PDA

View Full Version : Batytery Problems (I Think)

DaBlackKnight
19-02-06, 03:58 PM
:twisted: DBK :twisted:
Howday all...
long time no see....thought this site as closed down....or mibi it was a dream i had...anyways...

i am having problems with my bike!

Last year in sept the bike just died on me....
Had to go into garage...nothing wrong with battery, but something had erroded near the ignition switch...got it fixde..all sorted...

BUT NOW...and for last few weeks....the battery is not charging...i have an optimate charger for the bike.....and for last 2 weeks its been charging, but never completeing its charge.....2-3 weeks ago the bike as dead....turning the ignition did nothing.......lef it charging for 2 days......came back.........still not fully charged......but the bike started up and all lights and electricals worked fine....
so left the optimate to do its thing....

just back from the garage to find the battery has still not taken a complete charge...disconnected it.....turned the egnition on and everything kicks up fine as normal.....turned off ignition...came back to the bike about 3 mins later...wheeled it out the garage.....put in the keys and turned the igition on....

nothing.....no sign of life what so ever.....

i do have an autocom system installed on the bike as well....
Does anyone else have one? Should you be able to use the autocom system with out having the key turned on in the ignition?

so the question i have is....
anyone have any idea's what i can do or had same problems?
How much is a new battery and where can i get one?

any and all help would be appriciated as i have just about had enough of bieks and cars following over and dieing on me!

cheers

DBK

Roy650s
19-02-06, 06:15 PM
My battery just died on me as well, see http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=33476 but to be honest it's five years old and Iv'e never had a battery last that long before. Maybe only 2-3 years tops. You should be able get one for 40-50 quid.

I'm off to do a search now so i'll try to let you know how i get on.

northwind
19-02-06, 06:21 PM
Yup, it does indeed sound like your battery's dead. Or your Optimate and your regulator/rectifier both are.

I just replaced my own battery- the original one, finally keeled over after 5 years- with one of the new Yuasa YTS models- the high cold cranking output ones. It's a little bigger than standard, but fits just fine into the curvy. Again, not sure what an injected model looks like under the seat but on the curvy there's loads of space you can liberate. Can't recall where I got it just now, it was a mail order place.

Roy650s
19-02-06, 06:38 PM
£30 Pattern Parts.

http://www.patternparts.net/stock_refine.asp?model=91&category=5&model_go.x=7&model_go.y=11

DaBlackKnight
19-02-06, 07:01 PM
£30 Pattern Parts.

http://www.patternparts.net/stock_refine.asp?model=91&category=5&model_go.x=7&model_go.y=11

excelnty!
i thought deep down it was battery after all....as the optimate did rescue the battery so far....but if battery is knackerd not much optimate can do....
prob cheaper trying to order a battery 1st than upgrading my AA to get home side help. to take bike down to irvine...but i do liove at the top of a hill...could mibi role it down the hill until i am at least 1 mile away from house......

but snyways....mibi suzuki at irive did not install it correctly in the 1st place...
take it taht place is ok to order stuff off? - not gona get a brick in a box when i get the parcell at my house?..lol

Roy650s
20-02-06, 08:00 PM
take it taht place is ok to order stuff off? - not gona get a brick in a box when i get the parcell at my house?..lol

Dunno mate, I've never used them. They've been about for a while though.

independentphoto
21-02-06, 12:10 AM
Hmmm- sounds like the regulator may have gone causing the battery to be damaged by overcharging. Reading the many posts on here about dodgy batteries, it almost always comes down to either old age or a knackered regulator.

Good luck with that one.

Garry :wink:

DaBlackKnight
22-02-06, 05:23 PM
think da black knight has solved the mistery of the battery!!!

OK...
suzuki wirred up autocom wrong way, as such it was always tunred on not matter if there was no key in ignition!
mix that with the fact the optimate was trying to charge the battery at the same time and you have a recipy for distaster!

bascially the optimate backed in as it was not designed to charge a battery whikle the battery is being draied at the same time!
just got my mates new optimate, disconnected the autcom...and bang.....it starts chraging properly (as we have a volt monitor attatched to it now)
as soon as you turned onthe ignition.....there was a slight fliker in the lcd display.....but as the battery was not charging above 12volt, the bike is never gona start up......
even though the bike never started,.,...if i connected the autcom back up the way it was...you could still talk bike to bike if you wanted and listen to music even though the keys are sitting in the house!

so....would i be wrong in chasing up west coast and demend they give me a new optimate and £35 pund off my next service as i had to buy a new battery as well!

:twisted: DBK :twisted:

independentphoto
22-02-06, 06:05 PM
I still think you're barking up the wrong tree with the autocom mate. But I do stand ready to be corrected / proven wrong. The load from one of those is very low and like I said on the other thread, as long as you disconnect the headsets, the unit will switch itself off.

Good luck with it though. Oh and just for the record, I have nothing to do with West Coast (or Autocom).

Cheers,
Garry

DaBlackKnight
23-02-06, 08:37 AM
I still think you're barking up the wrong tree with the autocom mate. But I do stand ready to be corrected / proven wrong. The load from one of those is very low and like I said on the other thread, as long as you disconnect the headsets, the unit will switch itself off.

Good luck with it though. Oh and just for the record, I have nothing to do with West Coast (or Autocom).

Cheers,
Garry

lol...
bike still will not start....
the new optimate has re-charged the new battery.....now getting a green light on the GOOD.......its holding a charge at 13.5 volts......but as soon as you disconnect the optimate......the battery loses 0.01 volts every 3 seconds.....is this common?

already talked to autocom and another suzuki dealership and they confirmed that an autocom will drain a battery dead even if an optimate is running on the battery if the autocom was wirred up directly to the battery,,,,,,...you are fine if you are using your bike daily and the bike does not sit dorment for more than a 2 weeks...anymore than that and you are out of luck.....

so now that the battery has a GOOD charge and when you connect the autocom unit up you can listen to music in your helmet via the autocom....even though the key is not in the ignition.....that proves the battery is fine would it not?

all fuses check out as well.....

got west coast suzuki yesterday and the mamanbger is giving me a call today to discuss a resolution!
My resolution is..they come get the bike......fix it for free....wire up the autcom directly for free.....service the bike taking off the £40 i paid for a new battery......and giving me a free optimate!
after that its gona be a long call to suzuki HQ down douth!

once the bikes sorted...its bye bye mr sv and hello mr cbr600f

independentphoto
23-02-06, 11:53 PM
Good to hear that you're getting somewhere on this one now. Hope they sort it all out.

Garry

setanta
24-02-06, 12:02 AM
When did you buy the new battery :?: :?:

DaBlackKnight
24-02-06, 08:48 AM
When did you buy the new battery :?: :?:

3 days ago...
new battery is 100% ok...
optimate has a GREEN light on GOOD charge....and its holding a rest charge of 12.65 to 12.90 volts.....

could be the start relay thats gone...as the fuses all check out....
or the ignition.....

just find it hard to believe that when the bike was in getting repaired with the last issue with the igintion or the part the was nackered and was not covered by warranty, that
A - they never discovered the autcom was wired up incorrectly.
B - they said they checked everything else as everything was fine

so if its the same "thing" thats gone again they will be putting every little thinng thats wrong under the warranty as i am putting zero pence to tget the bike fixed as the whole thing as stemmed from them installing the autocom the wronf way!

the guy on he phone down there had a cheeck to say that it would be a £40 charge to come collect bike.....i just returned with....you can collect the bike, but i am not paying for anything this time...