PDA

View Full Version : Best thing I did - new helmet. SHOEI XR1000

Shooter
17-02-06, 08:16 PM
Invested in a new helmet after using the incumbent for 30,000kms. I was after a lighter helmet and wanted to get away from BLACK for better visibility to other road users.

Bought a SHOEI XR1000 (Silver Pearl ) to replace the Shoei Raid and I am rapt with it.

Noticably improved over the old helmet:

Weight - 200grams lighter makes a huge difference.

Comfort level and fit is excellent. (Removeable padding with options.)

Aerodynamics of the helmet feels "slippery", particularly when fwd facing. There is no "lift" and the helmet feels like it can be positioned at a number of comfortable angles. This is a great help to my neck muscles that often tired and ached previousl.

Noise level is much improved - quieter ( I am going to try the optional whisper kit on it - they are rated very highly by users)

Ventillation is almost too good.

Peripheral vision is noticeably better.

Double D rings have a better strap tail fastener system.

In my first week with it (500kms), the above added up to less fatiguing and more comfortable riding (particularly at speed).

BTW : I wear specs.

The Ducati logos and the blue visor bling I added have individualised it with a bit of style.

I thought it worth a reccomendation to others looking at a new helmet .

Ed
25-02-06, 09:48 PM
I was looking at Raid 2s (can't remember the name of the design, it's white with red graphic - very 8) ) and XR 1000s today - I have a Raid mark I - I thought the XR was a bit pricey. But with such a good recommendation, maybe I'll look again...

wyrdness
26-02-06, 03:36 PM
I was looking at Raid 2s (can't remember the name of the design, it's white with red graphic - very 8) ) and XR 1000s today - I have a Raid mark I - I thought the XR was a bit pricey. But with such a good recommendation, maybe I'll look again...

I was looking at both of those recently too. Both are much lighter than the Raid I and I think that either would be a good choice. There wasn't much difference in price when I saw them.

GSXR Carlos
27-02-06, 02:38 PM
i'm possibly getting a xr 1000 from a *cough* friend *cough*, looking forward to it now :wink:

mburnstead
09-03-06, 08:42 PM

I recently got an XR1000 off a dealer on eBay. Turned up brand new and boxed (as you'd expect!!) and at only £209 delivered it was a steal compared to the £330 from most places. I can't remember the name of the eBay shop but I can probably dig it out if anyone wants to know...

Great lid overall, exceptionally comfortable for my head, extremely well made, but it's noisier than the Raid 1 I had before, so I'm going to get a whisper curtain for it and see how it is then, otherwise it'll be ear plugs at all times!

zx6man
09-03-06, 10:12 PM
I have the green n black one....awesome lid

Cloggsy
09-03-06, 10:50 PM
I have the green n black one...

What about your helmet :shock:

Ba dum Chish :roll:

"TAXI"

zx6man
15-03-06, 09:34 PM
Your right...bike , helmet , body..all black and green

Abyss
28-06-06, 04:21 PM
Reviving a dead post but this helmet is top of my list at the moment and found it for £220 from here (http://www.bigbikebook.com/order.asp?Page=/helmets/helmets.asp&section=1&subsection=1&Price=0&Start=25&Keyword=&SearchDescription=&Zone=&product=1928)

Anyone know of a better price?

Cheers
Leon / Abyss

wheelnut
28-06-06, 04:43 PM
Im certainly in the market for a new lid. I have tried Arai and Schoei and prefer the Schoei but could not get used to the new fastener. I suppose it will come with practice, but my old AGV Flyer fits like a pair of slippers :P

I will try a few on tomorrow in Pidcock Motorcycles

wyrdness
28-06-06, 09:38 PM
Reviving a dead post but this helmet is top of my list at the moment and found it for £220 from here (http://www.bigbikebook.com/order.asp?Page=/helmets/helmets.asp&section=1&subsection=1&Price=0&Start=25&Keyword=&SearchDescription=&Zone=&product=1928)

Cheers
Leon / Abyss

£199 from http://www.gear4bikers.co.uk/
I haven't checked what postage costs. Some places advertise cheaper prices and then add on a huge amount for postage.

Abyss
02-07-06, 07:12 PM

Cheers
Leon / Abyss

£199 from http://www.gear4bikers.co.uk/
I haven't checked what postage costs. Some places advertise cheaper prices and then add on a huge amount for postage.

I tried on aload of lids yesterday and the XR-1000 came out top for the £200 you can get it for... so ive ordered one :)

Ch00
02-07-06, 11:00 PM
I too have a XR-1000 in black. Fits nice as i too wear glasses.

Ch00