View Full Version : South & West Tour 17th/18th May 2006

Stingo
24-02-06, 10:10 PM
So here's the deal:
In aid of the
ARTHRITIS RESEARCH CAMPAIGN

MOTORCYCLE TOUR 2006

HMS RALEIGH (Torpoint) TO HMS RALEIGH VIA ‘ARTHRITIS’
It is intended to undertake a two day tour, on motorcycles, of various towns in the south & west of England, the initial letters of which spell the word ARTHRITIS.

The towns are:
Andover
Reading
Thame
Hereford
Ross-On-Wye
Inglesbatch (nr Bath)
Trowbridge
Instow (nr Bideford)
Saltash

It is also intended to start and complete the tour at HMS Raleigh, Torpoint. The total round trip mileage is 612.55 (theaa.com). On reaching Hereford, 335.34 miles will have been completed taking 8hrs and 15 minutes plus time for breaks/fuel etc.
The second part covers 277.55 miles taking 8hrs and 18 minutes according to AA route planner plus time for breaks, fuel etc.
Total journey time will be over 16 hours. Having done a calculation on GPS, the second day should be substantially quicker than the first.

Suggested pit stops are:
Macdonalds A303 - refuel
Photostop at Andover
Photostop at Reading
Photostop at Thame, refuel and await stragglers.
Witney area (A40) – leg stretch.
Hereford – suitable accom/refuel etc – overnight stay.
Photostop at Ross-on-Wye
Photostop at Inglesbatch
Photostop at Trowbridge and refuel
Photostop at Instow
Photostop at Saltash and refuel if required.

Distances (in miles) are as follows:
FROM TO DISTANCE
HMS Raleigh Andover via ‘Tamar Bridge’ 166.03
Andover Reading 47.92
Reading Thame 29.11
Thame Hereford 92.28
Hereford Ross-on-Wye 15.38
Ross-on-Wye Inglesbatch 56.49
Inglesbatch Trowbridge 13.9
Trowbridge Instow 114.22
Instow Saltash 61.36
Saltash HMS Raleigh 15.86

Although The AA quote the two halves of the tour as taking eight hours per half, this is of course only a guide. Generally speaking, motorcycles are able to proceed quicker than cars, particularly through built up areas, up hill etc. Having said that, I have not factored in the stops for fuel/photos etc. So, allowing ten minutes per photo stop and about thirty minutes for fuel/leg stretch, stops will probably add just over an hour to each of the two halves of the tour. Of course this is only a guide – I think the thing to bear in mind is that if we are ahead of time, then fine but we may need to wait for others to join the group. If we are running late, then we must exercise caution and not get carried away into trying to regain lost time. Incidentally, all figures quoted for distance and time (with the exception of the stops/rests) are courtesy of theaa.com route planner.

With regards to cost – individuals are responsible for costs of fuel, accomodation, food, drink etc. Breakdown services will also be the responsibility of the individual – the idea is to raise money for a charity whilst blowing out a few cobwebs from the bikes!!

See my webpage for donations:
www.justgiving.com/stingo

Anyway look, the dates are set as 17th/18th May - I have good reason to do this thing during the week rather than at the weekend. I realise that the vast majority will be unable to join in but it would be great to see anybody at any part for any length of time. PM me if you want my mobile number to establish where I'll be - hopefully get on the road by 9am Wednesday. There could be some peeps coming along from the GSER's (such large beasts!)

Hopefully, local radio will be updating the various areas as we pass thru'.

If you want the full route - PM me and I'll email it and any other info you require.

Stingo
01-03-06, 08:54 PM
This is now fixed for 17th/18th May 2006. We will leave Torpoint around 9am on the Wednesday. The finalised route will be available shortly - it won't be much different from what the AA suggest. I think we'll be stopping in the Travel Lodge in Hereford on the 17th. You'll be able to recognise us as we'll be the ones sleeping in the corner of the bar area! :lol:

Stingo
15-05-06, 11:56 AM
*Shameless Bump*

I know it's a pain :roll: but it's all for charity - sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/stingo

:smt080 you just know it makes sense!!