PDA

View Full Version : NICE BUT COLD FINGERS

Well Oiled
29-01-06, 10:01 PM
Had to go to IKEA to pick up a light fitting, so made a ride of it.

Went from IKEA up through Ripley onto A6 and up to Matlock. Very few bikes at Matlock, maybe half a dozen. Brief stop to warm up the hands, then off back through Belper and back home. Fingers were getting pretty painful by the time I got back.

Back was a little squirmy, probably combination of a few damp patches and cold tyres. Soon be warm enough for proper rides. :P

Cheers Keith

derbybiker
29-01-06, 10:49 PM
I went over to Stoke at 08:00 this morning, hardly anybody on the road and it was a bit 'fresh' :shock: . Glad I've got my heated grips working again :lol:

Well Oiled
30-01-06, 12:20 PM
I went over to Stoke at 08:00 this morning, hardly anybody on the road and it was a bit 'fresh' :shock: . Glad I've got my heated grips working again :lol:

Might have to invest in them. On the bike today (Used my usual indicator - looked out of the bedroom window and the garage roof wasn't icy).

Part of the squirmeiness I mentioned might have been tyre pressure - I was about 6 or 7 PSI down. I also noted the bit on Conti's (via your link) that they run a few PSI higher.

Do you use the SV's settings or Conti's? 42 PSI on the rear seems a bit high to me, contact patch would be getting pretty small ?

bobbydazzler
30-01-06, 03:00 PM
i go for about 40 on rear and 35 on front with my conti's. not sure if this right though and the rear slides quite easily

mysteryjimbo
30-01-06, 03:04 PM
Had to go to IKEA to pick up a light fitting, so made a ride of it.

Went from IKEA up through Ripley onto A6 and up to Matlock. Very few bikes at Matlock, maybe half a dozen. Brief stop to warm up the hands, then off back through Belper and back home. Fingers were getting pretty painful by the time I got back.

Back was a little squirmy, probably combination of a few damp patches and cold tyres. Soon be warm enough for proper rides. :P

Cheers Keith

Wuss! :lol: I do 60 miles a day every day. A bit chilly today :lol:

I wont mention that ive got heated grips Did i say that out loud??

derbybiker
30-01-06, 07:16 PM
Do you use the SV's settings or Conti's? 42 PSI on the rear seems a bit high to me, contact patch would be getting pretty small ?

I'm using the conti settings of 42/36 and not had a problem in fact they are a lot better than my old Pirelli's which I ran at the Suzuki 36/33 settings and they were all over the place in the damp. The only movement I've had from the conti's was going over some of the tarmac they use in the joins - and that was going round an uphill bend (Ashby by-pass for those that know it).

Saint Matt
30-01-06, 07:26 PM
Part of the squirmeiness I mentioned might have been tyre pressure - I was about 6 or 7 PSI down. I also noted the bit on Conti's (via your link) that they run a few PSI higher.

You didnt use that crappy free tyre thing at that shell garage that you made me use once did you? They are naff! I checked them the next day at work and they were about 6psi out.

Well Oiled
30-01-06, 08:10 PM
Yer cheeky whippersnapper. That was on the official Lubrizol field test big-ass pressure gauge this morning when I got to work.

Oh and Jimbo - heated grips are for shandy drinking poofs (no offence DB)

derbybiker
30-01-06, 08:44 PM

none taken - just wait till we next see ya

30-01-06, 09:31 PM

none taken - just wait till we next see ya

yes there is

now wheres me pop

Well Oiled
31-01-06, 02:39 PM

I'm using the conti settings of 42/36 and not had a problem in fact they are a lot better than my old Pirelli's which I ran at the Suzuki 36/33 settings and they were all over the place in the damp. The only movement I've had from the conti's was going over some of the tarmac they use in the joins - and that was going round an uphill bend (Ashby by-pass for those that know it).

I guess the greater the rider mass, the higher the tyre pressure required. Now why is it you have yours at 42 PSI? :roll:

mysteryjimbo
31-01-06, 02:52 PM
Perhaps he like to live life on the edge?

derbybiker
31-01-06, 05:12 PM
I guess the greater the rider mass, the higher the tyre pressure required. Now why is it you have yours at 42 PSI? :roll: :winner: