PDA

View Full Version : Arai visor mechanism

tomjones2
30-12-05, 12:37 AM
This may have been asked before but does anyone else find the arai visor mechanism a bit rubbish, the levers fell out and then the side pod broke.

Apart from that my astro j is very comfortable and i would still buy it again if i had the option :)

Cloggsy
30-12-05, 11:30 AM
Never had an Arai, so I couldn't possibly comment :!:

Scoobs
30-12-05, 01:03 PM
I had my Arai for about 2 years and covered probably 30,000 miles in it. I took the visor off virually every day for a clean because of the miles I did it got minging. Didn't have one problem with it. I thought it was very quick and easy to change visors. All in (I thought) a good system.

mudge32
30-12-05, 01:18 PM
I had a really bad time with mine until this (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=18698&highlight=quick+release+backside) post :wink: Now I love it, still not as easy as the Shark's though :lol:

Viney
30-12-05, 02:02 PM
It always feels like you are gonna break something. After Shoei's system, then it could be considered as crap. Probably works ok, but i dunnolike it

Jelster
30-12-05, 02:38 PM
Keep it all "sqaure" and it works like a dream. You just have to get used to it.

Personally I like it (but maybe that's because Viney doesn't :lol: )

SVeeedy Gonzales
30-12-05, 08:44 PM
Never liked it - way too fiddly on my Quantum. My HJC CS12 was less than a quarter of the price and has a better visor change mechanism. The actual opening and closing was alright though.

Valman
31-12-05, 12:45 AM
Can remove a visor and fit one on in about 10 seconds, it really is that easy. I did have problems initially getting the visor back on but after a good demonstration by the place I bought my lid from I've not had problems. I would also make sure there is sufficient lubricant in the pods as sometimes they can get "dry" and it makes it harder to get the visor in again, use the silicon lubricant included if needed.

mudge32
31-12-05, 01:22 PM
As pointed out by Sterling on my post

http://www.araiamericas.com/fullface_Small.wmv

northwind
13-01-06, 12:58 PM
I pretty much hate everything about the Arai visors... The wee daft vents that get into my field of vision, the useless wee catch thing on the left side that locks your lid a hair open but that's awkward to work with gloves on so you can't open it properly when you need to... The way they flop around when half up... To be honest, with all that stuff that I hate more, the visor mechanism's pretty trivial.

Everything else about my Condor's great... It vents well, it's light, it's incredibly comfy, and it fitted as well on the first day as it does today. But I do hate the visor. My £60 HJC had a better one.

Jelster
13-01-06, 01:18 PM
I pretty much hate everything about the Arai visors... The wee daft vents that get into my field of vision, the useless wee catch thing on the left side that locks your lid a hair open but that's awkward to work with gloves on so you can't open it properly when you need to... The way they flop around when half up... To be honest, with all that stuff that I hate more, the visor mechanism's pretty trivial.

Everything else about my Condor's great... It vents well, it's light, it's incredibly comfy, and it fitted as well on the first day as it does today. But I do hate the visor. My £60 HJC had a better one.

Northy, I don't know what you're talking about mate. I have 2 Arai's (Astro R & SV) and they are great. The visor stay's open wherever I put it, the venting system works well (although it is difficult with gloves on). The mechanism is fine too. It's like anything, you just have to get used to it...

(I went from years of having Nokia phones to a Sony Ericcson, it took me a while to get used to the menus etc, but now I wouldn't go back... )

jim@55
13-01-06, 01:44 PM
im with northy on the visor comment,mine doesnt stay open -i.e theres no 'click/detent any where in the visors r.o.m,and when im going fast if its not locked down-it blows open !!!pain in the **** really ,but it looks cool/feels really comfy.(maybe its not 'seated' prop?)ps -quantum with the right visor :wink:

northwind
13-01-06, 09:26 PM
Northy, I don't know what you're talking about mate. I have 2 Arai's (Astro R & SV) and they are great. The visor stay's open wherever I put it, the venting system works well (although it is difficult with gloves on). The mechanism is fine too. It's like anything, you just have to get used to it....

I've had it for a year and half and about 15,000 miles :) I'm not getting used to it yet. The brow vents are just a gimmick IMO, they don't work any better than a top vent would (and they're immediately ineffective with the visor open of course) but when i'm tucked in they intrude a bit into my vision. if I could find a visor without I'd buy it tomorrow.

Both of the visors I have- official Arai- have a couple of positions where they'll sit, but a visor with a wee ratchet ongoes where you want and stays there. And the wee lock thing, I can't get over what a stupid thing that is to put on a bike helmet.

I don't have a problem with the fitting mechanism... It does feel shonky but it works. And by no means does all this spoil the lid, it's still great.