PDA

View Full Version : Getting exhaust system off...

valleyboy
01-07-05, 06:50 PM
Ive undone every bolt I can get at.. and even cut the ones that decided to get narky with me... but I cant for the life of me get the thing to budge!

It feels rock solid in place.. there are no more bolts.. it should just fall out.. but the hell it will!

front downpipe bolts are undone on the top, and at the bottom.. wont move a bit.. Ive tried persuading it.. with the rubber amllet... still no joy.. the damn things driving me insane!!! argghghghghg!

ANYONE thats gotten their front downpipes, and midsection off, please please please give me some hints!!!!

Cheers!

And yes, I have undone the bolt next to the sidestand.. well, actualy cut it, as it decided to mangle itself...

Rune
01-07-05, 10:15 PM
Did you loosen the bolt on the metal clamp at the back of the header assembly (rear cylinder)? If so, have you tried pushing down then pulling up and back on the end can? Did you spray WD 40 on the joints (no not the smokeable ones) and let it soak for a while?

I did all of the above, and it worked. I'm sure one of the oracles will turn up with some more advice in a bit...

K
02-07-05, 01:24 PM
If I recall correctly there may be two bolts hiding away underneath - one I almost missed first time round and only saw when I looked under the bike from teh nearside as well - but it could be that it's this 'sidestand bolt' you've already refered to. :roll:

Mine was an absolute **** to get off - and I wasn't touching the two 'manifold' pipes. I was just trying to get the rear/mid section off.

I would hesitantly suggest starting her up and letting the exhaust get a bit warm and then trying to remove it again. This was what finally made mine come off really easily (after about three weekends struggling with it), but I hadn't cut any bolts, so did them back up 'finger tight' before starting the engine.
Everything I'd tried previously, WD 40 etc, had been with the exhaust cold.

Just wear gloves (I used my gardening gloves) or wrap parts in teatowels so you don't burn yourself! (Safety disclaimer. :wink: )

Topaz
02-07-05, 05:32 PM
If your not sure that you have loosened all the bolts, then may be the service manual might be of help.

http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm

A.

sprocket
02-07-05, 05:35 PM
LOL I had a similar problem when I was trying to get my slip on exhaust off :D undid all the relevant bolts and even ended up whacking it with a rubber mallet in the end .. still didn't come off so I gave up LOL :D good luck.

Topaz
03-07-05, 07:18 AM
Actually, the service manual doesn't appear to be much help here.
The Parts Fiche, fig 13, could help you determine if all the necessary bolts and clamps are undone.

It should be a relatively straight forward operation to remove a standard Suzuki exhaust (or one where only the original can has been cut off, and a replacement attached via a link pipe) as the front and rear downpipes are separated (the lowest part of the exhaust pipes).

On the other hand you may have an after-market system, such as a Micron Beta exhaust (which I had until I changed it to an Akra system). Unlike the standard Suzuki exhaust system, the Micron has both the front and rear exhausts connected by a single piece of metal, so that it looks like a captial "C" on its side. The problem is that this construction effectively makes the two down-pipes into a large spring.

Consequently, I learnt that you cannot be timid when trying to insert or extract these down-pipes. I just had to apply quite a lot of force, progressively, having first made sure that the bike was secure on paddock or frame stands, and anything else to stop it moving or falling over.

I have no experience with any other type of exhaust setups, so please adapt the above to your situation.

A.

valleyboy
03-07-05, 10:18 AM
It came off :D

I used a rubber mallet and went a bit mad... it eventuly came off, looks like there was a load of crap sticking it all together...

Still need to sort out a new bolt though for the sidestand part of the connection.... but theres plenty of copperslip on it now, so it should just fall off next time :lol:

Its all been wirewooled and cleaned up with autosol.. no more rust on it! woohoo! just need to fix my Remus now!