PDA

View Full Version : Who wants my powdercoated forks?

northwind
01-12-05, 12:01 AM
I found them :) I'd rolled them in carpet for safekeeping, and forgotten :oops:

So, for sale, one set of carbed model forks. The lowers were coated in gloss black by BBS in Edinburgh, and I serviced them at that time- 15W oil, and new seals and bushings, about 3000 miles ago. The cool aftermarket bits are gone though so it's standard Suzuki springs and non-adjustable preload adjusters. I think I have a set of dust seals I can throw in, subject to finding them...

The condition's excellent- the preload caps are slightly bruised, as always happens with them, they're made of toffee. There's very minor chipping of the powdercot around the "feet" of the forks, but it's only noticable when they're out of the bike, or you're lying on your back looking up at them. They're presumed straight- I never had any problems with them, they've never been in a head-on, and rotating them in the yokes didn't give any visible "wobble". No pits in the stanchions, or corrosion, at all. They were only removed when I upgraded to the USD front end.

They're originally from an '00 S model, and were removed after roughly 22000 miles. The fork lowers are from a K1- one less bolt, otherwise identical. The one bolt is a Chewy's Parts stainless one, but I'm sure I can find a standard one if you really want.

Also, if you want upgraded springs, adjustable preload caps or different oil, I'll fit either for you for the cost of parts- for all the time it'll take :)

Serious offers only please, totally standard forks just went for £175 on Ebay... I'll consider exchange if yours are straight and in good nick. They'll go on Ebay in a bit but I thought I'd give you guys first dibs.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/northwind-track.jpg
(photo credit SuperVast650)

Saracen
01-12-05, 09:41 AM
If you end up taking them apart, I'll have the outers (the powed coated bit). Can't be bothered with watching mine for the slightest sign of corroding. How much was it to get them coated?

northwind
01-12-05, 07:02 PM
£40 for both legs... Plus the cost of the rebuild of course- new seals and bushing, crush washers, and oil. I won't be breaking these though, there's no point. the whole's worth more than the bits.

I do have a set of fork lowers in teh garage in reasonable nick though- forgot about those. Could be a useful spare for someone if they want to get them coated- do these ones then swap over, instead of having to strip your own and wait days for the coaters to come back. That's how I did mine.