PDA

View Full Version : The other thing is

The Mass
24-01-06, 02:05 PM
Hi All,

Sock combination in this bloody freeeeeezin weather.

Does anyone on here have a good sock combination that will keep my little toes warm?

IDeas welcome

Cheers - Mass

Scoobs
24-01-06, 02:10 PM
2 or 3 thin pairs rather than one thick pair. Also (ans I am not kidding here) wear some carrier bags over the socks inside your boots. Keeps the wind out and tootsies warm. I find Tescos value bags are better than ASDA, but both are surpassed by Sainsburys. :lol:

Carsick
24-01-06, 02:26 PM
Have a look at the sealskins range of socks. Not all of them are waterproof but I believe all are nice and warm and come with recommendations from all I know who've tried them.
They do a range which work well together as layers.

Scoobs
24-01-06, 02:32 PM
sealskins

Pricey.

you could keep yourself in carrier bags for life for the price o' them thar socks!

The Mass
24-01-06, 02:34 PM
Scoobs,

Do the carrier bags really work mate?
My feet yesterday were really, really cold, in fact whn I got into work, I nearly fell over, as I couldn't feel em.

Carsick
24-01-06, 02:38 PM
I don't find carrier bags work very well, personally. and if you try to use them to keep your feet dry, they seem to fail at that, as well.
I ended upgrading to decent boots and now have almost no problems even in awful weather.

The Mass
24-01-06, 02:41 PM
Don't have a problem with keeping my feet dry, as the boots I've got a pretty decent ones and I think goretex?

Yeah just checked they're gore-tex

But keeping them warm is another thing altogether, Hate my feet being cold. :(

Carsick
24-01-06, 02:46 PM
you could try the plastic bags then, but Scoobs was right about lots of thin layers. Make sure your socks aren't too tight, especially once your boots are on as well, cos that'll ensure you get cold.

wyrdness
24-01-06, 03:00 PM
I'm wearing a pair of thin cottonish socks (from Tesco, I think) under a pair of Black's hiking socks. Feet are nice and warm on the bike - unlike fingers.
Perhaps I should try socks on my hands :lol:

hall13uk
24-01-06, 03:02 PM
Perhaps I should try socks on my hands :lol: well you can get them with the single toes things :wink:

Stig
24-01-06, 07:32 PM
The thin layers and the plastic bag ideas are both good. Try a pair of thin socks, a plastic bag, and then thin socks. Warmth from your feet will go through the sock and be held in by the plastic bag. Like wise the cold will be trapped between the outer sock and the plastic bag.

Now I REALLY suffer from the cold. I personally got a pair of sympatec thermal waterproof socks dead cheap on EBay and they are fantastic.

ophic
24-01-06, 08:10 PM
i get cold wrists and neck, but i'm sure this is down to draught holes i haven't managed to cover up enough.

I wear a pair of snowboarding socks. Seems to do the trick :) Feet get cold but not freezing.

Peter Henry
24-01-06, 10:15 PM
Forget the socks Mass. Get yerself a pair of the brightest fluffiest Dougal from Magic roundabout slippers that you can find mate! Sorted! :lol:

madmal
24-01-06, 10:33 PM
Forget the socks Mass. Get yerself a pair of the brightest fluffiest Dougal from Magic roundabout slippers that you can find mate! Sorted! :lol:lol like it peter, but is this with carrier bags on your feet first? :D
i wear a real thin pair o socks with a thick pair over top. does job for me. plastic bags on last and your feet do stay dry in the wet. :)nice n toasty.

Jelster
24-01-06, 10:53 PM
I have got some thick trainer socks which I wear over the top of normal cotton socks and as they just cover your feet, not your ankles, they don't make the boot too tight...

Ed
24-01-06, 11:12 PM
I have got some thick trainer socks which I wear over the top of normal cotton socks and as they just cover your feet, not your ankles, they don't make the boot too tight...

You beat me to it. Trainer liners under normal socks is what I do.

Also - make sure you follow your grandmother's advice, and dry between your toes when you come out the shower. Seriously.

northwind
25-01-06, 12:53 PM
Better boots...

Mogs
25-01-06, 01:15 PM
Icelands carrier bags are quite good too - but you do get some funny looks from your colleagues in the office when you put them on.