PDA

View Full Version : run over a weekend, route suggestions...

weegaz22
30-11-05, 10:32 PM
was thinking about doing a run over a weekend next year, head out the saturday get a good amount of mileage in, find somewhere suitible to setup camp, then pack up and head out the next day back down the road

so what routes would people suggest?

i was thinking of heading north, heard roads near/past kyle of localsh are nice and quiet

Scooby Drew
30-11-05, 10:42 PM
If you make it that far, teh road past Loch Ness is awesome...

carelesschucca
30-11-05, 10:49 PM
sounds good... Plenty of advance planning and I'll get to come out to play...

haggis
01-12-05, 12:05 AM
If you want any suggestions for routes/places to stay/food & drink pit-stops etc. then ask away! I've covered most of it north of Tyndrum at some point. :lol:

I'll be glad to organise things at this end if you're looking at the west coast.

Come on up, you're guaranteed a hoot. Seems far off but March/April is my tip for a balance between weather, tourists and midges.

Dirty Baz
01-12-05, 03:24 PM
There's a great run described in an issue of Bike a couple of issues ago.

Up to Ballaculish via Inverary and Oban as per the Irish-Ecosse run which would take till lunch. Then on to Fort William and west up to Inverness (or even on to Ullapool?) for the night.

Next day would be South-east to Inverness in the morning and then south down the side of Loch Ness, joining the road through Glen Coe and home via Tyndrum etc.

Somit like that anyway......

I'll look out the article for exact directions etc.

Anonymous
01-12-05, 04:33 PM
sounds good. if i have a bit of notice might be able to get shot of kids and tag along. :lol:

Blue Flame
01-12-05, 04:51 PM
Back in April there was a wee trip.

Pic here Click Here (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=21509)

big_red
02-12-05, 08:37 PM
Sound's good to me too :) and if I am home at the time, well, you can't get too many miles in, can you :D

instigator
02-12-05, 10:28 PM
If you make it that far, teh road past Loch Ness is awesome...

It sure is...we done it at about 9am in the morning I think and it was reasonably quiet so were were all going along at a fair old lick. Before 10am is adviseable if you really want to enjoy it I'm told.

pictonabike
03-12-05, 12:07 PM
I can recommend the glen feshie hostel as a good central place to stay

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/index.asp?ID=40

its basic but comfortable and the food is superb - it can sleep 14 and if we book far enough in advance we could fill the whole place I'm sure - Mrs Pict stays there with her mountain buddies once or twice a year for a few days walking

its location is fairly handy for people coming from all parts to head up after work on a Friday (only a couple of hours or so from just about everywhere), a good run on Saturday (eg Inverness -> loch ness -> fort william -> newtonmore -> glenfeshie), highlights of Aviemore on Saturday evening or bring a drink in, then a lazy run on Sunday or head home by whatever different routes

Also if it gets wet (in Scotland? surely not!) they are set up for drying ski and climbing gear so bikewear should do alright as well)

if this sounds like a good idea someone will need to make the decision and find a weekend when Jean has the hostel free

Blue Flame
03-12-05, 12:18 PM
I am certainly up for this trip :D

However given the fact that on the last trip my snoring was described as "Blueflame's race can rendition" I think that I will have to look for a B&B nearby any Hostel accomodation chosen. :oops:

Blue Flame
03-12-05, 12:21 PM
Just looked at the website for the hostel quoted. "Nearest Pub 9km". A rethink is required methinks :?:

carelesschucca
03-12-05, 07:30 PM
Just looked at the website for the hostel quoted. "Nearest Pub 9km". A rethink is required methinks :?:

we could have a designated rider to ferry everyone...

pictonabike
03-12-05, 08:08 PM
they do have both Taxi's and carry outs close by - its a nice place for a weekend but I really don't mind some place else

with that in mind there are plenty of other options in a similar location (Aviemore is about 2 hours or so from anywhere in Scotland) but slightly closer to civilisation eg the chalets at Craigellachie - slighly more expensive but then cheaper on taxi fares

Quedos
08-12-05, 08:05 PM
Can I come if I bring Garry?

Not around the 23rd of march though - i'm in court!

setanta
25-12-05, 05:17 AM
Why not go all the way up to John O Groats, up one side of the country and down the other, really great roads for riding above Inverness, plenty of twisties. Should be able to arrange a campsite up here for u, I do have 75 acres for u to park :wink: Pub and hotel short walk, also could arrange cheap B&B for softies :lol: :lol:
I can also arrange a decent main meal for everyone at a really cheap price or if you like Indian I can fix something there as well. Possibly manage a lockin for the real hard core :wink: :twisted:

pod
27-12-05, 02:20 PM
Ho SV ecosse.
Geetings, We lastmet when I pranged me Raptor at Knockhill, oh the shame.
Any way since I stay on the west coast near Oban i thought I would chip in with some runs that are great in this area.

First , do any thing to avoid Fort William, its a total bottle neck for 40 miles either side, heres one of my strategies.
Just north of ballahulish take the ferry at Corran (£1.50 for a bike ) on the other side head through Morvern towards Mallaig stopping at Glen Uig bar for a plate of soup and some craic. Head on to Mallaig, ferry over to Skye (12£) , blast across to the wee ferry that takes you over to Glen Elg, and overnight stop camping near the wonderfull Glen Elg hostelry, it also has a bunk room. Next day take the road back towards Invermoriston and head back either North to Inverness or South to Fort Augustus, then take roads heading home wherever that may be.
Costs a bit extra for the ferries, but you will be on nearly empty roads most of the time, and the ferries make useful pitstops ( the Mallaig to Skye run has showers on it).

The ferry to Skye trip is also a great way of getting up to Kyle of LochAlsh and points north of there , the roads around Assynt are incredible, great surfaces , good viz and very quiet.

Cheers
Pod

Anonymous
27-12-05, 04:41 PM
sounds like fun. hiya again pod hope the bike is all working again. you coming out to play with us again :lol:

pod
27-12-05, 07:40 PM
Hi Nutty.
The bike was OKish, had to get a new LHS footrest hanger, but got home OK on a joeyed up gear change pedal. pride has almost recovered!
I work shift s, 3 weekends out of 5 but i will try to hook up with you guys sometime, Im not good at riding in company though.
If you lot are up near Oban any time give me shout .
Cheers
Pod

x5uds
27-12-05, 10:59 PM
You can count me in. I will meet you where ever and take you to places of good food and beer....