PDA

View Full Version : Suspension tips for a fat git

Mikey G
02-07-05, 10:02 PM
:lol:

No i aint changing the shock, but whats the best setting for a 16 stone newbie to bikes? currently on its standard preload setting but if improvements can be made then what are they?

I'm more of a car person when it comes to these sort of things and i dont understand that suspension on 2 wheels is really gonna make a difference :lol:

Also to save me doing another thread, my tyres are on the way out, whats better than the standard fitment? bearing in mind all year riding so no summer slicks and a bit of wear resistence wouldnt go amiss :wink:

Thanks

Mikey

streetos
02-07-05, 10:31 PM
I would say stick it on it's hardest setting. The bike should sag about 30mm when you put your weight on.
As far as tyres go, Conti Road Attack seem to be favourite. They'll be my next tyres, don't really like my Avon Azaros. Check out the tyre section of the forum for loads of advice.

wheelnut
02-07-05, 10:54 PM
well you being a light weight, the best advice is leave well alone. I tried to adjust my preload and made the bike feel crap, I went the other way and it tried to toss me off, :shock:

Im back on standard settings, it is fine honestly, though it might struggle with you as a pillion :P

Im a tad over 16 stone, if a tad is about 2 stone :oops:

Mikey G
02-07-05, 11:07 PM
well you being a light weight, the best advice is leave well alone.
Thanks i know nothing where bikes are concerned :)
I went the other way and it tried to toss me off, :shock:
You have a close relationship with your bike? :lol:

Im a tad over 16 stone, if a tad is about 2 stone :oops:

I feel so much better now :oops: :lol: :wink:

Just been reading the thread on the road attacks, look tempting :)

RandyO
03-07-05, 12:52 AM
I don't know what a stone is but in pounds, I weight 300 pounds with my gear on.

IIRC stock setting is 2, I actually like the sfter ride, but it also squats and gets the front wheel in the air on hard throttle in 1 & 2 the hardest tetting is too harsh for me, I keep my preload right in the middle @ click # 4

wheelnut
03-07-05, 06:41 AM
I don't know what a stone is but in pounds, I weight 300 pounds with my gear on.

IIRC stock setting is 2, I actually like the sfter ride, but it also squats and gets the front wheel in the air on hard throttle in 1 & 2 the hardest tetting is too harsh for me, I keep my preload right in the middle @ click # 4

300 lbs is 21.4 stone

We use Stones which are 14 lb's