PDA

View Full Version : Shark S500 Review: the TWO helmet

Jabba
17-07-05, 08:08 PM
After a brief 20 mile ride I thought I'd share my views on the Shark S500. Please note that this is the "S500" and not the "S500 Air", although I suspect that the differences are limited to the styling of the vents.

Comfort:
Absolutely fine for me. The helmet is way lighter than my flip-front and a nicer place to put my head. I can't believe how light it is; but that's probably just me not being used to anything other than a heavy flip-front. The venting seems to work and there was a lovely cooling breeze over the top of my bonce even at low speeds.

Wearing shades proved no problem.

Noise:
Significantly quieter than my flip front. This is probably down to a properly sealed visor, a snug fit and the lack of a flip-front. However, ear plugs were a must for anything other than brief bouts of high speed on my naked Hornet.

There is also a bit of "Roger Whittaker" doing life-savers at 50+mph. I think that this was as a result of the top-front vents being open. Not too loud, though.

Visor:
The "Push One" QR visor system is very impressive. In any visor position other than closed, simply press the button and off it pops :D Couldn't be easier.

The ratchet mechanism holds the visor firmly shut during high-speed life-savers and the sealing between lid and visor looks perfect.

Stability:
for me, the best bit. Life-savers on the motorway weren't a problem, and not a hint of the visor trying to open.

I experienced some slight upward pressure from the lid at motorway speeds, but don't forget that that's on a naked bike. Miles better in this regard than my other lid, which would fly off if it weren't for the chin-strap :shock:

Overall:
I'm pleasantly surprised, and for the normal retail cost of around £100 it's good value. And at £60 or so on the 'net, they will be hard to beat.

Did well in the Ride mag tests a couple of months ago. Try an HJC AC11, £100 from Infinity or Hein Gericke, as well and buy the one that fits best.

I give it 9/10 :D

Vod
31-07-05, 10:31 PM
Looking to get one of these as soon as I can find me a black k5

wounded, absolutely gutted that i missed the two offer though, looking at a ton now :(

still at least i won't have to buy a disc lock i suppose

Jabba
03-08-05, 06:38 PM
wounded, absolutely gutted that i missed the two offer though, looking at a ton now :(

The very swish-looking S500 Air os going for £59.99 delivered on www.racevisors.co.uk

HTH

Warren
07-09-05, 09:52 PM
they sent me the s500 air :) got it this morning.

Andy13_uk
10-11-05, 08:31 PM
nice reveiw! got any pics of the helmets? i know which one your talking about as was about to get one before i relised i needed boots first, seems like some bargins online aswell