PDA

View Full Version : Winter textile trousers

Viney
03-02-06, 11:37 AM
Need some new ones. My Richa monsoons are a joke. Its the second pair i have had, the 1st pair a little over 3 months, this pair, just over the year, and again they have started to leak. Even at £90 i would have thought they would last a tad better than that. I spoke to the importer and they dont want to know (As usual)

So time to buy something a little better. Im thinking Frank Thomas? However, so many to choose from. My budget is around £120ish.

So do you:
a) Have FT Textile trousers, if so, how do you rate them?
b) If not, what do you have and how do you rate them?

Im off to the show this weekend and will come home with something, and some trousers ;)

thor
03-02-06, 11:42 AM
I got some rukkas last year at Ally Pally. Both me and Kate rate them very highly. They're not cheap, but neither of us have ever known them to leak, and both have stood up well to the odd tarmac slide :wink: The only downside is that the waist is elasticated, which I hate, but it would be fine if they zipped to your jacket. Kate actually bought a rukka jacket to match in fact.

Viney
03-02-06, 12:13 PM
I got some rukkas last year at Ally Pally. Both me and Kate rate them very highly. They're not cheap, but neither of us have ever known them to leak, and both have stood up well to the odd tarmac slide :wink: The only downside is that the waist is elasticated, which I hate, but it would be fine if they zipped to your jacket. Kate actually bought a rukka jacket to match in fact.
Rukka are just tooooo expensive imho no matter how good they are.

thor
03-02-06, 12:25 PM
Fair enough, but I think they are worth it.

Red ones
03-02-06, 12:48 PM
I bought these Dianese D-dri (http://www.bikestop.co.uk/detail.php?id=1393) absolutely the dog's bits. Dry - fit with my Dianese jacket and they look ok too - I don't need worry what I look like when I arrive at meetings

Viney
03-02-06, 02:08 PM
Fair enough, but I think they are worth it.
Thats cool mate, and they probably are good. Just a tad out of my price range

mynameis
04-02-06, 11:01 AM
Hein Gericke is quality kit at a reasonable price.

http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/products_id/441

jonboy
04-02-06, 11:13 AM
Need some new ones. My Richa monsoons are a joke. Its the second pair i have had, the 1st pair a little over 3 months, this pair, just over the year, and again they have started to leak. Even at £90 i would have thought they would last a tad better than that. I spoke to the importer and they dont want to know (As usual)

But if you bought from a retailer then surely you've stated that they're not fit for the purpose etc and have asked for your money back?

fizzwheel
04-02-06, 11:13 AM
I've got two pairs of textiles

A pair of Frank Thomas Aqua that I bought for £80 3 years ago, They've never leaked, however the zips bust on one of the legs and also the zip on the fly broke a while ago. I used these everyday for nearly two years before I bought my leathers last summer and TBH for £80 I cant really complain. They have a removable liner as well. They've got no armour in them though.

I replaced these with a pair of Alpinestars Drystar trousers. Paid £150, these have armour in the hips and knees. They are better for me as they are slightly longer in the leg than the frank thomas trousers and also they are much much warmer than the frank thomas ones as well. The zip on one of the legs broke about 4 weeks after I bought them so they've gone back to Alpinestars to be fixed. My brother also has a pair of these and he's had them for ages and they've never leaked and I would recommend a pair if your budget can stretch to them.

Heres a link with more info

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_ST-5_Drystar_Pants--521-322-351-10.html

HTH

will
04-02-06, 11:35 AM
i have hein gericke textile gore-tex, i think they were bout 100/110 quid. very comfy, warm and 100% waterproof. plenty of hiprotec knee/shin/hip armour.

i recommend them.

Viney
06-02-06, 09:17 AM

But if you bought from a retailer then surely you've stated that they're not fit for the purpose etc and have asked for your money back?

I got an exchange on the 1st pair, the second pair where outside the year.

As for the new ones, i couldnt get on with any of the FT stuff. I tried a couple of pairs on, and sadly didnt like any of them. So i think im going to wander off the HG this weekend and have a look around. Thanks for the input people of the org :D

Stormspiel
06-02-06, 11:22 AM
I've got two pairs of textiles A pair of Frank Thomas Aqua that I bought for £80 3 years ago, They've never leaked, however the zips bust on one of the legs and also the zip on the fly broke a while ago. I used these everyday for nearly two years before I bought my leathers last summer and TBH for £80 I cant really complain. They have a removable liner as well. They've got no armour in them though.

I've got the Lewis (FT rip-off) Stormguard trousers, worn every weekday for nearly 2 years and never leaked. Armoured at the Knees with pockets for the hips. Removable liner that'll melt you in the summer. I can easily get my work trousers under them. They just make my bum look huge and droopy :oops: £70 i think they were.

TC3
06-02-06, 01:30 PM
Got some Akito trousers for 60 quid from J&S and they have done a good job this winter of keeping me warm and dry

northwind
07-02-06, 05:16 PM
I had anm excellent pair of Belstaff Polars... Out of production now but you can still find them in the shops sometimse. No hip armour so I had to replace them- instead I got a pair of Belstaff Explorers, whioch are great but aren't actually waterproof around the knees, for some mad reason. But they come with waterproofs :roll:

Iansv
07-02-06, 06:19 PM
Got some swift ones on offer from busters, they do the job and only £50... dunno what they are now tho

tiggers1963
20-02-06, 08:37 PM
i bought some JTS waterproff kit from a local bike shop. Top gear and cheap as well I paid 79.99 for the jacket and 49.99 for the trousers, they aint leaked yet and i've worn them in some atrocious weather.
their website is here.
http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/index.htm

Cloggsy
20-02-06, 08:57 PM
Hein Gericke is quality kit at a reasonable price.

http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/products_id/441

Ditto :!: Plus they're guarenteed, my bike instructor had some (not the same style as these,) & bearing in mind he's out in all weathers teaching, the first sign of leakage, he took them back & was given a new pair straight away :!: