PDA

View Full Version : Is this the worst sprocket you have ever seen ??

JonToms
14-01-06, 06:13 PM
Today, i spent 4 hours replacing Falc's (wayne) Chain and sprockets. :cry:
And i have never seen such a mullered set of sprockets in my life, when he turned up it sounded like a bag of spanners coming down the road, and this was down to his knackered chain and sprocket's :shock:

On top of that, he has got to have the most feked rear caliper i have ever seen, including a knackered rear disk and the fronts aren't that far off either :shock: and the brake fluid is BLACK :shock:

His clutch cable is bolloxed and his clutch must be on it's last legs and this dude commuted to heathrow and back every day on it !! :lol:

I have now baptised this young man in the errors of his ways :lol: and have invited him back to jon's bike clinic once he has completed his shopping list of new parts :wink: and i will guide him through the steady process of "MAINTAINING HIS MOTORCYCLE"

I will now hand him over the the rest of the Gulidford Massive Congregation for a good old dose of "**** TAKING"

But the piece-de-resistance is........................................... the front sprocket nut was only staying on the bike thanks to the fact that the washer was bent over one of the faces of the nut :shock: OMFG! :shock:
heres some of the evidence :wink:

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/jontoms-sprocket2.JPG

JonToms
14-01-06, 06:24 PM
Ok shopping list is.........................

rear caliper service kit (you need pistons/seals/pad pins)
rear pads
front pads
rear disk
6x rear disk bolts
front/rear braided brake lines (hel are good but no anodised **** please) :lol:
1 large bottle of Rock oil dot 4.0 brake fluid
1 clutch cable
1 EBC clutch Kit (corks and springs, maybe plates )

1x 6 pack of Fosters as payment :wink:

and i do this for fun !!!! Blimey i should open a bike shop :lol:

falc
14-01-06, 07:15 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant post Jon :D Yes I do know the errors of my way, it was in a sorry state but I did make the good move of seeing Mr JonToms and letting him cast his expert eye over my bike. I cant really comment on what Jon said as its all true :shock: but apart from the chain, sprockets, brakes, clutch and some other bits it was in great condition :D

Thanks again though Jon, I know I took up most of your Saturday but I appreiciate your help on the bike and I shall get on top of those parts asap and give ya a bell when they are in

If you do open a bike shop sign me up as a platinum card customer :lol:

dirtydog
14-01-06, 08:37 PM
oh that sprocket isn't that bad :shock:

that's all that its meant to have to stop the sprocket nut coming undone :!: :!:

and i thought my sv was badly treated :oops: :oops:

dirtydog
14-01-06, 08:47 PM
oh and i've got a spare rear caliper hanging around here somewhere if you want it. it's in fair nick, may be a viable option instead of the strip and rebuild and a braided rear hose as well i think

Viney
15-01-06, 12:56 AM
JT, You wanna see some bad sprockets, take a trip to Watlings in Catford, they have a bad of the bad on show!!! One actally has 3 teeth missing!!!

falc
15-01-06, 10:31 AM
oh and i've got a spare rear caliper hanging around here somewhere if you want it. it's in fair nick, may be a viable option instead of the strip and rebuild and a braided rear hose as well i think

Excellent stuff! Got a pm

falc
15-01-06, 12:09 PM
Rear discs seem to be around the 60quid mark, any cheaper than this also are rear waveys worth it?

dirtydog
15-01-06, 02:17 PM
Rear discs seem to be around the 60quid mark, any cheaper than this also are rear waveys worth it?

i wouldn't bother with a wavey disc on the rear its not like the rear brake is that effective any way. it'd be all for looks and who looks at the rear disc!!!

$i
15-01-06, 04:06 PM
I thought i was bad falc! pmsl. :lol:

JonToms
15-01-06, 05:30 PM

Do you need some help as well young man !!!! :lol:

you young'un's tsk tsk tsk !!!!!!!!! :lol:

same as falc, bring parts and bring beers as payment and uncle jon's clinic will take in your sorry soul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sid Squid
15-01-06, 06:33 PM
No, it's not the most worn I've ever seen, I replaced one some years ago on a 350LC, there were only the roots of the teeth left - it was more or less just a circle with a wavy edge.

The owner brought me the bike complaining of clutch slip...

falc
15-01-06, 08:07 PM
No, it's not the most worn I've ever seen, I replaced one some years ago on a 350LC, there were only the roots of the teeth left - it was more or less just a circle with a wavy edge.

The owner brought me the bike complaining of clutch slip...

One way to get a slipper clutch I guess... :lol:

Mr Toad
15-01-06, 09:29 PM
1x 6 pack of Fosters as payment :wink:

At that rate you'll have lots of people booking their bikes in for your attention :lol:

zx6man
15-01-06, 09:35 PM
Had much worse when I had my gpz500 and no bike mechanical knowledge.. :shock:

$i
15-01-06, 11:38 PM

Do you need some help as well young man !!!! :lol:

you young'un's tsk tsk tsk !!!!!!!!! :lol:

same as falc, bring parts and bring beers as payment and uncle jon's clinic will take in your sorry soul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well if ya offering. jus need:

- chain
- sprockets
- speedo healer
- oil filter
- oil
- plugs
- new airfilter
- rear bt014

Got a wheel balancing machine by anychance jon? :lol:

Note: gonna need quite a few beers :wink:

falc
16-01-06, 11:59 AM
You could do alot yourself Si, the oil, oil filter, plugs, airfilter are all easy. Not sure bout the speedo healer.

Rest will need payment by beers, dont think Jon does Tyres at the moment (A possible future skill to learn Jon) :lol:

$i
16-01-06, 04:38 PM
:lol: I think we did have a discussion at one point about buying a bead breaker and stuff :lol:

:lol: :lol:

JonToms
16-01-06, 04:59 PM
hhhmmmm maybe a new purchase coming on.. :lol:

just been looking through deamon tweeks catalogue, hhmm not too pricey :wink:

well i suppose you've gotta have "all" the right kit really 8)

Grinch
16-01-06, 05:11 PM
I have a H/Duty Motorcycle Chain Breaker/Riveter 3in1 Kit.. even with that its difficult to break moden chains. Your better of with a dremel or something to just grind the nipples off with. Though the riveter bit seems to work just fine.

falc
16-01-06, 05:39 PM
That would be nifty Jon, would save us lot a bit of money :D

Scoobs
16-01-06, 05:43 PM
I have a H/Duty Motorcycle Chain Breaker/Riveter 3in1 Kit.. even with that its difficult to break moden chains. Your better of with a dremel or something to just grind the nipples off with. Though the riveter bit seems to work just fine.

I thought they were talking about a tyre bead breaker! :?

falc
16-01-06, 05:55 PM
I thought they were talking about a tyre bead breaker! :?

I thought we were too :shock:

Grinch
16-01-06, 06:10 PM
they probably where.. thats what I get for scanning while doing education at work... :(

chazzyb
18-02-06, 11:05 PM

I bought one today - Motrax? The instructions say you need to grind the end of a pin off before you push it out.

jambo
21-02-06, 12:33 PM
it's a little worn, I'll grant you :wink:

Saw the rear of Dan Walsh's BMW 650 in an issue of Bike a while back and he had a bunch of teeth missing off that, how the lad survives is beyond me but he's one of the best travel writers I've ever had a chance to read from.