PDA

View Full Version : Which track for the trackday?

SPeeeeDY
11-12-05, 10:23 PM
Which track would you preffer to do the SV track day on? Hopefully some time between start June and end August

**Please only vote if you would actually take part in the trackday**

Remember that the smaller tracks are cheaper then the larger ones

eg Mallory will be under £100 and donnington will be around £150

SpeeeeDY

For got t mention. People restricted to 33bhp cannot ride at the big ciruits

Last Action Pimp
11-12-05, 10:25 PM
chertsey! he he,

its about £5k an hour or sumit stupid. i think its also the top gear track but not 100%

hall13uk
11-12-05, 10:31 PM
got to be brands :D , you will find no other track i know of more of a challenge

tomjones2
11-12-05, 10:48 PM
difficult one to answer they all have diffrent metrits, such as snetterton got to many staright but sometimes you can have a whole day for little money

northwind
12-12-05, 12:55 AM
Brands is just about the worst in the country for most of use to get to though. I think the location'd put a lot of people off.

Oulton, Cadwell, Mallory, and Donington, and Rockingham and Croft I suppose, are relatively central... So I suppse I'd vote for whichever of those has the best twisty bits, run-offs and facilities. Plus, there's no point in going for a really demanding track snce we've got to make it accessible to everyone. And I'm not just saying that because I'm rubbish.

$i
12-12-05, 03:15 AM
Donington, cadwell or brands 4 me! :twisted:

fizzwheel
12-12-05, 08:50 AM
Made sticky as per request

Oh and donnington for me 8) I dont mind travelling I'll just ride or van it up the day before and they stay over the night before and after and then come back the next day

Halonic
12-12-05, 10:04 AM
would prefer Knockhill but Lydden or Brands will suffice

tricky
12-12-05, 11:20 AM
Donnington or Mallory for me.

There will be a super slow wobbling numpty group won't there ?

Scooby Drew
12-12-05, 11:27 AM
Knockhill for me... Anyone who doesn't bin it could take advantage of some of the fantastic roads up here. We could even point out all the places Nothwind has crashed (on and off the track :lol: )

jonboy
12-12-05, 12:09 PM
Lydden or Cadwell.

Cronos
12-12-05, 12:13 PM
We could even point out all the places Nothwind has crashed (on and off the track :lol: )

It might be quicker if we just pointed out the spots he's not crashed at! :P

Balky001
12-12-05, 12:38 PM
I voted for Brands Hatch, Indy circuit isn't generally too expensive but I be up for anything.

There can be a big difference in price (and availability of circuit) if you have to do a weekend as opposed to a weekday. This will eat in to people's annual leave but a mid-week or Friday trackday might be an idea. I think the calenders with confirmed track days start coming out end of Jan/February.

Saint Matt
12-12-05, 12:47 PM
Donnington.

TheMickster
12-12-05, 12:48 PM
I'd be up for Donnington, Oulton or Cadwell, have to start saving to get some decent leathers tho.

Halonic
12-12-05, 02:19 PM
I'd be up for Donnington, Oulton or Cadwell, have to start saving to get some decent leathers tho.

as if by magic: MCN article (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.a rticle&resourceId=3844158&articleCategory=NEWS_PRODUCT-NEWS)

TheMickster
12-12-05, 04:24 PM
only problem is i hope to be a bit thinner by next summer as I've started going to the gym :shock: . so i better wait.

RWR
12-12-05, 05:55 PM
How about Brands GP or Silverstone GP circuits they are both absolutely outstanding circuits Brands Indy is not much more than a roundabout and gets very boring very quickly.
Cadwell and Oulton park are also excellent circuits.

Flamin_Squirrel
12-12-05, 06:41 PM
Brands Indy is not much more than a roundabout and gets very boring very quickly.

Says you!

Jdubya
12-12-05, 07:06 PM
I voted Brands(Just because it is 10min from home) but snetterton, rockingham, castle coombe or silverstone would be just as nice as this would be my first trackday :)

RWR
12-12-05, 07:42 PM
Brands Indy is not much more than a roundabout and gets very boring very quickly.

Says you!
:lol: 8) :lol:

Balky001
16-12-05, 03:45 PM

Says you!
:lol: 8) :lol:

You wouldn't like Lydden then

RWR
16-12-05, 08:24 PM
Lydden is a night mare circuit.
one set of tyres totaly shagged in a day on that cicuit
And the run off area leaves a lot to be desired but does help to fuel the adrenalin rush.

They are good from a spectator point of view as they get a good view at the indy and lydden

But i prefer circuits like Cadwell, Donnington and Oulton Park
Or Brands GP and Silverstone GP.
Pembrey is a lot of fun to.

Fizzy Fish
17-12-05, 03:36 PM
From what I've heard, Mallory is a fairly good circuit, but if I'm going to travel a fair way then I'd personally rather go for Donnington or Silverstone. Cadwell and Brands are both superb too, but not quite so central for people to get to.

Also just a thought - weekday trackdays are cheaper, but for contractors they work out more expensive as you lose a day's wages. Another cost you don't always factor in is staying over the night before so that you can make the 8am sign on in the morning - some places let you camp at the track the night before (e.g. Cadwell), so might be worth asking about this?

Jelster
17-12-05, 04:27 PM
For an SV the GP circuits are too long. If you want a circuit that you can learn quickly which offers some challenges, try Mallory. It's small enough to suit the SV (BSB times are only about 1sec up on BSS) but it also has some great little bends.

It's in the midlands so most people can make it, and it's not that expensive either.

Just my opinion....

RWR
17-12-05, 04:42 PM
Mallory used to be a great cicuit till they put in Edwiners (highside city)
It's felled many a rider and my self.
A very good corner for spectators tho.

chutz
18-12-05, 01:26 PM
a track day is on my "to do" list for next year and I've been going to Brands since I was 6 months old so it would be only too fitting to go there for my 1st one. Indy circuit is great for a bike like the sv and Paddock Hill bend will scare the be Jesus out of me at first!!!

Now i have to fit that gixxer shock, fork oil and braided hose before the nice weather comes :wink: ....Billy!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Itching 2 go
18-12-05, 05:08 PM
I voted rockingham, if you all would let me ride on my thundercat?!? somewhere in the midlands I would have thought would be most fair, or perhaps my geography is crap but basically somewhere everyone can get to. no point doing brands if scotish forum members cant get there.

creamerybutter
18-12-05, 06:44 PM
I would say donnington but I can't guarentee I can make it (I really want to but it may be out of my control) but tbh I would be happy and most tracks.

RWR
18-12-05, 07:42 PM
Donnington is a fantastic circuit but they are very strict on noise

setanta
22-12-05, 01:53 AM
What about Knockhill

RWR
22-12-05, 06:02 AM
What about Knockhill

Yeh What :?: :?: :lol:

setanta
22-12-05, 08:27 AM
What about Knockhill

Yeh What :?: :?: :lol:

I knew it I knew it; when I clicked "submit" the warning bells triggered ....but it was to late. Theres always one maybe two maybe .................och I give up :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

northwind
22-12-05, 03:57 PM
I reckon Knockhill would be absolutely perfect... It's a great track, good for all grades of riders, easy to learn but hard to master. It's quite varied, and twisty enough that the SV doesn't get left for dead in the right hands. Good run-offs, and quite forgiving overall... Only really let down by the vey poor facilities (some tracks have pit lanes, tyre fitters, technical support, instructors, camera bikes... Knockhill has a radio and a kettle)

But then again, it's about as convenient as Laguna Seca for most of the .org :) Sure we'll be making an Ecosse appearance there at least once this year though, and naturally all are welcome- Wigan's ridden up twice for Knockhill trackdays, for example. OK, so once he got soaked, turned up late, and never went on the track, and the other time he, er, got soaked, turned up late, and got in about 5 laps... But it might have worked out :roll:

bobbydazzler
25-12-05, 10:44 PM
donnington are building a nice new paddock area :D

wheelnut
26-12-05, 02:32 AM
Having done Donington International, Silverstone Stowe and Rockingham, I would always vote for Rockingham on an SV, for the same reasons as Jelster

Jdubya
01-01-06, 06:40 PM
Okay, just had a look and Focused events have listed all of there dates for 2006 on the website. I think we need to make some decisions as to who we are going to book with and which track we will be looking at.

The poll as it stands at the moment has Brands at the top, then Donington.

So what is it going to be?

Itching 2 go
01-01-06, 07:18 PM
Okay, just had a look and Focused events have listed all of there dates for 2006 on the website. I think we need to make some decisions as to who we are going to book with and which track we will be looking at.

The poll as it stands at the moment has Brands at the top, then Donington.

So what is it going to be?I suggest a new poll and fot this thread to be locked with a link to the new poll

brands?
donnington?

that should settle it, then we should look at who is organising for the track that gets decided upon and choose a date.

Itching 2 go
01-01-06, 07:25 PM
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=456757#456757 :wink:

wheelnut
01-01-06, 10:37 PM
Well in that case it would have to be Donington as it is 5 minutes from home :D

The national circuit of course

Itching 2 go
01-01-06, 10:52 PM

The national circuit of coursedude new poll
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=456757#456757 :wink:

Fizzy Fish
02-01-06, 11:44 AM

The national circuit of course

Hey, looks like we're all staying over at Malc's! :wink: :lol:

Mike1234
02-01-06, 11:49 AM
For got to mention. People restricted to 33bhp cannot ride at the big ciruits

Why?

Itching 2 go
02-01-06, 11:51 AM
For got to mention. People restricted to 33bhp cannot ride at the big ciruits

Why?well thats what i thought too when I read it but who knows. Maybe he just wanted to single them out! I was under the impression you can ride what you like solong as you have a liscence to ride it.

Peter Henry
02-01-06, 12:15 PM
Would there be any point in me suggesting Jerez? :?

Thought not..I'll be on my way then! :oops:

andyaikido
02-01-06, 05:34 PM
Cadwell. Me and that track have some unfinished business (my right footpeg is probably still in the grass around Chris Curve).

northwind
02-01-06, 11:59 PM
Cadwell. Me and that track have some unfinished business (my right footpeg is probably still in the grass around Chris Curve).

That's the worst recommendation for a track I've ever heard ;)

northwind
03-01-06, 12:00 AM

That's the worst recommendation for a track I've ever heard ;)

huge
04-01-06, 03:22 PM
Brands

Being selfish it is close and I could make it.

Jdubya
11-01-06, 09:02 PM
Looks like Brands or Donnington then...

kjames
14-01-06, 11:51 AM
i quite fancy brands... always wanted to go on it. but dont know some of the others..

brands any good for a first timer?

k

Balky001
14-01-06, 04:23 PM
i quite fancy brands... always wanted to go on it. but dont know some of the others..

k

It's pretty good for first timers, not too quick, short and fairly easy to learn and fairly good run off. Snetterton is a great track for first timers too

Flamin_Squirrel
17-01-06, 12:02 PM

k

It's pretty good for first timers, not too quick, short and fairly easy to learn and fairly good run off. Snetterton is a great track for first timers too

I must have gone to the other Brands :shock:

It might be short, but it isn't easy to learn, there isn't a single easy corner, and one of them is down right scarey!

Still good fun though 8)

sharriso74
17-01-06, 12:29 PM
Can confirm that Brands has a good run off. Used it last year you'd be amazed how far an SV can dig itself into the gravel...

Itching 2 go
17-01-06, 01:00 PM
so is someone gonna approach a trackday organiser and get this going then?

svsk2
18-01-06, 11:41 AM
Itchy, you have contacts in the business, don't ya?

Balky001
18-01-06, 12:28 PM
I must have gone to the other Brands :shock:

It might be short, but it isn't easy to learn, there isn't a single easy corner, and one of them is down right scarey!

Still good fun though 8)

The only dodgy corner is Graham Hill Bend, although Clearways/Clarke Curve does catch quite a few out, and Paddock Hill Bend is an experience all on its own. Oh, and coming out of Druids can be highside heaven. OK, I see your point! But you could say the same for most tracks.

I found Brands easier to learn than somewhere like Donington due to its size and only having 6 corners. It's loads more technical than Snetterton which although faster is an easier track to get to grips with - but there didn't seem much support for it on the vote.

Itching 2 go
18-01-06, 01:18 PM
Itchy, you have contacts in the business, don't ya?maybe, but so does mike1234 ans svracer and others too

besides i dont have an sv, so do i qualify for orgamising it?

Balky001
18-01-06, 05:28 PM
I just looked back through the thread on it appears that what is required is Brands at the weekend in between June and September - that's going to be tough.

The only weekend date on UKTrackdays.co.uk for Brands is on 25th June but that's on the GP circuit and supposed to be with Focused Events - but it's not on FE's website so might no be available.

I'd be up for a March trackday but I know some people might think its too cold and likely to be wet. Week day summer fixture looks most likely then. Personally I'd have thought it was easier to agree on a track day and book it yourself/in small groups directly. I'd go for Monday 19th June - £149 direct with Focused Events (£159 through UKTrackdays) - but am flexible on the general consensus

sharriso74
18-01-06, 06:44 PM
Just out of interest is this just for SV's or former SV riders? (I may be tempted to use the SV as the bits are cheaper if I bin it)

Itching 2 go
18-01-06, 07:15 PM
so everyone I think

bobbydazzler
01-02-06, 01:18 AM
people up norf though probably wont want to go to brands and back.. trackdays are exhausting.

Balky001
01-02-06, 12:24 PM
people up norf though probably wont want to go to brands and back.. trackdays are exhausting.

That's probably true, although we usually hire a LWB transit and get 3 bikes in it - doesn't cost much between 3 and much easier to drive up and bring some creature comforts with you to the pits, like chairs! But it's still along day if you are travelling a couple of hundred miles

Whitty
03-02-06, 11:20 PM
EYUP!NEW MEMBER HERE.LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING SV ON TRACK!LIKE LOOK OF DONINGTON AND ITS RIDEABLE FROM HALIFAX.EVEN NEWER TO THIS INTERNET BLACK MAGIC!DUNNO IF OR WHERE THIS MESSAGE WILL GO.WOULD BE GLAD OF A RESPONSE.CHEERS.

RWR
04-02-06, 08:11 AM
EYUP!NEW MEMBER HERE.LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING SV ON TRACK!LIKE LOOK OF DONINGTON AND ITS RIDEABLE FROM HALIFAX.EVEN NEWER TO THIS INTERNET BLACK MAGIC!DUNNO IF OR WHERE THIS MESSAGE WILL GO.WOULD BE GLAD OF A RESPONSE.CHEERS.

No need to shout :lol: turn off your caps lock

Itching 2 go
04-02-06, 08:00 PM
so is anyone gonna sort this mass out and arrange something?

Balky001
04-02-06, 08:33 PM
so is anyone gonna sort this mass out and arrange something?

Itchy, as I mentioned before

I just looked back through the thread on it appears that what is required is Brands at the weekend in between June and September - that's going to be tough.

The only weekend date on UKTrackdays.co.uk for Brands is on 25th June but that's on the GP circuit and supposed to be with Focused Events - but it's not on FE's website so might no be available.

I'd be up for a March trackday but I know some people might think its too cold and likely to be wet. Week day summer fixture looks most likely then. Personally I'd have thought it was easier to agree on a track day and book it yourself/in small groups directly. I'd go for Monday 19th June - £149 direct with Focused Events (£159 through UKTrackdays) - but am flexible on the general consensus

How's 19th June grab you? I've not seen any feedback or proposals for other dates. I'll probably just book a few dates like last year and let people know before hand - its difficult to guage how many people who were originally interested will actually go.

Itching 2 go
04-02-06, 09:06 PM
sounds good to me, i need to check some things but should know by next week if i can afford it

Joe110
01-05-06, 06:50 PM
Pembrey.

Ey Uup
01-06-06, 08:14 PM
Was there a concensus about the track day?

I am feeling slight track day frustration as I managed to pull my finger out and get one sorted, but only managed two out of the seven sessions as my mate highsided off his SV and then spent the rest of the day in A&E with him (the bike hit him on the head, so he thought that he was Napoleon...)

Want to have another go - and soon!

Ey.

Jester666
18-07-06, 04:43 PM
A mate of mine who used to race 400s swears by Aintree or Darley Moor.

Stu
18-07-06, 04:55 PM
And the winner with 4% of the vote is ...http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=39663

$i
18-07-06, 10:39 PM
A mate of mine who used to race 400s swears by Aintree or Darley Moor.

:thumbsup: 8)

hovis
23-11-06, 09:40 PM
which is the closest to cardiff?

Stu
23-11-06, 11:15 PM
Does anyone have a map of the UK with all the tracks marked on it?

this covers most of them:

http://uktrackdays.co.uk/track/

SV1000s
24-11-06, 11:19 AM
If you are looking for something fun and cheap then try Llandow, the SV1000 guys have done it twice, it's good if you want to camp and have a BBQ the night before too.

Not the best track in the world but fun and ideal for beginners, I think we paid £50 each and there was 40 of us.

Viney
24-11-06, 01:11 PM
M25 or South cirular during peak rush hour

rob13
05-12-06, 07:40 PM
Has anyone been to Croft? Is it better than Cadwell Park?

Tim in Belgium
10-01-07, 09:23 PM
Been to Cadwell and it was awesome, went to Croft when I bought my dad a morning's trackday for him and his Lotus (how's that for a good son?). Having not ridden round croft I'd say Cadwell is more inspiring due to the 3D nature of the track and the mighty mountain where anyone can pull a power wheelie, although I'll no doubt head out to Croft for a session or two on the bike thias season as it's so near.

I think you'd enjoy either at the end of the day, so why not try both!

When I head down to Cadwell I'll give you a heads up as may take the bike on the trailer again, means you can give it more beans!

rob13
11-01-07, 06:52 PM
When I head down to Cadwell I'll give you a heads up as may take the bike on the trailer again, means you can give it more beans!

Is that because if you crash it you dont have to worry about getting home?

Tim in Belgium
11-01-07, 10:42 PM
Yep, that's it, also usually manage to persuade someone else to come and drive, provide coffee etc, makes it a relaxing day and means you don't have to drive home full of adrenalin.

That's not to say I'm against driving to a track day, I've done 500km round trips on the bike inc the euro tunnel in a day to get out on track!

Paws
12-01-07, 10:44 PM
Id love to do a trackday on me sv.. :D
So would my other half...would a zx9 be welcome??

Tim in Belgium
13-01-07, 12:05 AM
Most trackday's will take anyone's money!!

But agree we shouldtry and all head to the same one at some stage....

Spider
15-01-07, 09:26 AM
i`m there wherever it is n i`ve got a few friends, non sv`ers that will probaly joi us if that`s ok :D

Daimo
15-01-07, 01:14 PM
I'd REALLY like to do a trackday this year as well just to gain some extra skills.

I'd vote Brands Hatch as its only 10 minutes down the road from me?

Maybe those who would like to make a date and want to go to Brands could make themselves known and i'll look at some dates for say March/April or such this year? Gives people time to arrange stuff etc??

Would be nice to make my first meet (guess i should try make one after 2 years :lol: ) a track day, let you boys show me how its done :lol:

GooseSVSK2
30-01-07, 12:38 PM
Brands HatchGP is a lot of fun oh yeah! :D :D :D

weazelz
04-02-07, 11:32 PM
I'd REALLY like to do a trackday this year as well just to gain some extra skills.

I'd vote Brands Hatch as its only 10 minutes down the road from me?

Maybe those who would like to make a date and want to go to Brands could make themselves known and i'll look at some dates for say March/April or such this year? Gives people time to arrange stuff etc??

Would be nice to make my first meet (guess i should try make one after 2 years :lol: ) a track day, let you boys show me how its done :lol:

a few people from here are doing this:

brands on march 3rd (http://www.focusedevents.com/event_details.asp?eid=648)

thread here (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=50324&highlight=)

hovis
05-06-07, 12:02 PM
is this going ahead?

Dan
05-06-07, 12:11 PM
is this going ahead?

It probably did, in 2005 when this thread was started, or in March 2007 when it was finished :p

DanAbnormal
07-06-07, 09:35 PM
It's not officially a track but the Nurburgring is the only place I want to be. It was my first trackday and now I want to live there. Not done any other trackday so maybe my experience is a bit limited but I think other tracks will seem safe, short and flat in comparison. Ho hum.

RhythmJunkie
21-07-07, 04:49 PM
I used to like Brands but the master controller wouldn't let it be used for F1 so I sort of went off it a bit, still like the circuit though especially the full boy! Donington is my regular circuit cos its only 30miles down the road but its not been changed in 20 years. All they do is resurface it but the potential for re-modelling is huge with a landscape such as that.
So my vote goes for an also ran. A lovely little circuit in the heart of beautiful scenery and although a simple circuit it has character in the same way Cadwell Park does, guessed yet? Knockhill! I really like this circuit and the racers can't say there's no overtaking opportunities either!:rolleyes:

fizzwheel
21-07-07, 05:01 PM
threads dead

Locked...