PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for people that got the SV restricted. 33bhp

KayDee
02-09-05, 06:47 PM
Hello. I want to take advantage of the 0% finance offer on the sv650s at the moment. However, this means that I'll have to get a restricted one (ie 33bhp) as I'll only have a restricted licence. I plan to do my Accelerated Acess within a month or too, then I'll be able to de-restricted it. How well do they run de-restricted? Well the dealer also hand over the standard un-restricted 'black box' when I'm picking my bike up? Can he refuse to do so? I really can't afford to miss this offer! :D

Carsick
02-09-05, 07:14 PM
Not sure what you mean by how do they run de-restricted. That's their normal state of running. Pretty fantastic, btw.
As for handing over the control box, it's your property. They might try and refuse like they have with some here, but really, they can't refuse. Once you have your unrestricted license they would hand over the original box anyway.

KayDee
02-09-05, 07:33 PM
Not sure what you mean by how do they run de-restricted. That's their normal state of running. Pretty fantastic, btw.
As for handing over the control box, it's your property. They might try and refuse like they have with some here, but really, they can't refuse. Once you have your unrestricted license they would hand over the original box anyway.

Sorry, I ment, how well do they run restricted?

elmerfud
02-09-05, 07:52 PM
Mrs Fuds k5 is restricted and is still a very capable bike.

Pulls like normal upto 5k, then the urge gradually tails off - just where the unrestricted bike gets going!

I have ridden it with Jo as pillion on a few ride-outs and we were not left behind, use the gearbox to keep the revs between 4-6 and you will make decent progress.

Top speeds - will just see 100, but over 70 acceleration isn't eyeball popping :wink:

To unrestrict it, 'tis just a case of swapping the ECU over (plug in black box)

hth

Claire
02-09-05, 07:54 PM
My K1 is restricted and I was told by my mechanic that there isn't really that much difference up to about 70mph (if !'m wrong please put me right) and that basically its there to stop you doing 123 mph. As I have yet to ride an unrestricted I have nothing to compare it with but will say that the bike still has the 'power' to scare me sh*tless from time to time (that's why I love VTwins ) :D If you learned on an ER5 even a restricted SV will feel a lot better.

nuntius
03-09-05, 01:39 AM
The performance with the restriction is good enough that 2 weekends ago I went riding with two gsxr 600, a gsxr 1000, a new fazer 1000, an sv1000s, and an mv 1000, all the very latest models (my dad's colleagues have more money than sense, my dad being on the sv1000s) and not only didn't fall behind, but stayed substantially ahead, along with the fazer 1000.

As people have said, up to about 70 it doesn't make a difference, but you'll notice it eventually because in 6th it stops at about 7000rpm (which is 99mph) and never lets you go above that.

It's all about how you can ride it, you can get a HELL of a lot out of this bike restricted, to the point that they were quizzing me as to whether I'd snuck the other ECU in. More power than you'll really need.