PDA

View Full Version : Tyres!

muzikill
26-01-06, 09:18 AM
Right apart from reading everywhere else about what to do
(far too many unclear opinions and unclear views)

I need a new back tyre! - questions............

* is it ok just to replace the back as the fronts still got a lot of tread on it

* any real recommendations on what to get and where to go that aint gonna tip me off?

btw - i'll check me shifts for the ice cream run ok?

Cronos
26-01-06, 11:33 AM
Have a look at the Contacts (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=21317) post for Strathearn Tyres.

I've not used them myself, but they've been recommended a number of times on here.

northwind
27-01-06, 12:58 PM
What are you using at the moment? I'd put on Roadtecs if you want long life, Pilot Powers if you don't, but I'm biased ;)

In theory, the two things you want to avoid is having a stickier tyre on the back than on the front- because if you're going to loose traction you want it to happen at the back front, not the first- and having drastically different tyre profiles. That's the idea anyway.

Personally it doesn't bother me too much either way- I've been riding with an Azaro on the back and a Roadtec on the front for months and it was just fine. Felt a wee bit off at the back at first, since the Roadtecs are round and the Azaro's are flatter, but it was never a problem.

GDBD59
27-01-06, 11:42 PM

* is it ok just to replace the back as the fronts still got a lot of tread on it

Yes, but match it to the front (ie presumably get the same type of rear that's on now.)

a1a
29-01-06, 06:58 PM

* any real recommendations on what to get and where to go that aint gonna tip me off?

btw - i'll check me shifts for the ice cream run ok?
I'm not sure what tyres your currently running, but I just replaced my rear Dunlop D220 stock tire with another one. I only got 6,200 miles on the bike, so decided to stay with the same brand tire.
I will replace both tyres next time round with upgraded rubber. When the the stock front wears out.
Cheers!

Dirty Baz
01-02-06, 12:43 PM
I got 9,000 miles out of the stock rear D220 and the front still had loads of life left. However, I hated them so changed both to Conti Road Attacks for £140 ride-in fitment at Strathearn. Only took an hour.

Give them a phone. Depends on what tyres you've got at the moment.

DaBlackKnight
06-03-06, 02:42 PM
I got 9,000 miles out of the stock rear D220 and the front still had loads of life left. However, I hated them so changed both to Conti Road Attacks for £140 ride-in fitment at Strathearn. Only took an hour.

Give them a phone. Depends on what tyres you've got at the moment.

http://www.tyresalesuk.co.uk/

exactly what i was gona say my good man!
those d220 are SHOCKIN!!!!

Continetal Road Attacks = SUPER GLUE

i also only got 4k out the D220....must be the way i ride..lol