PDA

View Full Version : brake dust seals only 2.50 each at Hamilton Motorcycles!

Dirty Baz
09-01-06, 04:46 PM
I had the brakes off to clean last weekend and after physically hammering one of the pistons back in last time I cleaned them (idiot, I know! :oops: ), the dust seals got nipped and popped out on me! I got quoted £120 for sort out the brakes so I decided to do it myself!

Mickey Scroats quoted me £22 for a left-hand brake seal kit (2 dust and 2 piston seals, when I only needed 2 dust! :roll: so a quick call round and I got the 2 dust seals for a fiver from Hamilton Motorcycle! They are also sourcing me a genuine filter for £24, not bad I though, Mickey Oats was £31!

So both brake were dismantled, cleaned, reassembled, red-rubber greased (thanks to my Dad for that!) and bled. Got a crappy dual bleed kit from Halfords for £4.99, pointless as the air kept getting through the nipples! Brakes were a bit soggy so I taped up the lever last night and hopefully should be good for the morning (hoping the weather is!). All in cost me about £18 as apposed to £120!

Though I'd share that with you incase anyone needs seals in the future!

quikstu
09-01-06, 04:55 PM
Brave man attempting that by yourself!

Wouldn't be me, but thats coz I'm crap at that kinda thing!

8)

northwind
10-01-06, 10:41 PM
If you're using those bleed kits, the trick is to get a wee jubilee clip and tighten them on, they work a charm then. Not much better than a bit of clear hose, mind. First time I've ever heard of a shop selling dust seals individually, I'll remember that... Think I might need a couple for mine come the spring.