PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Edinburgh....

lynw
14-11-05, 10:08 PM
Ok will be up there from the 24th - 28th but not on the SV. At £32 return by train and the weather as it is even Im not that nuts.... :D

Basically I will have the Friday to kill on my own and was planning on pottering about the place. Any recommendations of things to do/see and places to avoid would be appreciated.

cheers

Lyn

scooby2102
14-11-05, 11:17 PM
Lyne, best advice is DONT GO to Edinburgh :shock:

Come to Glasgow instead :wink:

Beer is much better and the "weegies" know how to party 8)

Ooops, bet this gets a reply or 10 from the Easties

scooby

instigator
14-11-05, 11:21 PM
No! I agree with scoobie :lol:

P.S Sorry, no idea about edinburgh, going there tomorrow though. Oh joy. :cry:

independentphoto
15-11-05, 12:13 AM
Hi Lyn.

I'd agree with the other two. However, if you want a bite to eat and a pint (or whatever), you could look out/ ask for the "Jekyll & Hyde" pub. I've been a couple of times and the foods pretty decent. Inside is full of character..... very different.

Cheers,
Garry :wink:

lynw
15-11-05, 12:13 AM
er no its got to be Edinburgh... as thats where said bloke Im seeing lives... as much as Id opt for Glasgow on that recommendation its not really an option :D

thanks Garry for that. will look out for it :D

pictonabike
15-11-05, 12:14 AM
there must be a reason why the SV Ecosse end of season run came to St Andrews - forget Edinburgh or Glasgow, come here instead

if you don't make it this far try to get to the athletic arms, better known as the grave diggers - as a beer aficianado (remembered from SVrider) you must give the best beer in Scotland a try - just ask for a pint, no need to say what you want a pint of; they'll know

I look forward to your review

if its a nice day try the Scott monument on Princes st - lots of stairs, incredible views when you get there

for evening entertainment try the original ghost tour from the Tron Kirk on the Royal Mile

what kind of things do you want to do - its a very diverse city - give us some idea and there'll be plenty of folk to give you a steer

what brings you up to God's own country anyway? (Check out the wee jock jokes thread in the idle banter section)

lynw
15-11-05, 12:21 AM
what kind of things do you want to do - its a very diverse city - give us some idea and there'll be plenty of folk to give you a steer

what brings you up to God's own country anyway? (Check out the wee jock jokes thread in the idle banter section)

answer in previous post..... dont think I couldve met someone who lives further from me... actually not true, he couldve been in Aberdeen :lol: :lol: :lol: ...though previous long distance relationship was me in London and him in Amsterdam... so pretty used to this kind of thing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

as for stuff to do, Im pretty flexible. happy to sightsee, walk about the place, go to museums, etc more a case of working out what to avoid I think :D

but thanks for the heads up on the beer. thats now on my to do list though I suspect he may also partake too :P :D

so if you see a green pan on travels that weekend with bright fluorescent stickers that looks like a police bike 2 up, wave and Ill wave back :D

pictonabike
15-11-05, 12:23 AM
ask for the "Jekyll & Hyde" pub. careful how you ask for this one - Jekyll & Hyde was based variously on the true tales of Deacon Brodie (his pub is on the royal mile) and Burke & Hare, two grave robbers - their story is said to have inspired a number of gothic tales including Jekyll & Hyde, frankenstein and also provided a contribution to the Jack the Ripper myth - their pub is close to the grassmarket and is full of charm and character - it is also well known stripper bar

pictonabike
15-11-05, 12:27 AM
he couldve been in Aberdeen nothing wrong with folk from aberdeen, in fact in all of God's own country it is the city of choice

(runs away very fast)

BTW KT Tunstall is from St Andrews - avoid her song "other side of the world" it warns about long distance relationships - I'm sure she's wrong and they do work out fine

lynw
15-11-05, 12:38 AM
he couldve been in Aberdeen nothing wrong with folk from aberdeen, in fact in all of God's own country it is the city of choice

(runs away very fast)

wasnt saying there was just that couldnt think of anywhere within mainland UK that could be much further from me :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the heads up on the pubs... :D

northwind
15-11-05, 12:41 AM
If you want to be touristy, do one of the vaults tours, they're great. Ideally one that goes into Mary King's. Not the pub.

Cronos
15-11-05, 09:01 AM
Come to Glasgow instead :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like someone's been hitting the Buckie a bit too hard! :lol: :wink:

Just remember the wise men came from the east! :wink: :P

Cronos
15-11-05, 09:20 AM
Depends what you're looking for.

Sightseeing.

Mary King's Close - The 'underground city' is well worth a look.
New Town / Carlton Hill - It's well worth walking round the New Town for the most unspoiled Georgian architecure in the world.
Royal High School - The old Royal High is on Carlton Hill
Arthur's Seat - If the weather isn't too bad and you're feeling energetic then a walk up Arthur's Seat secures fantastic views. Come back via Duddingston Loch & Village.

Food.

The Apartment - Great simple, but well prepared food.
The Outsider - As above, same owner, but more formal building.
Black Bo's - Good casual veggie dining.
Fishers - There are two , both excellent places for sea food.
Centraal - Huge selection of beers and great mussels.

Drink

The Dome - You can eat too. It's a fantastic Georgian mansion house and well worth popping into for at least a quick drink.
Athletic Arms - As already said, know locally as 'Diggers' as that's where the gravediggers went... athletic arms... gedit? Best pint in East Central Scotland.
Bow Bar - Another 'proper' bar. A traditional Victorian pub that's avoided the laminate and chrome makeovers of many of it's neighbours. It's got an excellent reputation for it's beer.
Cafe Royale - Another unspolied traditional pub in the centre of town. They also have an oyster bar if that's what does it for you.
Tiles - As above traditional bar in the centre of town.
Cambridge Bar - A small friendly bar in the centre of town. They do fantastic home made burgers too.

Entertainment

The Stand - for the best in Scottish (and further afield) stand up comedy. Book tickets and get there early for a seat. www.thestand.co.uk

Cronos
15-11-05, 10:51 AM
...and Burke & Hare, two grave robbers...

Strictly speaking Burke and Hare were not grave robbers - which was a suprisingly common practice in the days when the universities demanded fresh bodies to study. Burke and Hare took the much more direct route of killing their victims themselves before carting their bodies off to Surgeons' Hall to collect their 'reward'!

Italianjob
15-11-05, 12:24 PM
Another Good place to eat fresh fish without spending a fortune is the Mussel Inn on Rose street, right in the city centre and parallel to Princes street:

http://www.mussel-inn.com/edinburgh.html

Highly recommended!

You might also want to bring a pair of walking boots and walk up to the top of Arthurs Seat for the best views in Edinburgh. Only takes 1.5 hours but once you're there you can see from Fife all the way to the Pentland Hills and North Berwick. As Cronos said, you can walk back past Duddingston and stop at the Sheep's Heid pub, the oldest public house in Edinburgh.

Bluewolf
15-11-05, 01:07 PM

Anonymous
15-11-05, 06:13 PM
£32 on the train - thats cheap.

Head to princes street for a wee bit shopping then go to street behind princes street called rose street for a spot of people watching.

saying that not done that for about 15 years so dont know what its like now.

have a great weekend with your bloke though :lol:

pictonabike
15-11-05, 06:27 PM
Athletic Arms - As already said, know locally as 'Diggers' .... Best pint in East Central Scotland.
Best pint in the whole of Scotland

and better by far than anything our immediate neighbours have to offer

However, I do stand corrected by Cronos on misnaming Burke and Hare - indeed I do recall now that you mention it that there is a form of stranglehold named after one of the pair, though I cannae mind offhand which one it was that did the deed

lynw
15-11-05, 07:41 PM
£32 on the train - thats cheap.

Head to princes street for a wee bit shopping then go to street behind princes street called rose street for a spot of people watching.

saying that not done that for about 15 years so dont know what its like now.

have a great weekend with your bloke though :lol:

GNER offers... if you book in advance you can get the saver singles... got the london - edinburgh for 12.50 and return journey was 19.50.

also worth investigating is easyjet. was looking at flights for £14 - £20 too. for winter think I will be doing this rather than biking it... cost me way more than that on fuel :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the replies everyone. :D looking forward to trying that beer now :D

Halonic
16-11-05, 01:45 PM
oi pictonabike

you town or gown?

pictonabike
16-11-05, 05:54 PM
I'm a real person

any reason for asking, Helonic?

Halonic
17-11-05, 12:41 PM
I'm a real person

any reason for asking, Helonic?

oh no reason, I just lived in st. and for a few years

pictonabike
17-11-05, 05:17 PM
oh no reason, I just lived in st. and for a few yearsYou a student?

where did you live? where did you frequent? when were you here?

Halonic
17-11-05, 09:05 PM
oh no reason, I just lived in st. and for a few yearsYou a student?

where did you live? where did you frequent? when were you here?

I was for a bit, got there in 95, left 99, came back summer 2000, left again 2001 and keep turning up random times of the year.

er lived? er...lamond drive, couple of halls, St. Mary Street, opposite the KFB, Hope street, kind around really, used to part time at Evil Brown so flat hopped. Friends with the guy that now runs the Central and his ilk (old metallers that never seem to be free of st. and)

You really couldnt miss me when I was there, excessive long brown / ginger hair, full length leather trench coat, used to work in pots n pans for a bit in 2000/01

pictonabike
17-11-05, 11:06 PM
You really couldnt miss me when I was there, excessive long brown / ginger hair, full length leather trench coat, used to work in pots n pans for a bit in 2000/01its a small town and i do remember you - we lived quite close at one time - you'll find me in the photos of the October ice cream run and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't recognise me as well

Halonic
18-11-05, 04:00 PM
its a small town and i do remember you - we lived quite close at one time - you'll find me in the photos of the October ice cream run and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't recognise me as well

Oh my memory is so bad I cant even remember people I've seen naked, but the pics of outside the New Inn is weird, spent too much time in there.. :twisted:

pictonabike
18-11-05, 06:51 PM
Oh my memory is so bad I cant even remember people I've seen naked, but the pics of outside the New Inn is weird, spent too much time in there.. :twisted:Yes, I know :lol:

pictonabike
22-11-05, 10:35 PM
remember to wrap up warm, Lyn

blizzards and a 20cm snowfall are forcast for the end of the week

welcome to Scotland

have fun, whatever comes