PDA

View Full Version : Possible camp site???

Stig
26-01-06, 07:20 PM
With so many people this year deciding to camp it, I thought that it would be wise to start searching for a suitable place early as to make sure that we could get somewhere that could cater for such a large number of people, tents and bikes.

I contacted a camp site that is situated in Much Wenlock, this is some 12 miles from the centre of Shrewsbury. For those that don't know, the rideout this year is to be in Shropshire. A home venue this year for the overlord of the org. :wink:

Anyway, back on track. I initially contacted the owner stating that this was a preliminary enquiry if they could accommodate the number of people (between 25-35) that we were expecting.

His reply to this was that at this time he could supply a whole field for the sole use of ourselves. This I thought would be ideal. He went on to explain that also available are two toilets a shower and (if we want) a kitchen. The kitchen is optional and would cost £45 per night. This would mean that the kitchen would be for our exclusive use. He did though also mention that if there were other campers in other areas that wished to use the kitchen then he would reduce the price accordingly.

The price for the camp site (excluding the kitchen) is £3 per person per night. If 20 people were to camp for two nights and we had the kitchen included that would equate to £5 per person per night. A tenner for the weekend.

The camp site is situated a quarter of a mile from Much Wenlock so in easy distance for the stagger home from the pub. :wink:

Depending on the final choice of the rideout I think that this would be an ideal place to start and finish the ride. We have a whole field that could accommodate the bikes for the start of the run, and obviously the same on our return. There is also a BP garage in Much Wenlock, so again very convenient for those needing to fill up before we start the ride and again, for those that are not staying, head home

Here for those that are interested is the link to the website.

Sytche & Stokes Barn (http://www.sytchecaravanandcamping.co.uk/)

Your thoughts please

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for those wanting hotels to stay in. There are at least three in Much Wenlock although I have not phoned any of them yet. For those wanting B&B, again I have not yet got on to that.

Anonymous
26-01-06, 07:24 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm not sure I'd use the kitchen but for just a few quid more its a good idea.
I'd go along with this idea.

admin
26-01-06, 07:46 PM
This might be a good place to start the rideout. If memory serves it's on the rideout route anyhow.

The current start point of Dobbies Island a49/a5 junction is a pig to get out of the services. Sythree , Daryl and I were looking for a better start point, so it might be easier to come down to MW.

This was the place that I had in mind, as it's the only campsite I know of in Shrewsbury (but I'm sure there are many more).
http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/shropshire/severnhouse.htm

John

Stig
26-01-06, 07:58 PM
That looks like a nice site John, the only down side that I can see is that it only has 25 pitches. If some are already taken before we arrive I'm not sure that all the campers would fit in there.

El Saxo
26-01-06, 07:59 PM
Both look good to me, but not knowing the area i guess it depends which is better located for the rideout.

I noticed that John's suggested site states 'Rallies welcome' on it's site, which i guess we could be classed as if there are a lot of bikes turning up.

jonboy
26-01-06, 08:03 PM
I do like the idea of a separate field for us hooligans :lol: .

Anonymous
26-01-06, 08:07 PM
I noticed that John's suggested site states 'Rallies welcome' on it's site, which i guess we could be classed as if there are a lot of bikes turning up.

Needs checking tho as could mean caravan rallies.

Spiderman
26-01-06, 08:57 PM
just been checking out possible places for me n mrs spidey to stay and found this site www.virtualshropshire.co.uk

So i'm browsing the hotles bit and came across this
******* Hall
01952 728775
57 Sheinton Street
Much Wenlock
Unique 15th Century Guest house with a wealth of beams and oak panelling. Rooms overlooking Wenlock Priory with tranquil garden. Located within 2 minutes walk of town.

:shock:

The link to the hotels site dont work, sadly cos it actually looks quite nice in the pictures :lol:

Ed
26-01-06, 10:27 PM
Guys - a few thoughts, I know both of these places well.

MW is a bigger site, no doubt. Plus it has the kitchen etc. A very pretty spot. However it's a bit of a stagger up the road (busy, and uphill) from the pubs in MW. Quite a few walkers/ramblers use the site. MW itself is a nice spot, small, deffo a village not a town, pitch black at night and you'd hear the owls and the nightingales. As re the B&Bs - well put it this way, Much Wenlock is not the sort of place that springs to mind when I think of bike meets. Getting out of the campsite would be a right turn onto a busyish road - the A458. The BP garage is on the other side of the village, but not far, heading for Bridgnorth. However MW could be a good place to start, in particular cos it gives a headstart on the route. But you'd miss the Cressage straight on the A458 between S'bury and Cressage, it's 2 miles straight as an arrow with excellent visibility, and also the ride up Wenlock Edge.

Montford Bridge - on the west side of S'bury, also very, very pretty, in the grounds of The Old Swan pub - good food too - right next to the Severn, so may be some midges around in summer, and if you're plastered there's a falling in hazard. There's another campsite on the other side of the river, Severn View or something I think. I'll have a mosey down, it's only a few miles away from here. Funny, I pass through Montford Bridge when I go to Ellesmere Port one day a week & never take any notice. It's a quiet road through MB (the old A5). No PFS in MB, the nearest is here at Meole Brace (pronounced Meal Brace). There's a big retail park here, so that would be a good place to start (John is right - the car park at Dobbies on the A5/A49 roundabout is hell on earth to get out of), and also there's another big car park behind the BP PFS here. Plus, Meole Brace is about a mile and a half from S'bury town centre. And you get the fabulous Cressage straight. Lots of B&Bs on the south side of S'bury.

If we start at Much Wenlock then on the way back we could cut off the bit from Newtown to Shrewsbury via Welshpool, and take the A489 from Newtown via Churchstoke to just above Craven Arms, up the A49 to Church Stretton (busy, but not far), then right at the traffic lights in CS onto the B something-or-other to Much Wenlock (this road's one of John's favourites!), all ace biking roads.

darylB
27-01-06, 07:28 AM
While there are no filling stations in montford bridge there is one just a few miles away in Ford, also the home of Dinky's diner, a hugely popular cafe type place with a large car park that can hold loads of bikes and easy to get back out of to start the ride from.

Daryl

Moo
27-01-06, 04:10 PM
Sounds good>

Ed
27-01-06, 04:28 PM
Sounds good>

Which?

27-01-06, 08:58 PM
good choice, got a gamekeeper mate at muchwenlock, will be able to drop in an see him.

dirtydog
27-01-06, 09:23 PM
like the sound of big apes site, and would pay a few axtra quid for the kitchen

Tara
28-01-06, 07:43 AM
I like the sound of Big Apes camp site and having a kitchen would be handy

Blue Flame
28-01-06, 10:01 AM
There was a link to a Much Wenlock Tourist guide on the website.

Here is the link Much Wenlock (http://www.muchwenlockguide.info/)

Also spotted this http://www.theedgemountainboarding.co.uk/ which might be fun on the Sunday morning before heading home.

Oh I've just spotted that they also have quad bikes for hire !!!

Might have to stay till Monday now :P

darylB
28-01-06, 08:59 PM
In the absence of john and Ed ( both away this weekend) and reading the posts i thought i had better put this up. we had a meet last night in the pub to try and work out the route and came up with the following. for ease of meeting and refuelling and people travelling from away we thought that Dinky's diner at ford would be the best starting point, large B P. station very close by( 400 yards)and food available at the diner. also toilets for those with weak bladders :lol: the place is easy to find and has plenty of room for the bikes, has been known to hold up to 200 for the annual red lion run!. as suggested by ed Montford Bridge has 2 campsites nearby (within 2 miles) and a fairly large pub that has 1 of the sites.
for those wanting b and b we haven't checked Montford Bridge yet but Shrewsbury is less than 5 miles down the road. loads of places to stay in or around the town. As to the ride we have a rough route planned but it will possibly need fine tuning when the weather and time to ride it allows. I also said that if people staying over sat night wanted i would be willing to do a short ride on the sunday am to Ironbridge for lunch perhaps at which point people could make their own way home from there, it's a fantastic road and the scenery is stunning. all this is obviously not set in stone but your thoughts would be welcome. Daryl.
p.s. Ford start because of getting to a diner in time for lunch.

Stig
28-01-06, 09:34 PM
Is this a round trip. i.e The start also being the finish ?

Can the camp sites cater for (possibly) 30 people, tents and bikes?

How much is the camp site and what amenities does it have?

jonboy
28-01-06, 10:00 PM
Yes we definitely need a circular route as most peeps will be camping.

Quiff Wichard
28-01-06, 10:41 PM
I think- fwiw - that Ape has it sussed in post one..
I mean - what more do we need..for those of us that camped last year we know
a field to ourselves wud be ace and a kitchen better even..!
if we gonna have a bbq or similar on the sat night this sounds perfect-

and all for a tenner.
Ape.ta fer all the work..I know it aint easy with family and work...u done a good job

and local to me..'ish..nore sore bum when i get home...!

looks good and gets my vote.

darylB
29-01-06, 05:02 AM
yes it is a circular route with two stops on the way round, as to the campsites which are very close together and have the usual facilities, the swan pub site is right by the pub which is fairly large and has a hard standing car park. if you google camping sites in shrewsbury both sites have websites to look at with all the information. the start point is a much more accessible place for peeps to meet to start the ride from than much wenlock and is handier for the planned route.

Stig
29-01-06, 06:53 AM
Looks as though you have it covered then :notworthy:

darylB
29-01-06, 03:59 PM
If , having looked at the two sites and not found them suitable you still wanted to camp at much wenlock it is only 30 mins or so from the start point
so it would be poss for u all to use the much wenlock site. nothing is set in stone yet and it all needs looking at now we know the date and proposed route. it may be that m.b isn't poss so we'll keep the options open at this stage, do you know how soon you'll have to book much wenlock ?. i'll talk to john and ed and see what they think.

Daryl :D

Stig
29-01-06, 05:21 PM
The guy that I contacted didn't say, but he did say "at the moment" he has a whole field that we could use. One of the reasons that I wanted to sort out the accommodation quickly is to make sure that we could book in advance to ensure that we have the space allocated early.

Obviously I have not actually seen the site, so it would be unwise to go ahead and book it without first someone checking it out. :wink:

admin
30-01-06, 07:32 PM
I guess we can check it out for you, hopefully this weekend. The link you inserted at the start of this post is going to a doman reg site. Got any other details?
John

Stig
30-01-06, 09:05 PM
Oh dear. Well I have the phone number of the place. Unfortunately I never spoke to him on the phone it was via email. I have the details at work. I shall email them to myself when I get it.

01952 728520

admin
02-02-06, 02:26 PM
Simon,
That numbers giving 'number not recognised'. I've sent an email meantime. not sure what's going on there :?

John

Stig
02-02-06, 06:51 PM
Maybe I scared him away :cry: :roll:

admin
04-02-06, 02:01 PM
Simon,
Nope don't think you did. I got a call later from a Derek Hill in response to my email. He sounded a nice chap, bit doddery though.

He explained where the camp site was, which appears to be on the telford road out of MW. He asked about the phone being NU and he gave he me this alternate number 01952 727274. He also said he'd send full detail by email, which I haven't seen yet.

Apparently there is a caretaker who looks after the site, but he's away until the end of Feb.

I'm getting the impression that this is a fairly laid back easy going sort of place. Probably a farm that's diversifying a bit.

I'll try and get over there this weekend for a look.

John

Ed
05-02-06, 06:36 PM
Haven't been to look at camp sites I'm afraid, but there's always my back garden!!

admin
06-02-06, 08:12 PM
Didn't get a chance to look at the weekend, but I did notice this on the way to Ford tonight.

http://ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4407
http://www.ukcampsite.com/heart-of-england/cartref-caravan-and-camping-site.htm

This is bang on top of Dinkies diner, the big petrol station and a reasonable cab fare to Shrewsbury centre, although there is a big pub next to the BP station that looks worth investigating, Daryl and Ed? purely in the interest of the campers mind, but as we're there, maybe a pint or two, shame not to really....

John

Ed
06-02-06, 10:19 PM
Yes I agree, a quick hop out to Ford would be a good idea, it's thirsty work inspecting camp sites, so we'll check out the pub too :drink:

darylB
06-02-06, 10:27 PM
What a shame i am teetotal !!!!!!!!. o.k then in the name of keeping john and ed upright i will endeavour to go as well to keep them in order.

:D :D :D

Daryl.

Anonymous
06-02-06, 10:30 PM
GET ON WITH IT!!!!! :roll:

:wink:

admin
09-02-06, 08:53 PM
Right, Daryl and I headed for Ford and took a look at the pub next the BP petrol station. Nice pub, upmarket, sort of place you might take the wife or GF for bit of posh nosh. I don't think they'd appreciate 60 hairy arsed bikers decending on the place, although the mental picture does make me chuckle.

So we thought we'd go to Montford bridge, which is only a stone throws away and which Sythree originally suggested as a camp site. We dropped into the Swan PH which owns the campsite. Nice regular pub, does meals. Has a large function room and is happy to have us. Spoke to the very nice barmaid ;-) and she confirmed that they also have an overflow field so the limit on 25 pitches is not strictly true. I mentioned what we had in mind and she didn't run away screaming. She also mentioned that they have a shower block. Cost per pitch is £5 a night for two people, an extra £1.50 per extra person (if that makes sense).

So my choice would be this place. A pub with a campsite attached. Friendly staff, showers, hardstanding for the bikes, easy to find, close to the start of the rideout, short staggering distance from pub back to tent (or river).

Here are the details from the business card she gave me. She also asked the proposed date, which we gave. She mentioned that we book soon to avoid disapointment, as this is a busy period.

Ask for Denise or Julie

The Old Swan
Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury. 01743 850750
Open 7 days a week, lunchtime catering 12-2, evening catering 6-9.30, Sunday Carvery.
Also Bed and Breakfast
Function room

Cut and paste this without the c/r into browser for map

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?local=h&scale=100000&lon=-2.84339998357876&lat=52.7322991492348&icon=x

Stig
09-02-06, 10:04 PM
Hey sounds good to me. I shall be booking in the very near future. :thumbsup:

darylB
10-02-06, 08:04 AM
Well done that man, i don't remember what the barmaid looked like cos unlike john i was there purely to see if the pub and campsite would be suitable for the :lol: rcampers!!!!!!!! . As john said it does seem to fill in all the boxes, as long as the river doesn't flood and wash you all away.

Daryl.

dirtydog
10-02-06, 09:17 AM
so is this the one were booking?

Moo
10-02-06, 04:21 PM
GET ON WITH IT!!!!! :roll:

:wink:

Yeah what he said. :wink:

Ed
10-02-06, 09:02 PM
Montford Bridge is a great spot and the pub is very nice. Has anyone done a risk assessment :lol: :lol: :lol: - there's a real risk of falling in the Severn if you get completely rat-arsed. Mind, you could then swim to Newtown, and meet everyone else there :wink:

dirtydog
11-02-06, 02:34 PM
so is it going to be group booked or are we to do it individually?
If everyone was willing we could group book it and divide the cost between everyone on the night?

Carsick
11-02-06, 02:42 PM
Montford Bridge is a great spot and the pub is very nice. Has anyone done a risk assessment :lol: :lol: :lol: - there's a real risk of falling in the Severn if you get completely rat-arsed. Mind, you could then swim to Newtown, and meet everyone else there :wink:
We did briefly worry that we'd lost WildBill in the river last year.

petevtwin650
12-02-06, 11:24 AM
http://www.bikersparadisewales.co.uk/

You guys might want to try here. 4 two berth caravans, 6 berth bunkhouse and plenty of camping space. £15 for a couple or a tenner each per night plus brekkie at £2.50, and they'll lay on a decent barbi for a fiver each.

We went twice last year as a group and are going again this year.

Great roads, and Bob Carol and Hilary are lovely people who'll do everything possible to make the event run smoothly.

Pics: http://groups.msn.com/westmidsriderscouk/bikersparadiseweekend090705.msnw

Ed
13-02-06, 11:20 PM
Looksnice, but it's quite some way off route Pete. Think we've settled at Montford Bridge, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous
14-02-06, 08:04 AM
Could the final campsite be decided and the added to the main thread as an announcement?

darylB
14-02-06, 02:02 PM
the sooner the site is decided the better, avin looked at it john and i think it is your best bet, (montford bridge ) it may also be useful to know how many are booking, if there are enough staying the swan has a largish room which may be worth trying to hire /book for the evening .

Daryl.

dirtydog
14-02-06, 02:48 PM
what about doing a group booking and then divvy out the costs on the day? then everyone will be in the same place if they want to be.
maybe just see if we can have a bbq on site on the saturday after the run?

Anonymous
15-02-06, 03:44 PM
come on people just make a decision I like the sound of the campsite in the pub grounds :wink:

Ed
15-02-06, 03:51 PM
come on people just make a decision I like the sound of the campsite in the pub grounds :wink:

The Old Swan camp site - that's the one nutty's referring to - is I think the best. Who needs to make the decision? Admin?

Anonymous
15-02-06, 05:22 PM
Best way to sort this is form a committee.......

............. :roll:

:wink: :lol: :lol:

caz650s
15-02-06, 05:51 PM
Hi All , My name is Caz and live in Devon and this is my first posting ! have booked leave for 06 run and am up for booking campsite a.s.a.p. :D

jonboy
15-02-06, 05:54 PM
Who needs to make the decision? Admin?

Yes, let John make the final decision - then if it goes wrong... :lol: :wink:

darylB
15-02-06, 07:02 PM
Having spoken to John, we can only say thet the swan site looks the best bet, but not avin used it can't say how good it is, at hte end of the day it is up to each person to book for themselves. being so close to the rideout start and in the grounds of a large pub must be good, while not reccommending it , it does seem the best bet for u all, i would advise peeps to book asap to make sure of all getting in , but they do seem able to accommodate a lot of tents.

Daryl

caz650s
15-02-06, 07:09 PM
Thanks to all of you that have been involved in getting info on sites and routes etc. I have been involved in organising events in the past and know how hard it is ! I think the whole weekend sounds fine and will be booking up soon.

admin
15-02-06, 07:38 PM
Go for the Swan. As Daryl states, we haven't used it ourselves but it's got to be the best option based on it's location, facilities and access to the start of the rideout.

Get booking.

Can I also suggest that we start a register to log how many people are planning to camp at the Swan. Given enough interest we might ask if we can use the function room for the evening entertainment/food. I simple poll should suffice, people can just add their names and we'll see how the list grows.

Yes, let John make the final decision - then if it goes wrong... Laughing Wink I'll blame Daryl, if it goes great then I'll all be down to me. (years of management training)

John

dirtydog
15-02-06, 07:39 PM
so are we all going for the swan pub then?

jonboy
15-02-06, 08:39 PM
Right The Old Swan it is then!

Anonymous
15-02-06, 08:39 PM
Right The Old Swan it is then!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm................I dunno.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jonboy
15-02-06, 08:41 PM
Right The Old Swan it is then - maybe :roll: :wink: .

dirtydog
15-02-06, 09:05 PM
right booking my pitch in the morning then :D

Stig
15-02-06, 09:15 PM
The site has been chosen see here (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=481810#481810) for further details. :thumbsup:

-close-