PDA

View Full Version : Annual Rideout date. Weekend of July 8th / 9th.

Stig
12-01-06, 07:19 AM
As usual it's the date debate again. We all know from previous experience that any date that is picked will not be good for some people. It will unfortunately be impossible to get a date that will suit every one.

The dates in the poll are the selected possible dates. There are no other options. Please select the date that you would prefer to have AR06. The poll will run for two weeks, finishing on 27th January. At the end of this date the poll that has scored the most dates will be the date that is selected.

Once the date is selected there will be no changes. That date will be the confirmed date of AR06.

I apologise in advance if the date(s) selected are not suitable to you. But as I have said, it is not possible to find a date that will be agreeable to all.

Location is yet to be agreed. This is a poll only for the date not the venue. The venue for the rideout is still under discussion and will be posted shortly.

Lastly, I hope that you can make the eventual date selected and look forward to meeting you there.

Cheers

Si.

WildBill
12-01-06, 09:26 AM
There is no way I can make the weekend of June 24th / 25th. There is a bike rally near Derby that I'm going to.

I've put my vote to the July dates.

mysteryjimbo
12-01-06, 10:13 AM
I've put the first one in june as its a bit cooler and more comfortable. But i can go anytime.

Tara
12-01-06, 11:51 AM
I've put last week in June

Peter Henry
12-01-06, 02:14 PM
mysteryjimbo wrote:

I've put the first one in june as its a bit cooler

The potential heat is really an issue for you mate? :? All relative I guess!

Looks like the naughty boys and girls toying with the norf/sarf thingy can now relax and plan to PARTY! :lol:

All you peeps heading to the AR06.........ENJOY! (Only wish I could do both :cry: )

mysteryjimbo
12-01-06, 02:29 PM
mysteryjimbo wrote:

I've put the first one in june as its a bit cooler

The potential heat is really an issue for you mate? :? All relative I guess!

Looks like the naughty boys and girls toying with the norf/sarf thingy can now relax and plan to PARTY! :lol:

All you peeps heading to the AR06.........ENJOY! (Only wish I could do both :cry: )

I think i mentioned it somewhere else, the potential for "natural air conditioning" is reduced when riding in a group of more than 10! The AR tends to be a more leisurely pace.

Peter Henry
12-01-06, 02:51 PM
mysteryjimbo wrote:

leisurely pace.

Ah well if it's like that,then maybe the C90 I will be borrowing for the norf/sarf thingy...could be pressed in to more service! :lol: 8)

chazzyb
12-01-06, 06:46 PM
8th/9th July - VMCC Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park, if you're into that kind of thing - I am. :D

12-01-06, 08:07 PM
NOT VOTING BACAUSE ANY DATE WILL SUIT.

IF THE LINCS RUN IS PICKED I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GUIDE.

jonboy
12-01-06, 08:23 PM

Take note folks, that's a good attitude ;).

Spiderman
12-01-06, 08:33 PM
i dont even know what i'm doing this weekend let alone so far away.

I'll wait and see whats getting the most votes

jonboy
12-01-06, 09:29 PM

Yes but I think that's what all of us will do, cos no-one wants to turn up on the wrong day, do they? ;)

Quiff Wichard
12-01-06, 10:30 PM
not voting cos - I am goin !!!

whenever whatever and wherever.!!!

oh and leavin me cam at home this year.!

Peter Henry
12-01-06, 10:37 PM
Quiff..From what I hear the "leisurely pace" of the AR will suit you mate! :wink: :D

Viney
13-01-06, 09:23 AM

Take note folks, that's a good attitude ;).

I agree, but a 'Any of the above' might have also been useful in the voting. :D

Im easy as well, but you know that!!

Cloggsy
13-01-06, 09:47 AM
I can't do any of these dates :!:

I work ever-other weekend (which falls on the 10th/11th June & 24th 25th Jun,) and its the missus' birthday on the 9th Jul...

So I'm screwed :cry:

Stig
13-01-06, 10:10 AM
and its the missus' birthday on the 9th Jul...

So what's the problem :? :?: Bring her along as well. I'm sure she would have a lovely time and thank you from the heart of her bottom that you chose to take her to AR06 instead of some over priced restaurant that sold under cooked food and cheap plonk. :thumbsup:

mysteryjimbo
13-01-06, 10:48 AM
and its the missus' birthday on the 9th Jul...

So what's the problem :? :?: Bring her along as well. I'm sure she would have a lovely time and thank you from the heart of her bottom that you chose to take her to AR06 instead of some over priced restaurant that sold under cooked food and cheap plonk. :thumbsup:

Instead you can come eat under cooked AND over cooked BBQ food (balances itself out) and drink cheap plonk. Instead of some expensive hotel, you should come camping. Cant beat it! :lol:

jonboy
13-01-06, 12:35 PM
Yes let's not forget about the camping, if peeps make it a long weekend then the actual distance they have to travel won't seem as bad (or as good, dependent upon your viewpoint :lol: ).

This year is going to be far more socially orientated than previously, and for AR06 Big Ape is going to dye his hair blue with black and white stripes to match his bike, so don't miss it ;) - I mean peroxide blonde and red would be soooo last year :lol: .

falc
13-01-06, 01:20 PM
Aslong as we agree a date early then I can check if im working and book it off. I choose end of June though, same as my T :D

Stig
13-01-06, 01:30 PM
This year is going to be far more socially orientated than previously, and for AR06 Big Ape is going to dye his hair blue with black and white stripes to match his bike, so don't miss it ;) - I mean peroxide blonde and red would be soooo last year :lol: .

Argh! Now look what you have done. You have planted a little seed of "what can I do for AR06 that will be different and unusual". Hmmmmmm..........

Peter Henry
13-01-06, 02:39 PM
Quite a disappointing response to Ape's post thus far isn't it? I mean after all we are talking of the BIG ride out of the year for the SV peeps? What's going on? I confoosed! :?

Iansv
13-01-06, 03:17 PM
there's 40 votes already, not everyone needs to comment on what date they chose :P :wink:

Ceri JC
13-01-06, 03:30 PM
I would advise against 8/9th of July as this is the SV1000 website rideout and a few of us (myself, Nitronorry and others) are probably going to go to that.

mysteryjimbo
13-01-06, 05:19 PM
I would advise against 8/9th of July as this is the SV1000 website rideout and a few of us (myself, Nitronorry and others) are probably going to go to that.

Thats a very good point if you want the most numbers.

Viney
13-01-06, 05:32 PM

Thats a very good point if you want the most numbers.
But it is currently the most popular date.

IIRC last year was similar having like 25-30 votes on one date and loads more bikes turned up. i suppose that most just go wid da flo init :D

Si just remember your emplyers dim view of your hair last year....removebale dye might be best :D

Peter Henry
13-01-06, 07:46 PM
Ian..yes indeed 40 votes but not even with that number is there an obvious favourite from what I can see? Therefore if those that have voted for a particular day cannot attend on an alternative date then up to now just a little bit of non-interest going on?

Mind you I guess things will change when the good weather comes along and other peeps will just tag on to the elected date. 8)

DeanoN
13-01-06, 10:49 PM
I'm not voting. As long as I know a date early enough so I can get the ok from SWMBO I'll be able to make any date. :D

Saint Matt
14-01-06, 12:08 AM
Can fit in any weekend, really looking forward to the rideout, it was a shame I didn't have a bike at the last one.

El Saxo
14-01-06, 01:32 PM
Voted July 8th/9th

I'll have to book holidays from work no matter which weekend it falls on, but if it's in July then it means there's a pay day for me between this and the south-meets-north rideout, probably can't afford to do both in the same month...

Ceri JC
14-01-06, 02:03 PM
Ian..yes indeed 40 votes but not even with that number is there an obvious favourite from what I can see? Therefore if those that have voted for a particular day cannot attend on an alternative date then up to now just a little bit of non-interest going on?

Mind you I guess things will change when the good weather comes along and other peeps will just tag on to the elected date. 8)

I would be interested to see how many people have voted for a particular day for no real reason; IE they don't specifically know they can't make any of them. I really think a "I can make any of them really but I'd prefer..." might have been a good option.

Stig
14-01-06, 05:20 PM
To be honest I don't see that there is any point. The idea of the poll is to get the most favourable date of all that wish to attend. The dates are not going to be changed. So if anyone can not make any of the three weekends there is no point in them voting.

If I were to put a poll that stated can make any date and people voted for that, then they may as well not have voted in the first place. The idea is to get as many people as possible to choose from one of the three dates.

There was plenty of discussion before the dates were chosen. I did not choose the dates. We (as in admin, moderators) did not want a repetition of last year where by the discussion went on for weeks as to when it should be. Each time a date was mentioned there were people against it for what ever reason, and so it went on. This alone led to quite a few people not being able to get the time away from work or be able to make the necessary preparations. Baby sitters and the like.

At least this way a date will be chosen by the majority and it will give people far more advance notice of the actual date.

Hope this makes sense to you. I'm sure you will let me know if it is not.

fizzwheel
14-01-06, 05:40 PM
I've been keeping quiet about why i voted like I did but heres why

I'm going on the North South ride on the 17th / 18th june therefore the thought of AR06 being the weekend before or after this, doesnt really appeal, but if thats what everybody decides then fair enough so be it.

I going to Donnington on 2nd July for the GP, so that means that if AR06 is 8th / 9th july then I get a weekend off in between the North / South Rideout and AR06 if it falls on the july weekend. Which is why I voted for the 8th and 9th July.

I dont see why this has to be so difficult, its only a date, its months away, I am sure the majority of people could plan around it aslong as the date is set early enough.

I personally wouldnt want to see this all get moved about just to suit the needs of the few rather than the needs of many.

As always just my opinion

Moo
14-01-06, 06:29 PM
8th-9th July suits me best.

diamond
14-01-06, 07:24 PM
I would be interested to see how many people have voted for a particular day for no real reason; IE they don't specifically know they can't make any of them. I really think a "I can make any of them really but I'd prefer..." might have been a good option.

I disagree with this, personally I havent voted, purely because it doesnt matter to me what weekend it is as I will be going no matter what. I dont think that I can be the only person that hasnt voted. If people are finding that they have prior plans they should decide whats more important to them.

Stig
14-01-06, 07:33 PM
There really is no point in having a debate about this. The dates that have been picked were picked for a very good reason. As I stated in the first post, these dates are not going to be suitable for everyone. That would be impossible.

I for one also do not care and have not voted. I'm the same as e.d and will be going no matter what. The idea of the poll is to get the confirmed date at the earliest opportunity to allow everyone the most amount of time to get things sorted so that they CAN go.

If you can make any date then don't vote. If you can't make any date then don't vote. If sometime before then 27th you realise that you can make one of the dates, then you will still be free to vote. You can only vote once.

dirtydog
14-01-06, 09:50 PM
i've not voted as i can do any of the 3 weekends :D

Ceri JC
16-01-06, 05:27 PM

Good Man :)

Ed
16-01-06, 05:40 PM

Good Man :)

I did vote but only because I didn't read the instructions :roll:

Peter Henry
16-01-06, 05:56 PM
Sythree wrote:

I did vote but only because I didn't read the instructions

Whatever happened to the usual "due care and diligence" Mr.Lawyer? :lol: :lol:

Spiderman
16-01-06, 08:58 PM

Yes but I think that's what all of us will do, cos no-one wants to turn up on the wrong day, do they? ;)

Oh i dunno, those who hAVE HAD THE DUBIOUS PLEASURE OF RIDING with me may well decide to turn up on the wrong day....just so they dont get stuck behind me and my "every bend needs to be treated like a 50p piece" cornering skills. :lol:

:laughat: myself for being so damned crap some days.

Edit: dunno why that bit is in caps but i cant be bothered to change it. So you all got shouted at for half a sentence. Get over it, ok.

:P

mysteryjimbo
16-01-06, 09:48 PM

Oh i dunno, those who hAVE HAD THE DUBIOUS PLEASURE OF RIDING with me may well decide to turn up on the wrong day....just so they dont get stuck behind me and my "every bend needs to be treated like a 50p piece" cornering skills. :lol:

:laughat: myself for being so damned crap some days.

Edit: dunno why that bit is in caps but i cant be bothered to change it. So you all got shouted at for half a sentence. Get over it, ok.

:P
No one on here would be stupid enough to arrive a day early now surely????
:lol:

Now i intended to be a 1.5 days early last year. 2 nights camping, biking and at the pub :thumbsup:

Oh and a weekend away from the missus :oops:

Cazza
16-01-06, 10:18 PM
Any of those weekends looks good for me at the moment... :D

Ed
16-01-06, 11:49 PM
Sythree wrote:

I did vote but only because I didn't read the instructions

Whatever happened to the usual "due care and diligence" Mr.Lawyer? :lol: :lol:

The law ain't idiot-proof :wink:

Tara
17-01-06, 07:12 AM
I voted for the same reasons as Fizz

Samurai
17-01-06, 12:22 PM
I don't care what date the ride is as i will be going no matter what, i will free up the relivent weekend if i have to, :lol:

At least this year i won't have to be sat on the back of Baldymans bike wearing that stupid dayglow top this time. :oops:

I'll be riding in the pack 8)

jonboy
17-01-06, 08:23 PM
We're going to let the poll run for another week and then it'll be fixed in stone.

haggis
17-01-06, 11:06 PM
June 10th for me, I'm off work anyway but the rest are no-no's.

I'll be coming back from the TT mid-week so as long as I'm not fed up of 2 (yes, that's TWO!! ) weeks camping I'll hang around 'til Sunday for a chat 'n' blat with my SV buddies......then a long ride home.

Viney
20-01-06, 01:44 PM
Is the ride going to be a saturday or sunday ride?

jonboy
20-01-06, 01:58 PM
It's looking like a Saturday ride. Get there Friday - party, ride Saturday afternoon (then party :lol: ), followed by a relaxed Sunday morning and easy ride home.

Last Action Pimp
23-01-06, 07:34 PM
Weekend of July 8th / 9th. - is best for me

but i can do any of them at a push.

but be warned i get de-restricted on the thursday 8th of june and will be riding at midnight (7th) and all day (8th) so might be knackered by the 10th

Jelster
23-01-06, 07:49 PM
It's looking like a Saturday ride. Get there Friday - party, ride Saturday afternoon (then party :lol: ), followed by a relaxed Sunday morning and easy ride home..

Hmmm. a number of people have to work on Saturdays, personally I think the Sunday is better, but as I have a 9-5 5 day week, I'm cool either way.

Tara
23-01-06, 07:54 PM
I think Saturday is better to be honest then we can have a few more drinks on Saturday night and get up at our leisure on Sunday :?

Stig
23-01-06, 08:35 PM
I feel another poll coming :lol: :lol:

Sat ride or Sun ride.

Stig
23-01-06, 08:36 PM
In fact I WILL do another poll.

As soon as the poll for which date has finished I will start a new poll for Sat or Sun ride.

K
24-01-06, 11:17 AM
I've gone for tactical voting. I could kinda do the first date, but it would mean missing out on something else - this date is currently in second place.

Therefore (even though I am free for either of the two remaining dates) I have put my feeble weight behind 'July' in a meagre attempt to have the best of both worlds.

That and it's the one with a payday just before it! (Always a good thing!)

admin
24-01-06, 08:23 PM
I'm easy on this. We can do the rideout Sat or Sun. Sun might be quieter, but I'm happy to go with the consensus.

Someone, Jonboy I think, mentioned starting Sat afternoon. We could try that but I think we are talking about a 3 hour route. I was planning on spreading out the riding over the whole day with lots of food, coffee and fag breaks.

I'd soon start 11am ish.

Thoughts?

Stig
24-01-06, 08:36 PM
I think the fag brakes will come in handy. Jo will be pillioning for her very first time in a group and when she's nervous she smokes A LOT. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though. I personally would like to see more socializing than last year. The idea of arriving Friday, rideout Sat, down the pub on Sat night and a gentle ride home on the Sunday sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

jonboy
24-01-06, 09:55 PM
The only reason I mentioned starting the ride early on Saturday afternoon was to give those that aren't staying the Friday night, enough time to get there from afar. If we were to start at say midday and had a three hour route, then even with breaks etc this shouldn't really push the point of return past 5pm, which at the beginning of July, should be nice and bright still.

Personally I don't mind when or where cos I'll be there ;).

darylB
25-01-06, 09:22 AM
Not being picky, but, does the time of setting off have anything to do with the day chosen ?. Earlier start = earlier finish and more time to get back in the evening, the rideout usually gets going around 11-12 wherever it is.I would rather get up earlier in the day and get in earlier in the evening for a relax and nice hot bath full of bubbles!

Daryl :D

Jelster
25-01-06, 09:55 AM
Not being picky, but, does the time of setting off have anything to do with the day chosen ?. Earlier start = earlier finish and more time to get back in the evening, the rideout usually gets going around 11-12 wherever it is.I would rather get up earlier in the day and get in earlier in the evening for a relax and nice hot bath full of bubbles!

As it's on your doorstep Daryl I think you'll be OK whatever time we start :lol:

And thinking about it, starting a bit later (11-12'ish) will allow those with a 2-3 hour journey time to get their in the morning....

jonboy
25-01-06, 10:03 AM
And thinking about it, starting a bit later (11-12'ish) will allow those with a 2-3 hour journey time to get their in the morning...

That's precisely my reasoning too - midday gives us plenty of time for a 100mile rideout.

Amanda M
25-01-06, 10:16 AM
The idea of arriving Friday, rideout Sat, down the pub on Sat night and a gentle ride home on the Sunday sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a really good idea. I might be tempted to come along to this :P

Viney
25-01-06, 12:29 PM
Saturday is cool with me :D

darylB
25-01-06, 10:48 PM
When John,Ed and I looked at our intended route it was never intended to have a start time of earlier than 11,o'clock. Early afternoon would have been pushing it for the ride to have been completed with 2 or three stops and back for around 5 ish.

jonboy
25-01-06, 11:59 PM
How many miles are you looking at then Daryl?

Ed
26-01-06, 01:24 PM
Think Steve measured it at 158 miles.

jonboy
26-01-06, 01:32 PM
Last year was around 130 and lots of peeps said it was too much, so I therefore strongly suggest it's kept to around 100.

What does everyone else feel?

fizzwheel
26-01-06, 02:02 PM
With a big group I reckon its best to keep the milleage to with a tankful of petrol, So personally I think anywhere between 100 - 120 miles is enough otherwise it'll be chaos with everybody trying to fill up halfway or 3/4's of the way round the route

Ed
26-01-06, 02:08 PM
With a big group I reckon its best to keep the milleage to with a tankful of petrol, So personally I think anywhere between 100 - 120 miles is enough otherwise it'll be chaos with everybody trying to fill up halfway or 3/4's of the way round the route

There are plenty of PFSs on the route, it wouldn't be a problem. However the route I suggested can be shortened, no probs. Will refer to John on this.

jonboy
26-01-06, 02:36 PM
Personally I don't mind (particularly as I'll be camping and don't have another long ride home :lol: ) but there are deffo others who will find this a bit of a hurdle if they're having to make their way home of an evening too. And the more bikes and stops we have, the slower and longer it seems.

admin
26-01-06, 07:38 PM
We'll take another look at the route. Leaving stuff out is the hard bit as there are so many great roads to choose from.
John

jonboy
26-01-06, 07:59 PM
...as there are so many great roads to choose from.

Ah, music to my ears ;).

El Saxo
26-01-06, 08:05 PM
We're going to let the poll run for another week and then it'll be fixed in stone.

Is the date now decided then?

I only ask cos I need to book the time off work no matter which weekend we go, and a lot of people at the office are starting to book their holidays etc, and they'll only let a certain amount of people have the same holidays...

Stig
26-01-06, 08:10 PM
The poll finishes tomorrow night.

El Saxo
26-01-06, 08:12 PM
Ok, thanks bigape 8)

Stig
28-01-06, 03:13 PM
The Poll is finished, the votes have been counted and the date decided.

Weekend of July 8th / 9th it is. See you all there. :wink:

-close-