made an abrupt u-turn (as I did with the internet in '95) and say it's the future. Okay it's far from perfect in all aspects yet but there's little question that it will be.

However it's a pain to use unless you get a decent USB phone (plug and play). I've got a simple Yamamoto which works extremely well without the frills. Loads on E-bay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/Skype-phone_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQcatrefZ C3QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ3QQsalicZ3QQfhlcZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoact ionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch) at silly prices if anyone's interested.

www.skype.com

I expect Skype to save me between £1000-£1500 a year on calls (business + pleasure), so it's worth checking out.

Mr Toad
30-06-05, 09:57 PM
so how does it work then

can you only talk to people with a PC :?:

Stig
30-06-05, 09:59 PM
No you can phone anyone on skype or mobile or landline

shutdown
30-06-05, 10:06 PM
started using it then stopped but recently picked it up again.

bought one of those fixed numbers from them to get the voicemail service which has worked out really good

Ed
30-06-05, 10:31 PM
OMG more technology to get to grips with :(

Raf
01-07-05, 12:47 AM
Yep, saves me tons on calls to the family back home :)

BernardBikerchick
01-07-05, 06:24 AM
Well :?:

I have just got it and the pc to pc calls are crystal clear AND FREE.

I have the dual phone that accepts both online and landline calls and is cordless for both.

Most excellent. :thumbsup:

So how many other Skype users do we have out there :?:

me me me me!! ! use it all the time to phone me aunty in south africa ! bt rate 75 p per min skype rate 5p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about a nano second delay well worth it !! bargain !!

bbc xx

hee heeeeee I'll stalk you now via my skype line !!!! :twisted: :twisted: :P :wink:

timwilky
01-07-05, 07:20 AM
Seriously folks look at SIP. unlike tools such as Skype you do not need a pc unless you use a soft phone. The sip phone or ata if you want to use your existing handset does all the work. You can talk phone to phone without going through any servers. or sip to pstn/mobile at very cheap rates. sipgate.co.uk offers a service of a 1000 landline minute/month for about £6. out of which calls to mobiles work out about 15p/minute. and international landlines are very cheap.

also rember that sip to sip is generally free.

will
01-07-05, 08:10 AM
works really well, wife's brother lives in singapore and her sister is in seattle so am expecting it save a fair bit of money.

easy to use, and no complaints.

mysteryjimbo
01-07-05, 08:41 AM
I've got it, just never used it. It seems i never call anyone.

timwilky
01-07-05, 09:08 AM
I've got it, just never used it. It seems i never call anyone.

Thats cos you got a pair of balls.

old fly joke.

wife walks into house and sees husband with fly swatter.
killed any?
yes 3 male and 2 female.
how do you know what sex they were?
well 3 were on the beer can and two on the telephone

:lol: :lol:

BillyC
01-07-05, 09:46 AM
About 4 or 5 years ago I put together an IT solution for a friends Dad. He's basically an independent international businessman/consultant.

I'm now putting together another machine for him, as the old one is a little long in the tooth, and discovered that he's using Skype now.

He reckons it saves him £100's a month for his international calls, and swears by it!

Jelster
01-07-05, 10:04 AM
I've just set up a SIPgate account, which gives you a normal telephone number. I have opted for a central London area code, but you can get one in any area.

www.sipgate.com

I do have skype, just don't really use it.

jonboy
01-07-05, 10:16 AM
You can get a Skype London number too, I certainly have one which includes voicemail and is hardly expensive - worth checkng out.

But which ever route you take VOIP is the future.