PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel spindle - reassurance needed / laugh at me...

steve mac
01-07-05, 09:57 AM
Hey all, bit of an embarrassing question this - but I've got so much on my mind it's hard to think straight.

I've got an '01 SVS and I noticed last night that my front wheel spindle doesn't have a nut on the left (side-stand) side. It looks like the spindle itself has a thread that screws into the fork lowers from the right (oil sight) side.

Can't remember whether there should be a nut on the left side and I'm asking as I got a new set or tyres fitted a week ago. And I've not had much luck with the bike recently...

Can anyone stop laughing long enough to tell me whether there should be a nut on the left side?

Cheers, Steve.

Scoobs
01-07-05, 10:03 AM
S'OK.

Spindle pushes through from the right (as you sit on the bike) and threads into the left fork. It is then retained by pinch bolts in the bottom of the fork legs.

steve mac
01-07-05, 10:05 AM
Thanks Scoobs, that's all I needed to hear.

Kind of had a rouch few weeks so brain has changed to mush.

Take it easy mate!

Cheers, Steve.

Viney
01-07-05, 10:08 AM
Mines got a nut on the left hand side :?

Iansv
01-07-05, 10:12 AM
so's mine........

Scoobs
01-07-05, 10:13 AM

Maybe mine has fallen off as well then. Mine 100%, definitely has NOT got a nut. There is a hex head on the right only.

Not doubting your word Viney (you are bigger than me), but go and double check mate.

OF.uk
01-07-05, 10:21 AM
Mine's not got one, never had one and never will :?

svpilot
01-07-05, 12:11 PM
S'OK.

Spindle pushes through from the right (as you sit on the bike) and threads into the left fork. It is then retained by pinch bolts in the bottom of the fork legs.

My 99 bike is as Scoobs described, you can see the spindle on a couple of the pics on my webpage (click link in my sig) If you want to put you mind at rest :wink:

embee
01-07-05, 02:07 PM
the service manuals for the curvy and the K3 show both have the spindle threaded into the left fork slider with no nut.

http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm

K1 = page 6-6 Chassis
K3 = page 7-12 Chassis

the K1 has a hexagon head on the spindle, the K3 has a hexagon socket in the end by the looks of it.

chazzyb
01-07-05, 02:31 PM
I suspect some peeps are confusing right and left. :lol:

Viney
01-07-05, 02:33 PM

Maybe mine has fallen off as well then. Mine 100%, definitely has NOT got a nut. There is a hex head on the right only.

Not doubting your word Viney (you are bigger than me), but go and double check mate.

hahahaha...reels in fishy ;)

Iansv
01-07-05, 02:35 PM

hahahaha...reels in fishy ;)

:wink: :lol:

mysteryjimbo
01-07-05, 02:57 PM
Most SV's have a NUT on the seat......

Scoobs
01-07-05, 05:46 PM
Most SV's have a NUT on the seat......

That one must have fallen off as well on my bike. :oops: