PDA

View Full Version : helmets- what do you guys have?

jenni
22-07-05, 06:27 PM
As I now need a new helmet by Wednesday I was wondering what you guys go for?

Previously I just went to my scoot shop and spent about £50 - £70
My last helmet was a takachi which is by far the best i've had but now i'm knocking on the door of proper biker-dom...

What do you guys wear? and how much do you spend?

northwind
22-07-05, 06:33 PM
I love my Arai Condor despite its poor venting... Well made, looks good, very comfy, and it's lasted far better than the HJC it replaced. I think it was £250 including the dark visor but I could be wrong. That was a year ago... I really wanted a Roof Daytona but they didn't fit :(

zx6man
22-07-05, 06:46 PM
shoei XR1000 330 smackeroos..and 60 for the black visor

kwak zzr
22-07-05, 07:01 PM
hjc ac-11 zeek 2nd best in ride magazine tests only £99 good for the money.

Scoobs
22-07-05, 07:03 PM
AGV Like below. Reduced to £160 from £270, plus £34 for the black visor.

Anonymous
22-07-05, 07:18 PM
Any helmet will do - motorcycle attire is just as subject to the same designer-name syndrome as other clothing. Just because it's got Arai on it doesn't mean it will do any less of a job than a £60 HJC helmet - and at the end of the day if you do crash, the latter is much cheaper to replace.

I use a £70 KBC helmet and have a set of Hein Gericke Celtic leathers, armoured Richa gloves and unnamed boots - the whole lot cost me less than an Arai RX-7 helmet. Bonus.

BURNER
22-07-05, 07:23 PM
AGV, got it cheap at the G-MEX show £80-.
Looking for a new one tho, maybe queiter and with less misting problems.

northwind
22-07-05, 07:25 PM
True, any one will do- though it's not really accurate to say that they all do the job as well as the next. They all pass the basic certification but a lot of companies test to a higher standard. Also, cheaper lids tend to be heavier which has a strong causal link with vertebra injuries. Still, no doubt in my mind it's better to have decent gear all over than a great lid and cheap rubbish elsewhere.

The real difference, IMO, is comfort and lastability. A year and 10000 miles or so in, my Arai is as close-fitting and comfortable as it was straight after breaking it in. By comparison, my HJC was rattling on my head after about 6000 miles and if I wear it now, feels like it's got nails for padding. It eventually became so loose it was no longer safe, while the Arai's still a perfect fit. I've never found a cheaper lid that comes close to the Arai for comfort. Also, when I cracked a side-cover, I could get a new one over the counter at my dealership, while spares for the HJC I had were basically unobtainable.

But like anything else, you get diminishing returns- for me the Condor was about as high as I'd go. For daily use when your lid can get ruined so easily, the really expensive ones seem a daft expense to me.

Jabba
22-07-05, 07:36 PM
Get yourself over to a Hein Gericke shop and try on a HJC AC-11. They have them at £99.99 instead of £200. Infinity are also doing them at that price. Did really well in a recent Ride magazine test.

Can't remember who it was without searching, but someone on here ordered a Shark S500 Air from racevisors.co.uk (http://www.racevisors.co.uk/index.cfm/view_id/4/details/true/code/X-SHA-AIR) for £59.99 delivered. Very smart and that's is a great price - should have been about £110 I think. Also did well in the Ride test.

I've just got a Shark S500 c/o the T.W.O. magazine subscription offer and like it a lot. The visor change mechanism is pure magic.

The bottom line is that a proper and comfortable fit are for more important than a brand name and a paint job.

falc
22-07-05, 07:41 PM
I think comfort/fitting is the most important aspect. Look for the gold stamp mark on the back and then try it on. Everyone has a different shaped heads and everyones helmet will change depending on this.

You could have the most expensive helmet and in a crash it didnt fit properly could ride up and you could bust your chops on the tarmac or worse.

From personnal experience my Shark RSR is very good but the HJC i had before after a couple of months just didnt fit, starting rattling about, I promptly changed after er testing said helmet (which it did very well i may add)

Also all helmets will loosen up after a month or however long and so its good when buying to go for one that is a little snug or tight then usual as it will loosen up by a certain degree.

Hope some of that helps!

Biker Biggles
22-07-05, 07:57 PM
Listen to Northwind.Quality does count in terms of comfort and longevity.
But do shop around and try to get a good lid at a good price.
BTW Shoei intercepter for me.Getting on a bit now(and the lid :lol: )but bought for about £150.

Ed
22-07-05, 08:08 PM
Shoei Raid ('Strike' design) - £199. Good lid, will need replacing soon so I'm taking all this on board.

Jp
22-07-05, 08:28 PM
AGV - Demon vent.

£90 from J+S in Northwich

embee
22-07-05, 08:28 PM
I agree with the comments made above.

A helmet comparison test showed all the ones tested gave pretty decent protection, so the no.1 requirement is get one that fits properly. I've usually found the bike mag tests (Ride etc) are pretty reliable, if they say it's the best of the bunch it's at least near the top of the list.

I also agree 100% with Northwind, I'm on my 3rd Arai and the quality lasts. My previous one was 8yrs old (yes, I know....) but looked and fitted like it was new. Same with Shoei if they suit you better. It's the quality of the materials and build that you pay for (OK there may be some designer-label price aswell 8) ).

The BMW integral helmet is around £180 usually and has had very good recommendations on here.

Check out the Clothing&Helmets forum on here if you haven't already.

Anonymous
22-07-05, 08:29 PM
Does this mean Weds is your BIG day????

GOOD LUCK!!!!

M.C.
22-07-05, 08:33 PM
suomy gunwind good lid but may replace it this year probably with an arai

Glynmitch
22-07-05, 08:39 PM
Shark S500 Air £49.99 or £59.99 delivered :shock: Bargain!!

http://www.thebikereview.com/iup/get8.asp?ID=820

K
22-07-05, 08:42 PM
I'm really please with my Arai Condor. Lovely fit, relatively quiet and not too heavy.

Also, having a little head, I find it doesn't make me look like the Meekon or some other kind of swell-headed-alien.

This is mainly down to the fact the Arai have one of the smallest basic shells, so the whole helmet fits snugly. As opposed to some where they have a larger shell and simply make the interior padding thicker = therefore more likely to degrade to a larger degree.

This is why Arais generally stay fitting well for longer, they have the largest size range of basic shells apparently.
OK, so I was bored and read it on their website a while ago.

I can only really echo what has been said already - top priority is making sure it fits well. Try as many different makes as you can find within your budget, as each one with be configured slightly differently, and so fit slightly better or worse.

Shop around, it's worth the time in the long run.

And good luck on Wednesday if that's when you've got your test. :thumbsup:

Wiltshire7
22-07-05, 08:54 PM
ive got an arai condor and i recon its damn good. If it has removable lining i wouldnt hesitate in getting another.

Ill be needing a new lid soon and im gonna try and stay with Arai, they fit my head pefectly.

i recently had a roof daytona but had to send it back. as much as i wanted it, the fit just wasnt good enough. also it was no where near as quality on the inside as my condor.
shame cos they look damn good.

El Saxo
22-07-05, 09:10 PM
Shoei Raid II (see my avatar).

I tried it on because of the recommendation in RiDE magazine, and it turned out the be the lid that fit me best anyway. At £250 not the cheapest lid out there, but I'm well pleased with it. Really comfy, visor mechanism v.easy to use and good vents. Top stuff. :)

Valman
22-07-05, 10:11 PM
Arai RX7 Corsair:
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/thumbs/rx7_corsair_black.jpg

They're expensive and noisy but I couldn't find anything that fitted my head as well as this thing did.

Moo
22-07-05, 10:58 PM
shoei XR1000 330 smackeroos..and 60 for the black visor

Same brought it because it was lighter than the shoei RXR I had makes a big differance.
The pin lock visor system works really well.

Saint Matt
22-07-05, 11:12 PM
AGV V flyer, bit buggered after an 8 foot drop onto a tile floor :shock:

Supervox
22-07-05, 11:29 PM
Shoei Raid II (Templar)

A tad noisier than my old Shoei & no rear vents - but much lighter, pinlock system works very well, & £100 cheaper at £250 + £35 for a blue iridium visor. This was also bought after reading Ride magazine's review.

Lazer Revolution - used in bad weather. The 'pilot mask' arrangement is absolutely brilliant - absolutely ZERO misting up - & the flip down internal sun visor is a bonus too !!

Treacle
22-07-05, 11:51 PM
Shoei XR1000 and its the kippers tits!

kingnothing
22-07-05, 11:53 PM
Just got a new Shoei for $180!

Warren
22-07-05, 11:58 PM
i tried on lots of helmets .. . and i gotta say my KBC is the most comfortable one i tried . . .had it a year now and the quality is still like new.

my HJC which i wear less than the KBC is in a terrible shape - all the paddings gone funny and really baggy. . . so its kept as a spare - to be replaced by my free shark helmet from t.w.o if they havent run outta helmets by now.

WelshWop
23-07-05, 02:33 AM
Suomy Spec-R1 Troy Bayliss rep, £300.
Bought it on apperance alone over the net before tring it on. Its a really nice helmet and did its job in a crash but it doesnt fit my head perfectly.
Im after a new helmet in the next few weeks, and this time im definately trying them out first to see which fits me best.

Professor
23-07-05, 05:23 AM
A Bieffe for £31.50 and a Shark RSF2 for £99. The Bieffe feels a bit loose
now but the Shark is still as snug as the day I bought it.

Clunk
23-07-05, 08:57 AM
HJC ZF-7, I think.

Its done about 17,000 miles over 3 years and feels good as new.
Never had a problem with loosening fit or finish.
I would defo get another HJC.

Last Action Pimp
23-07-05, 09:24 AM
Best Lid i ever had Only £150

http://www.motorcyclestyle.com/5021/monox2open.jpg

richwill68
23-07-05, 09:26 AM
Remember.....THE BEST HELMET IS THE ONE THAT FITS! :wink:

Try loads on and see which ones fit your head size and shape.

I use a Roof RO10. Had it now for 2 years, fit is still perfect, finish lasts well, it's quiet and doesn't mist up.

You pays your money and takes your choice, mate! Shop around and try lots of different manufacturers; not all makes will suit you. As an example, Ive yet to find an AGV that will stay on my noggin when pulled in the right way, with the strap done up tight! :shock:

There are some simple things to try with the lid on to see if it's right for you. If you want more advice on this, drop me a PM.

Rich

Cloggsy
23-07-05, 09:58 AM
Suomy Gunwind

http://www.bikeronline.co.uk/suomy%20gunwind%20uk.jpg

Wiltshire7
23-07-05, 10:25 AM
there is no way id even consider wearing an open face or flip up helmet. my last off saw me sliding on my front and my lid has skid marks right down the jaw section. my visor flipped off under it too.

if i was wearing an open face lid it weould have been my lower face that was skidding, making me lose my boyish good looks and leaving me with half a face!

ur a brave man for using a flip helmet!

Last Action Pimp
23-07-05, 10:31 AM
its gold racing aproved. so it must be reasonable. mine is well designed and i am going to buy the same again (almost had it 2 years)

MarkyBoy
23-07-05, 11:22 AM
Just got myself a Shoei Raid 2 in Matt Black for 190, great padding, great venting. was the best middle class lid I could find, didnt want a cheapy as I didnt feel happy with the padding, wasnt prepared to pay 300 plus so this was a good comprimise. only down side I can find about the helmet is that its the old buckle strap not the new seat belt quick release.

at the end of the day its a personal preference, as long as its gold approved you know you are getting a level of quality.

let us know what you end up getting!

Muttley
23-07-05, 11:47 AM
there is no way id even consider wearing an open face or flip up helmet. my last off saw me sliding on my front and my lid has skid marks right down the jaw section. my visor flipped off under it too.

ur a brave man for using a flip helmet!

That is why they are only approved for use when closed, as in they only comply to safety standards when shut.

Muttley
23-07-05, 11:51 AM
Look for the gold stamp mark on the back and then try it on.

Why?

I assume you mean an ACU gold sticker.

Jabba
23-07-05, 12:16 PM
Look for the gold stamp mark on the back and then try it on.

Why?

I assume you mean an ACU gold sticker.

I was wondering that, too.

The gold ACU sticker basically means the lids "approved" for racing and trackdays. Some lids don't have 'em, either because the ACU haven't tested 'em or because they are of an "unapproved" type, e.g. many flip-fronts. Don't discount a lid just because it doesn't have a gold ACU sticker.

Try looking for the E2/E3 approval via a sew on marking on the chin-strap.

Ransom
23-07-05, 01:27 PM
I've got the AGV Ti-tech and i cannot praise it enough 8)

Alot of money though!

Cazza
23-07-05, 04:52 PM
Arai Astro J x 2.

Usual RRP is £400, but got one for £300 (at J&S) and the other for £270 at the Bike Show at Alexandra Palace.

Absolutely no complaints. Incredibly comfortable and nice and light.

My understanding is that if you've got an 'Arai' head then you won't fit a Shoei - and vice versa. Don't know about the other brands.

Shop around - and consider getting a bargain at the next bike show.

You've only got one heeed - do everything you can to protect it.

Quiff Wichard
23-07-05, 11:48 PM

I saw the title of this thread...HELMETS- WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE.??

expected first post to be Scoobs!!!

1. it wasnt
2. I have to give my house to charity now.... as the above was NOT the reply I expected Scoobs to come out with..and my little bet with myself was my home !! as i was soooo sure

1. Either scoobs is on a final pervy warning
2 You are losin yer touch mr innuendo man !!

Warren
23-07-05, 11:52 PM

I saw the title of this thread...HELMETS- WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE.??

expected first post to be Scoobs!!!

1. it wasnt
2. I have to give my house to charity now.... as the above was NOT the reply I expected Scoobs to come out with..and my little bet with myself was my home !! as i was soooo sure

1. Either scoobs is on a final pervy warning
2 You are losin yer touch mr innuendo man !!

i was thinking the same . . .but thought best not say anything to start him off ;)

Quiff Wichard
23-07-05, 11:53 PM
see he is so predictable...!!
lol

Scoobs
24-07-05, 09:29 AM
see he is so predictable...!!
lol

:cry:

jenni
24-07-05, 02:16 PM

GOOD LUCK!!!!

yes it does :oops: ...thanks

hope the stitches in my @rse don't put me off too much :shock:

Tara
24-07-05, 04:30 PM

GOOD LUCK!!!!

yes it does :oops: ...thanks

hope the stitches in my @rse don't put me off too much :shock:

Good luck Jenni - my lid is an AGV - Kinetic Rossi replica

nuntius
25-07-05, 11:40 AM
Got a gloss black shark rsf. Nice and simple. Got a black isor coming for it this week because my glasses are ****ing me off now.

PBx
25-07-05, 11:48 AM
Mine's a Suomy Gunwind (black coz it was cheapest). Like lots on here I'm due a new one - looks like the shops will be doing good trade. Think I'll try to hang out till the bike shows for a deal. :)

SVeeedy Gonzales
25-07-05, 12:08 PM
I had an Arai Quantum (in a sale for £250) for 18 months then got hold of a Takachi TK30 (probably about £40 - came free with a hire bike after getting knocked off) and I preferred the Takachi. Maybe slightly noisier than the Arai but I preferred the visibility over the Arai. When I went down the road last month the Takachi got battered to bits but I was fine so it's fine from a safety point of view.

Doubt I'd spend much on a helmet now, unless the features were really worth it. Very tempted by the Shoei Raid 2 (£200) or the HJC 11 (£100) as they did well in 'Ride' tests recently.

suzsv650
25-07-05, 01:07 PM

yeah the best one ! altho rossi rep like mine = vvvvv best!

Amanda M
25-07-05, 01:09 PM
I've got an Arai Astro J. I'd buy another one as well even though they cost a lot because it fits perfectly and it's excellent quality.

wheelnut
25-07-05, 03:12 PM
I think that each make will only fit certain shaped heads, be wary of buying cheap helmets with no Euro markings on them as they are illegal in the UK. They may be perfectly safe in France or Belgium though.

I have an AGV Flyer II which fits perfectly but I find it noisy at times. I like the pinlock system, it works well, so my next helmet may be a Schoei with removable lining to get the bugs out :P

I also need one suitable for the track

Enzo
25-07-05, 04:05 PM
I have a Shark RSR Race in silver with an "illegal" mirrored visor. It's my second Shark and I love it. I got it half price from Infinity for £175 last year.

Cloggsy
25-07-05, 04:11 PM
I have a Shark RSR Race in silver with an "illegal" mirrored visor. It's my second Shark and I love it. I got it half price from Infinity for £175 last year.

Why is it illegal :?: Is it mirrored on the inside :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joke :roll:

Anonymous
25-07-05, 04:20 PM
I have a Shoei XR1000 which is nice athough since wearing my too small Arai Tour-X it now seems too big. One too big, one too small. Its right for me at least the Arai/Shoei head thing. I have a Shoei head.
Probably irrelevant but for anyone interested the Arai is noisy, vibrates oddly making things seem out of focus and somehow lets rain inside. Looks nice tho :lol: Turns into an offroad helmet tho when those things are less important.

Sid Squid
25-07-05, 04:52 PM
Arai RX7XX Corsair, dear but gorgeously comfy to wear, previous lid was an RX7 too and before that an Arai Giga, I like Arais.

Moriarty
27-07-05, 01:22 PM
Dead boring I know, but I've a Shoei Raid II (got it for £180 - bargain) and that's pretty nice.

First lid I had was a Nitro 600. Cheap, wouldn't last past it's second birthday but comfy and good value.

I did buy an AGV at the bike show but Id advise against them based on mine ans Swiss' experiences...

minky
27-07-05, 01:53 PM
Got an Arai Quantum F with CaraCoat visor cost me £575 then my neices decided it would be fun to trow it around on a tiled floor :shock: so I have a Shoei Raid II & Iridium visor winging it's way to me for the princely sum of £195 :D

Best advise it to find the helmet that fits you, suits your needs and is within your price range then ask peoples advice on it.

Oh and I notice it's the big day so how did you go?

Professor
27-07-05, 03:40 PM
Got an Arai Quantum F with CaraCoat visor cost me £575 then my neices decided it would be fun to trow it around on a tiled floor :shock:

What did you do with your nieces? Whatever you did a court would acquit
you.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Homer bought very expensive
trainers and Santa's Little Helper ate them.

Tim in Belgium
14-08-05, 05:28 PM
HJC ac 11, wore it for a week doing my CBT and DAS and forgot it was there, so presume that it's pretty comfy!

acedeluxe
22-08-05, 12:29 AM
Icon Mainframe. love the fit but the rubatone finish chips easily.

SVeeedy Gonzales
22-08-05, 03:04 PM
After Inifinity motorcycles being totally useless in selling me a HJC AC11, I went for the HJC CS12 after trying one on at my local Suzi dealer (though I then bought it online for a load less).

Brilliant fit, loads of features, makes my Arai Quantum look cheap (apart from the visor action). Way quieter and less windblast... and in this design/colour :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/apridmore/29_12_sb.jpg

fizzwheel
22-08-05, 03:47 PM
<------- that one

Shoei XR900, love it to bits

Was trying on latest Colin Edwards Rep Arai at the weekend, slightly more comfortable, and wider aperture to peer through

think thats what I'll be getting when I change Lids next year

BURNER
15-11-05, 12:34 AM
Got a Caberg V2, soon as bike is repaired I'll tell you how it is :roll:

northwind
15-11-05, 12:39 AM
What happened to your bike?

JakeRS
16-11-05, 09:48 AM
just bought an AGV K-Series in blue

very comfortable. my only quibble is that it has a seat belt style clip, but its aclever one which wont release without pushing in 2 directions

GSXR Carlos
23-11-05, 11:14 AM
its gold racing aproved. so it must be reasonable. mine is well designed and i am going to buy the same again (almost had it 2 years)

You do know that companies just buy these stickers, there only a pound

My Helmet is A KBC V2 i thinks check avatar

GSXR Carlos
23-11-05, 11:18 AM
Got a Caberg V2, soon as bike is repaired I'll tell you how it is :roll:

My mum and dad have both got them, seem to like them for the Sunny Gs, but they rested on my nose and i prefer my blue tinted visor anyway

Frenchloon
30-11-05, 08:42 PM
What a lot of rubbish. They aren't. I use to have an AGV Kinetic. OK, but the ventilation doesn't work and it pushes against your chin at speed. Now I have a Schuberth S1. OK, it's expensive. But my God, it's so comfortable! The ventilation work to demist the visor or cool your head, and there is that fantastic retractable visor. What do you do in SCotalnd when you go to work in the morning with the low sun right in your eyes, and go home in the evening in darkness? Change the visor during the day? With the S1, there is a retractable sun visor. Every helmet should have one, and to be honest I can't understand why all other brands haven't copied that. It's very quiet too. In summary, apart from the price, it's perfect!!!!

rob13
04-12-05, 10:50 PM
I got the Shoei raid II Destiny from the NEC. I dont get it til xmas (pressie) but cant wait to use it - much more comfortable than my old Lazer.

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/shoei/raid2/raid2_destiny.jpg

$i
05-12-05, 08:46 PM
i've had my arai astro J for 2 years now which i got for £330 and before that a quantum f which cost me £150.

I can clearly say i am an arai man and i wont wear anything thing else. Great helmets and bloody comfortable! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.portsmouthtradesales.co.uk/shop/product_images/Arai_Helmets_Astro-J_sm_1.jpg

Quiff Wichard
26-01-06, 09:06 PM
A Bieffe for £31.50 and a Shark RSF2 for £99. The Bieffe feels a bit loose
now but the Shark is still as snug as the day I bought it.

Have u took the polystyrene out then prof????

Last Action Pimp
26-01-06, 10:28 PM
i dropped my caberg in sainsburys and bits fell off, so i now have a Shoie Raid 2, its brill

northwind
26-01-06, 10:32 PM
I left my Arai outside in the rain last night, so today I dragged out my old HJC ZF-8 for the day. My opinion of it has dropped substantially, it feels liek there's no padding in it now. Still got a better visor and vent mechanism than the Arai. Two big vents that work, instead of 5 that don't, and hey're all esy to operate with gloves on (I swear Arai forget the bikers tend to wear gloves)

Quiff Wichard
26-01-06, 11:45 PM
i dropped my caberg in sainsburys and bits fell off, so i now have a Shoie Raid 2, its brill

I dropped one in Asda..

barred fer life now :wink:

Cloggsy
27-01-06, 11:23 AM
I dropped one in Asda..

barred fer life now :wink:

Ba dum chishhhhhh :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

svracers
01-02-06, 01:39 AM
ive got a shoei x spirit byrne replica. £499 for helmet +£85 for black visor with pinlock. Helmet is absolutely amazin. Very light, padding is very comfortable. like the colourscheme and has great ventilation. I dont know if id spend the same money on me next helmet tho!! £600 CHRIST!!!! andrew

GSXR Carlos
01-02-06, 10:09 AM
hey andrew where you from? post it in your profile so we all know,

you a shakey fan then? you checked out his site?

rigor
01-02-06, 09:08 PM
I've bought an X-Spirit too now, after damaging my XR1000 in my off.

<--- The silver one over there

Ohh so comfy, and the vents really work well, thought the XR1000 was good, but imo the x-spirit is worth the extra money (Plus I could use the visors I already had, a bonus :D )

Last Action Pimp
01-02-06, 09:54 PM
i was soo pee'd off when i droped it. but it needed replacing anyway

kazglasgow
01-03-06, 10:49 PM
Arai Quantum "Matsudo".

4yrs old/ 34,000 and recently gubbed beyond repair by subcontractors in the work, who to their credit stumped up £200 to go towards a replacement. At he moment looking nasty with 4in tape holding the visor on!

Bike show up here soon so fancy AstroR Walker :P

Balky001
06-03-06, 10:47 AM
I've bought an X-Spirit too now, after damaging my XR1000 in my off.

<--- The silver one over there

Ohh so comfy, and the vents really work well, thought the XR1000 was good, but imo the x-spirit is worth the extra money (Plus I could use the visors I already had, a bonus :D )

You got the silver Kagayama? I almost bought one this weekend (as I damaged my Arai Quantum F) - I think the silver version is gorgeous but I went for the new Lawson lid instead. I have to say the Shoei X-Spirit is a fabulous lid - I can't fault it and I managed to get £50 off (down to £430) and a half price second visor (£30!). Lovely :wink:

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/shoei%202006/x-spirit/x-spirit%20lawson%20tc-1(s).jpg