PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life

scousegit
01-07-05, 03:50 PM
Hi,has anyone experienced similar probs to me,2003 SV650S K3,3600mls on clock,advised by mate(GSXR Rider) to start using an Optimiser type charger when the bike was not in use,Got an Acumen type one from Fowlers,and within a month I have started getting probs,Continuos clicking from under seat,engine wont start,contacted Fowlers,they said that the Battery was shot,qouted £85 for new one,got one with better guarantee,2 yrs from Busters for £42.50 inc del,b4 I am going to put it on,I contacted Acumen Tech Service,I told them the story and also that the Headlights come on when you turn the Ignition on,They said that K5 and K6 models only have the Lights come on AFTER the engine has started,Is anyone else aware of any problems,why would Suzuki change things unless there was a problem? :cry:

Red ones
01-07-05, 04:03 PM
I got an Accumate and I don't trust it - the connections are rubbish so the charger says the battery is shot when it is fine and in return doesn't charge properly. I have it planned to take the accumate apart and rebuld it with better connections!

Baldood did well out of me - though I now have a spare battery.

Carsick
01-07-05, 06:04 PM
I can't necessarily help with the problem, but the clicking under the seat is probably the starter relay if it's when you are trying to start.

You said K5 and K6 but the K6 isn't out yet. If you meant K4 then it's not true, the lights all come on as soon as you turn the key. From what I've seen the K3 is the same in this regard.

tigersaw
02-07-05, 01:14 AM
The K5 lights are on all the time, EXCEPT when the starter motor is running.

Carsick
02-07-05, 08:36 AM
The K5 lights are on all the time, EXCEPT when the starter motor is running.
I've never looked to see if the lights cut out for the starter. Will have a look today.

edit: they just dim because of the power drain, but I'm sure they don't switch off.

tigersaw
02-07-05, 10:26 AM
When I bought the bike, the dealer pointed out the lights were always on, they cannot be turned off, though (he said) the headlamps are turned off when starting to preserve current for the starter motor - just leaving the sidelights.
However, never given it much attention, will check later.

tigersaw
02-07-05, 02:29 PM
Just checked, the headlamps do go off when cranking the starter motor, the sidelights remain on.

kwak zzr
02-07-05, 04:42 PM
no probs with my k3 and its left for days sometimes weeks without being used.

Balddood
03-07-05, 06:50 PM

What did i do?

Sean

Confused

Professor
03-07-05, 08:27 PM
Hi,has anyone experienced similar probs to me,2003 SV650S K3,3600mls on clock,advised by mate(GSXR Rider) to start using an Optimiser type charger when the bike was not in use.

I don't see why you have to use a charger on a bike that is only 2 years
old. Mine is also a SV650S K3, with 6200mls on the clock, and I never
had problems starting it and never used a charger. Even if you use
your bike very infrequently it should still start OK as it is so new.

Red ones
03-07-05, 09:14 PM

What did i do?

Sean

Confused

You, clearly unwittingly, sold me a new battery!

Balddood
03-07-05, 09:18 PM

What did i do?

Sean

Confused

You, clearly unwittingly, sold me a new battery!

Ahhh. I see, said the blind man to his deaf daughter. You must have asked for me to sell you one though lol. Either way, you now have a spare battery for when the one you have DOES go down :)

Sean

Clearly Unwittingly :shock:

Red ones
03-07-05, 09:31 PM
That's fine - I hammer my battery and ride daily - a spare is a good idea