PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Stars "Tech Road" Gloves

Jelster
17-01-06, 05:56 PM
Been after a pair of these for agaes but the new ones have only just come into the country.

They are a leather sports glove with a "Gortex" liner and a thin thermal layer. This results in a fully waterproof and windproof glove that is not much thicker than a standard sports glove.

Excellent fit and feel, but as always from Alpine Stars, they're not cheap at £99 :shock:

Topcat got himself a pair and recommended them to me, and I'm impressed, but it hasn't rained on me yet...

Iansv
17-01-06, 06:44 PM
warmth good ?

drumwrecker
17-01-06, 07:09 PM
Leather is water repellant but not waterproof so if you're out in a real drenching in the cold does this mean you end up with soggy leather filled with cold water with only a thin membrane keeping it away from your hands? That means really cold hands and a long time needed to dry the gloves properly.
When I say drenching I do mean an all day ride of 200/300 miles like London to the Isle of Man at night.
I'm not really up to date with all this modern technology and know leather can be treated but I understand it always leaks in the end. Is this so these days?

Jelster
17-01-06, 07:50 PM
Leather is water repellant but not waterproof so if you're out in a real drenching in the cold does this mean you end up with soggy leather filled with cold water with only a thin membrane keeping it away from your hands? That means really cold hands and a long time needed to dry the gloves properly.
When I say drenching I do mean an all day ride of 200/300 miles like London to the Isle of Man at night.
I'm not really up to date with all this modern technology and know leather can be treated but I understand it always leaks in the end. Is this so these days?

I hear what you say, but these are 100% water proof, not water repellant. Don't know how they do it but they do. Apparantly these are std issue for Thames Valley Police and this is the 2nd lot they have taken, so they can't be that bad.....

Warmth is good, but as I only got them today (which is milder than it has been) it's hard to tell.

What I can say is, that Alpine Stars have come up with a winter glove that allows you to have some feel and decent protection, as they're armoured.

http://www.onyerbike.net/content/images/352313.jpg

"Alpinestars Tech Road Gore-Tex integrates high-performance racing features and wet weather protection into one do-all sport-touring glove."

Above from www.onyerbike.net

jonboy
17-01-06, 08:19 PM
Steve before I forget, what were the gloves you showed me at Soho? The ones that were thinnish but waterproof and very warm - and do you still rate them?

Baldyman
18-01-06, 08:11 AM
I bought the Jet Road Goretex at the NEC and whilst a good warm WATERPROOF winter glove, they are a bit too thick for fine feedback from the handlebar grips!
If these give the same qualities, but thinner, then they get my vote.

Jelster
18-01-06, 09:30 AM
Steve before I forget, what were the gloves you showed me at Soho? The ones that were thinnish but waterproof and very warm - and do you still rate them?

They were HG's own "Toureg" glove and yes I still rate them but they do not have any armour, hence my aqusition of the new AS gloves. The HG ones have been fine all winter, my hands haven't got "too" cold at all since wearing them and as they're not too thick, they give some "feel".

Leigh, the "Tech Road" are not as thick as the "Jet Road" glove, which is why I waited for them to come into stock.

quikstu
18-01-06, 10:46 AM
Currently looking for an armoured, summer, gore-tex glove.
Anyone know of any good 'uns?

Probably best waiting a coupla months for the summer gear to hit the shops, but just wondering if there are any good ones out there at the mo.

A mate has a crackin pair from HG, but they are last season & no longer made even though they are still in the current brochure.

Ta.

Jelster
19-01-06, 12:48 AM
I think the Tech Road is the closest you'll get to a amoured sports glove with Gortex....

hall13uk
19-01-06, 12:12 PM
i have a pair :D lovely & warm with prima loft + goretex + comfy + good armour === hall happy :)

tricky
01-02-06, 01:59 PM
I've had a pair of these for a year now, absoultey superb.
I've got a pair of Jet road's as well for winter which are very similar, as baldyman pointed out they are a bit thicker and you lose a bit of "feel". Once they'd worn in a bit This wasn't really a problem for me.

quikstu
01-02-06, 10:30 PM
So are the Alpines good for summer then Tricky??????????

8)

tricky
02-02-06, 11:22 AM
So are the Alpines good for summer then Tricky??????????

8)

Hands get a bit sweaty on very hot days but yes :D

***Edit***

I would not say the tech-road is a winter glove, as it has no thermal lining.
The jet-road is a winter glove and a good one at that (see my earlier comments).
I wore my tech-roads throughout the summer but then switched to the Jet-Roads in October as my hands where starting to get cold.

quikstu
03-02-06, 10:22 AM
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

pepe
07-02-06, 04:19 PM
I've had the Tech Road Goretex gloves for about a year now and they've only let me down once in the waterproof department ( coming back from Donnington, but then everything was soaked through ), but I don't think the warmth is that good on them ( but as my comute isn't to far it's not to bad). I think they came second in Ride mag test.

lee_m
20-02-06, 09:38 AM
Hi, im new to biking (currently doing my DAS) and new to this site too.
Ive just bought a pair of tech roads, but they look a little different to the all the pictures ive seen on the net.
Where the 'star' is on the gloves pictured in this thread, mine have 'alpinestars' wrote and theres a few other differences, when I ordered them on the phone he did say that these are the 2006 ones?
I havent been able to find anything to confirm this though, not even the alpinestars website.

Jelster
20-02-06, 09:45 AM
That picture shows the 2005 glove. I've just checked, and mine are as you describe.

Another point on running armoured winter gloves.... While out with a riding buddy yesterday he kicked up a whopping great pebble as we were "in the zone". It hit my left hand inducing an immense amount of pain and I had to stop.

The knuckle area now has a mark on it, and, some 20 hours later, my hand is fine. The original impact was painful but I'm sure it stopped me getting a cracked or broken bone, so I'm not going out without armoured gloves ever again, not even in the winter.....

lee_m
20-02-06, 10:32 AM
That picture shows the 2005 glove. I've just checked, and mine are as you describe.

Thanks, I thought so...
Ive got a lesson on Thursday so i'll be able to try them out for the first time. Every review ive read of them said they are pretty good :)