PDA

View Full Version : True Newb

furrybean
04-01-06, 07:06 PM
Hey,

Just joined and wanted some advise really. I've got my DAS starting in a couple of days and was thinking of getting a bit of kit instead of using the manky jacket and the nit ridden helmet the instructor supplies. Ive got a budget of £500 to get a helmet and suit or jacket/jeans but my question is...

Would you just get a decent helmet and use his mingin jacket until I get my bike or...

Get textile for all year use or...

Get a cheap leather suit and textile jacket that will zip into the pants or none of the above. Just reading BigApes off and just setting out kinda puts the emphasis on decent kit.

Dan

fizzwheel
04-01-06, 07:15 PM
Personally I wouldnt go for the jacket and jeans combo. Jeans dont stand up well to tarmac....

A £50 helmet that fits you perfectly is going to give you better protection that a £500 Arai that doesnt fit

You dont have to spend alot of money to get decent kit, get yourself down to your nearest bike shop and have a look around and see what they have to offer, try stuff on sit on a bike with it on and see how it feels.

If you think you're likely to be riding all year then textiles with removable liners is going to be the way to go IMHO

Dont forget you are going to wanna get some boots to protect your feet as well.

If I was you, I'd find out where my nearest infinity, hein gerricke or J & S Accesories was.. all stock good quality stuff at reasonable prices

HTH good with luck with your DAS

TSM
04-01-06, 07:50 PM
I got my boots,gloves,trowsers & jacket before i started my DAS and just used their helmet. When i passed i got my own helmet. At minimum make sure you use some gloves & jacket.

When i redid my test (remove restriction) I went in my usual riding gear.

It costs more if you hurt than to protect yourself.

Its not all that expensive to get some gear.

abt £100 for rst jacket
less than £80 for rst textile trowsers
abt £50 for HG leather waterproof gloves
abt £130 for some sidi waterproof black rains
AGV - AIRTECH for about £140

Subtotal of abt £500 for all the above.

Just a guide but the stuff above is all good reasonable starter gear. The RST stuff is good value for money and if you upgrade to leather RST gear then the bits zip together. I have an RST jacket & leather trowsers and they are good, mine has been tested a few times and worked well, the HG gloves are briliant.

The above is by no means the best because as you have more money you should consider getting a back protector or at least upgrading the armour in the jackets and trowsers and there is no subsitute for leather on a high speed spill.

The most expensive helmet as everyone will say is not nesseraly the best, most helmets today are very good. But it should fit well. Not everyone can ware all the makes, some heads are Arai, some are Shoei. Fit over style.

I found this place online and have very good prices. www.hellmart.com

If you are trying to save a little bit, go try some helmets out find out what fits and you like. Then check the prices for the same item online. Helmets are the most critical to get correct.

furrybean
04-01-06, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I got a set of Sidi Vertigos for when I did my CBT as boots were the only thing the instructor wouldnt supply. At leat thats one thing I dont have to buy :thumbsup:

I tried on the Shoei Raid 2 when I bought the boots a while ago and it seemed to fit really nicely for my melonhead but I didnt try any AGV helmets. I'll see how much cash I have I'm off to the Manchester Bike Show on Sat so hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper.