PDA

View Full Version : The Racing Thread - THIS THREAD CONTAINS RESULT INFO

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Jelster
25-02-06, 11:39 AM
Right then boys & girls, here is our very own thread to discuss this years racing (seeing as today see's the kick off of the 2006 season).

So, discuss anything about professional racing on 2 wheels. This thread will be policed regularly as we don't want it to get filled with all sorts of "off topic" conversation.

Let's have a good 2006 season, with lots to look forward too.

Discuss/

Jelster
25-02-06, 12:10 PM
OK, I'll open.....

Without giving too much away, what a fantastic race to open the season with, so many surprises and the fact that the R1, FireBlade, 999 and GSXR all look so competitive. Got to be great for the sport. Let's hope the Kwack & Foggy teams get up their as well.

ps - who's Chris Vermulen ?

mattSV
25-02-06, 01:14 PM
WSB Round 1, Race 2

:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMFG

What a race.

Not sure if is repeated - if you get the chance, do not miss it.

Scoobs
25-02-06, 02:00 PM
WSB Round 1, Race 2

What channel was it on??? Can't see naff all about it. :(

mattSV
25-02-06, 02:12 PM
Eurosport 2 :wink:

Don't think it is on terresticle :cry:

Repeated at 4:30 if you wanna come over & watch it.

Scoobs
25-02-06, 02:37 PM
Repeated at 4:30 if you wanna come over & watch it.

Would do but I can't ride at the mo'. Bad neck! Can't move. You could always record it and e-mail it to me! :lol:

Topcat
25-02-06, 06:38 PM
The new season has started , so all is right with the world again :D , and what a start . More that please gentlemen :thumbsup: . On the evidence of today we are in for a belting season in WSB , i think the superbikes ,both WSB and BSB could well be more interestering than Moto GP (or the Rossi championship as its known ) , certainly more different manufacturer's going for a share of the spoils . Let's face it , in Moto GP it's between Yamaha and Honda end of story . Sorry Peter Henry but as much i'd love to see Ducatti doing well , i can't see them sustaining a challenge , certainly they will have there good days with Bridgestone , but a few swallows dosn't make a summer .

tricky
25-02-06, 08:09 PM
Repeated on Eurosport 1 at 21:30 on monday for any one that missed it or doesn't have Eurosport 2.

This is from the schedule on the Eurosort website which is not always entierly reliable.

Cloggsy
25-02-06, 08:28 PM
This is from the schedule on the Eurosort website which is not always entierly reliable.

That is the biggest underestimation I've ever heard...

cosmiccharlie
26-02-06, 09:15 AM

That is the biggest underestimation I've ever heard...

True there about being unreliable ,

But now got a reason to get some video tapes :riding: :riding: :riding: :lol:

Warren
26-02-06, 11:55 AM
suprised mr henry hasnt posted in this thread yet. i expected him to move in here.

Cloggsy
26-02-06, 07:45 PM

I've just got Sky+ and its awesome... No more tapes - EVER :twisted:

Think I might have to invest in a DVD recorder for my tele though, to keep stuff off of my sky+ :D

Peter Henry
26-02-06, 11:27 PM
Well folks this is a great move! Our own little den to shoot the breeze about racing. I thought I would let you guys carry in the boxes and arrange the furnishings before commencing in the chat!

WSB round 1? Absolutely brill and a bonus for me is that this year one of the main Spanish channels is covering them live...so it's a early/late sit up next saturday night to watch the Phillip Island races.

Topcat....I think we will be spoiled this year as both WSB and BSB will be extremely competitive and my hunch is that Rossi's party is well and truly over in Moto GP. I agree still a little work to be done by Bridgestone as it is they that are holding back the awesome GP6 at the moment. Trust me though the Boys from Bologna will be well in the running this season! :wink: 8)

Scooby Drew
27-02-06, 09:38 AM
I dinnae get any satellite coverage :(

jonboy
27-02-06, 09:44 AM

This also means that you don't have to put up with commercial breaks, channel idents and all the other total sh*te that happens every 30 seconds :evil: . I'm honestly thinking about just watching BBC2 and if it ain't on there I'm not going to bother.

cosmiccharlie
27-02-06, 12:43 PM

I've just got Sky+ and its awesome... No more tapes - EVER :twisted:

Think I might have to invest in a DVD recorder for my tele though, to keep stuff off of my sky+ :D

Bah humbug there is always one isnt there :lol:

Scooby Drew
27-02-06, 01:49 PM

This also means that you don't have to put up with commercial breaks, channel idents and all the other total sh*te that happens every 30 seconds :evil: . I'm honestly thinking about just watching BBC2 and if it ain't on there I'm not going to bother.

Unfortunately terrestrial aint doing it this year. There has been a lot of moaning about ITV having BSB this year but people forget that not everybody has SKY...

kinesin
27-02-06, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately terrestrial aint doing it this year. There has been a lot of moaning about ITV having BSB this year but people forget that not everybody has SKY...

Eurosport is available of Top-up-TV for £7.99/month via freeview, so that one way to get the races. I'm know that this weekend was on Eurosport 2, due to the olympics - but normally they will be on Eurosport1. Just grab a freeview box with a TUT slot. :D

Depending on how my homebrew PVR/freeview/eurosport box comes along. I'm planning on getting the races all online via bit-torrent.

Scoobs
27-02-06, 07:07 PM
I'm planning on getting the races all online via bit-torrent.

Well bloody hurry up then. I'm waiting! :lol:

kinesin
27-02-06, 07:15 PM
I'm planning on getting the races all online via bit-torrent.

Well bloody hurry up then. I'm waiting! :lol:

When I say all.. I mean the MotoGP - tho the WSB races were cracking!! :D

Lissa
27-02-06, 07:21 PM
Last year our friend watched all the racing online as we just pointed our webcam at the telly for him. :D

Sky is expensive, but it's worth £40 a month as far as I'm concerned, just to get all the racing coverage.

Peter Henry
28-02-06, 06:18 PM
Big boost today for the Suzuki Moto Gp team with a 2 year sponsorship deal being signed with Rizla. Just goes to show the popularity of spliffs around the world! :lol:

H62
28-02-06, 07:00 PM
Big boost today for the Suzuki Moto Gp team with a 2 year sponsorship deal being signed with Rizla. Just goes to show the popularity of spliffs around the world! :lol:

Peter

Will they be racing in the Rizla bule livery.

Topcat
28-02-06, 07:02 PM

But with the money coming this late in preseason , have their chances of success already gone up in a puff of smoke , or been dealt a blow :lol:

Biker Biggles
28-02-06, 07:30 PM
BONG!Went the Suzuki :lol:

Peter Henry
28-02-06, 07:42 PM
H62...Yes the livery is very similar to that of the BSB Rizla team. Looks rather fetching. :wink: 8)

No doubt this new move will be a drag on their finances? :?

Biker Biggles
28-02-06, 07:56 PM
I wonder what sort of pipe the bike will have on it?
The team will need thick skins to put up with the **** takes.Rolling starts anyone? :D :D :D

The Basket
28-02-06, 10:08 PM
Haga is a bit of a loon. A bit aggresive on the corners.

Hmmm...strange that Biaggi gets knocked for not trying and Haga gets knocked for trying too hard!!!

Always one to watch though.

tricky
28-02-06, 10:28 PM
Just watched the WSBK from the weekend, looks like its going to be a cracking season.
Suprised Lanzi didn't place better considering his strong showing at the end of last season.
Also not keen on the new Yamaha Italia livery. Mrs Tricky taped on a rather old video tape so quality wan't ace and I was struggling to tell the Yams from the Ducatis in some places .

spudnuts
03-03-06, 09:37 AM

Peter

Will they be racing in the Rizla bule livery.

Here ya go.

http://upload3.postimage.org/31296/rizlagp.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/31296/photo_hosting.html)

Can i just say what a Fandouble tastic idea, having a race chat section. bravo =D>

spudnuts

Peter Henry
03-03-06, 06:14 PM
Just a little question but is the Ducati Xerox decal scheme not just the prettiest out there?(Yeah,yeah of course I am biased!) :lol:

fizzwheel
03-03-06, 06:55 PM
Just a little question but is the Ducati Xerox decal scheme not just the prettiest out there?(Yeah,yeah of course I am biased!) :lol:

I think the Fila Ducati scheme from the year before was much nicer

Peter Henry
04-03-06, 07:47 AM
Yer man Troy Bayliss on the Ducati has kicked butt to take provision pole for the races! He was closely followed by Alex Barros which is a fantastic result for him at only his second WSB meet.

Live on Spanish TV so I think I will sit up and watch the action unfold. :lol:

The Basket
04-03-06, 08:47 AM
I think Alex Barros will do ok this year...depends if he can keep focus.

Carlos Checa is doing well...I said that Ducati should have kept him on...but he seems to be doing better without 'em. Had a top end of season last year and deserves his ride.

It is worring the Ellison isn't on the pace. 2 seconds behind Checa is a long time...lets hope he picks up a second or two. Pedrosa is also a bit below expectations...ah well...

John Hopkins is showing promise and both the Suzuki And Kawasaki look fast...even the Roberts team are flying...top racing.

kwak zzr
04-03-06, 10:45 AM
the two troys at philip island should be fun! i think corser still has the edge on the better bike.

Peter Henry
04-03-06, 01:16 PM
*coughs and splutters at kwak zzr's comment*

Corser on the better bike? Bah humbug! :P

Tell you what though Steve Martin who is one funny guy in his cheesey movies has done nothing short of miracles to get the Foggy Petronas on to the front of the grid! Brilliant. Three Ausies on the front row could lead to a touch of fairing bashing! Just hope Bayliss can sort his terrible off the mark starts out! :shock:

To quote the famous man himself when talking to Priscilla presly in one of his films..."Nice beaver!" :lol: :lol:

kwak zzr
04-03-06, 02:20 PM
is martin on the front row! :shock: well done that man! i like to see the FP1 with some kind of result. i'm watching superpole at 4 on eurosport.

kwak zzr
04-03-06, 02:21 PM
*Peter Henry* bayliss was well fast on the ducati in the corners on the last race all over the back of corser, he just looks like he needs 5 more horses on the straights.

tricky
04-03-06, 04:22 PM
To quote the famous man himself when talking to Priscilla presly in one of his films..."Nice beaver!" :lol: :lol:

Sorry to be pedadic but isn't that Leslie Nielsen in one of the naked gun movies.
I'm in a bad mood because Superpole is delayed on Eurosport because of the snooker, so I come on here to kill some time (not thinking) and find out whos on pole anyway !
:(

Plus is been a lovely sunny day and my bike is still brakeless !

Its just moan moan moan with some people isn't it :wink:

Peter Henry
04-03-06, 04:36 PM
Tricky...Of course it was.....I couldn't resist throwing it in anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And oh dang! Don't tell me that we also have to have a 24 hour blackout regarding qualifying matters also? :?

tricky
04-03-06, 04:52 PM
Tricky...Of course it was.....I couldn't resist throwing it in anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought as much ! :lol:

And oh dang! Don't tell me that we also have to have a 24 hour blackout regarding qualifying matters also? :?

I didn't think, should have known better :)
Bloody snooker is still only 3-3 in a best of 11 match :(
I like snooker but I really do need a bike "fix" today.

kwak zzr
04-03-06, 05:32 PM
i too are waiting for the bl@@dy snooker to finish :cry:

Peter Henry
04-03-06, 06:28 PM
Snooker interrupting bike coverage? :shock: Jeez if that happened here in Spain there would be riots! :lol: 8)

Kwak,,,,Possibly those couple of extra ponies that the Suzuki has could ultimately be it's undoiung come the races. Tyres are going to get eaten big time and possibly the harsher laying down of power from the big 4 cylinder could see Corser struggling more than Bayliss as the races reach their latter stages. :wink:

(Of course that could all be B.S. from me who obviously wants the Bologna Beauty to romp home in first!) :P

tricky
04-03-06, 07:24 PM
Worth the wait :D
Promises to be some good racing tommorow.
Anyone staying up to watch to live ?

Peter Henry
04-03-06, 08:09 PM
Tricky...Me.me.me! If I can prevent myself from behaving like a nodding dog I shall sit up and enjoy live. kicks off at 2.00am for me! :?

kwak zzr
04-03-06, 08:11 PM
1am british eurosport!! :D

Cloggsy
04-03-06, 08:20 PM
1am british eurosport!! :D

Sky+ :thumbsup:

tricky
04-03-06, 08:23 PM
Tricky...Me.me.me! If I can prevent myself from behaving like a nodding dog I shall sit up and enjoy live. kicks off at 2.00am for me! :?

I really really want to, but have a funny feeling I shall be a bit to drunk to enjoy it properly. :oops:
Plus I do get rather animated watching racing and tend to shout encouragement to the riders, which might not go down to well the neighbors at that time of the morning !

:D

busasean
05-03-06, 07:51 AM
just watched the wsb phillip island round! think its gonna be a good season! i would love to see toseland win just to stick two fingers up at ducati and david tardozi(?). i do rate lanzi but i had a smile when he crashed out of race two! come on toseland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwak zzr
05-03-06, 08:42 AM
tyres,tyres,tyres save those tyres.

Topcat
05-03-06, 09:30 AM
Well yet again , two blinding races ! :lol: This season is shaping up to be one of the best for for a while , certainly since the amazing Edwards / Bayliss battle of 2002 and THAT race at Imola :riding: :lol: =D> . I can feel a trip or two into Europe to catch the action coming on :shock: :lol: .

Lissa
05-03-06, 11:23 AM
Two absloutely stonking races.....................I was jumping out of my seat at the performance of my favourite nutter!

Topcat
05-03-06, 11:57 AM
Two absloutely stonking races.....................I was jumping out of my seat at the performance of my favourite nutter!

So your a Rueben Xaus fan then :shock: :lol: :lol:

Lissa
05-03-06, 12:06 PM

So your a Rueben Xaus fan then :shock: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:

Peter Henry
05-03-06, 12:09 PM
I keep telling myself that the sore and red eyes that I have today are well worth it! You know I think that is true as they really were 2 excellent races. :shock:

The Basket
05-03-06, 02:10 PM
Interesting testing in motogp.

Roberts and Ellison going well, though it was wet.

The Suzuki is flying, the fastest bike and Hopkins doing well.

The Dukes and Hondas look like having a quiet season.

Looks like Yamaha and Rossi again...plus Edwards and Checa.

tricky
05-03-06, 02:30 PM

Pleases to see Edwards going well, should give Rossi a bit more of a run for his money this year

timwilky
05-03-06, 02:55 PM

Looks like a few need a bit more cornering practice, Melandri, Rossi, KR Jnr and then Checka. Pity about KR it would have been nice to see him post a good time

Peter Henry
05-03-06, 04:49 PM
Basket......If anyone should be worried at the moment it is HRC. The reason being that Hayden just cannot ride the 2006 RCV anywhere near as hard as he could last year's bike. The smoke screen being issued by Honda is that the bike is packed with "potential" yet the season starts in just 3 weeks.

Ducati on the other hand have lots of power and handling but all of this needs a lot of setting up for each individual track. Sete Gibernau has been working hard with Bridgestone and Ducati's engine software boys to try to put together a consistant "base" package that would require less input per race weekend,thus allowing both himself and Loris more time to concentrate on doing fast lap times as opposed to constantly pit stopping for adjustments. Sounds a good policy to me.

Sete had announced that the trying to win the Z4 would actually be too much of a diversion from the job in hand and so he remains happy with the Beemer he won for being top average qualifying rider last season!

Poor old Loris is still suffering from a bout of the err sh*ts!

Yamaha look very,very strong though and the odd showing from both Suzuki and Kawsaki should not be ruled out this season. 8)

The Basket
05-03-06, 05:43 PM
An interesting approach Peter.

It follows therefore that the Duke boys will not be race ready from the first lap at Jerez. Playing catchup when the Yamahas, Kwaks and Suzukis...even the Roberts Team are full throttle is going to make it harder.

I'm sure Sete will be ready for his home GP though.

Peter Henry
05-03-06, 09:54 PM
Basket...Maybe I mislead you mate. they could set the Ducati up for jerez no problem and be competitive from the off. What they are trying to achieve is a base package that does not need a major overhaul from track to track as is common with all teams presently.

One thing is for sure, this is going to be one interesting season!

Tim....They all fell more or less at the same place which was under braking before entering the corner. Odd that so many should suffer the same fate at exactly the same spot? :?

Jelster
05-03-06, 11:16 PM
I sat and watched the WSB races today, and it really is an enetrtaining series.

I would just like to state that I have, on a number of occaisions, said "do not under estimate JT". He has really taken to the Honda and looks not only competitive, but seems to have a different sense of determination this year.

Corser, Baylis, Haga and Barros all look good as well, so it's not going to be the 1 horse race it was last year. I think one or two trips to European meetings is in order......

tricky
06-03-06, 09:30 AM
I would just like to state that I have, on a number of occaisions, said "do not under estimate JT". He has really taken to the Honda and looks not only competitive, but seems to have a different sense of determination this year.

I never been one to follow the paddock gossip or politics (I'm sure someone will set me straight if I'm talking ********) I always got the impression last year that as well as lacking confidence in the bike, there was a lot of friction between JT, Laconi and the team, plus the normal Ducati "must win or sleep with the fishes" pressure.

I delighted to see JT doing so well, we just need to get Stalker on the rostrum as well and I'll be \:D/

Well impressed with Barros as well so far, he's put in some cracking rides.

The Basket
06-03-06, 10:23 AM
Corser took a wallop...glad he got up though...good job too as he would have been squashed!!!

Don't mess with Barros...beat him in a race and he'll run you over.

Peter Henry
06-03-06, 10:23 AM
Tricky...You are correct.Unfortunately in a very "Italian" kind of way Ducati were a little p*ssed when Toseland actually won the title as he was in the team as a back up rider really! I think that was made too clear to him which was totally wrong. Based on Toseland's age they could have had someone that could have won many more titles for them.

Great to see him going well on the Honda. :wink:

Jelster
06-03-06, 10:25 AM
I think I'll frame that :shock:

Great to see him going well on the Honda.

tricky
06-03-06, 10:29 AM
Come to think of it I remember watching on telly when JT won the title and thinking how the team where rather subdued, rather than going bonkers like you'd expect.

Cloggsy
06-03-06, 10:32 AM
Come to think of it I remember watching on telly when JT won the title and thinking how the team where rather subdued, rather than going bonkers like you'd expect.

He is a Yorkshireman... We never get overly excited about anything :roll:

"It only the bloody world title lad, when I were a lad I won 15 world titles standin' ont' 'ead :roll:"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Basket
06-03-06, 10:35 AM
Have to say that both WSB rounds were some of the best 2 wheeled racing I've seen.

I just hope Troy Bayliss doesn't run away with it which does seem likely...The depth of the field in WSB is amazing...when Chris Walker comes tenth then you know that there are racing to be had.

Top stuff.

In MotoGP, Edwards and Rossi look very calm and relaxed...happy...Hmmm

Jelster
06-03-06, 10:37 AM

I was at Magny Cors that year, and the British contingent went mad, but you could see that the team boss wasn't happy. They never thought it would happen, JT was 5 points adrift and up against a Frenchman, in France, who had the Managers full support. Well done JT I say..... He should have walked then.

And where's Laconi now ? (oh and while I think of it), what about Ducati's "great white hope" Lanzi.... Lanzi who ?

C'mon JT, stick it to them...

kwak zzr
06-03-06, 07:44 PM
its always good to see the union jack flying above the podium "well done jt"

tricky
09-03-06, 10:47 AM
Watched the last World Suberbike rounds again on TV last night as there was nowt else on. I actually enjoyed as much as the first time even though I knew what was going to happen.

One thing I did notice was how sombre and dull the Japanese national anthem is, thats why I like to see the Ducatis win once in while, cos you get a good lively tune on the rostrum :wink: :D

PeterM
11-03-06, 01:11 AM
Well boys and girls I was fortunate to be at Phillip Island for the weekend and it was bloody marvellous.

TB just took off in that first race, pity the tyres didn't hold up but he smashed that lap record that had stood for so long. The last race was a more calculated effort, you could see JT getting anxious and spinning up the rear regularly while TB was just smoothly following him around.

TC was so lucky with his off, nice shoulder roll to get off the track too.

It's going to be quite a season folks. :D

Peter Henry
11-03-06, 10:16 PM
PeterM....What is Phillip Island like as a spectator track? I know all of the riders love it but just wondered what it was like for the track side public? Are there places where you can get a pretty much all around view ? Or is it more just sections of the track you would see from any vantage point?

PeterM
13-03-06, 01:41 AM
I tend to sit near turn one. From there you can see the last bit of the straight, the start of turn one, the run into the fast turn 4 & Honda hairpin, round Siberia and the run up to the Hayshed. You then lose the bikes until they crest over Lukey Heights & run down to MG corner.

The good thing is that large screens get placed around the track so you can see what's happening out of your vision. The track is pretty undulating in some places, but not as bad as some. A great track to ride, certainly, and pretty good to view at.

kwak zzr
16-03-06, 06:03 PM
peter henry this might be your year, just finished reading mcn and the ducati boys seem happy with the package this year, they may just lauch a surprise attack while the yamahas are complaining about chatter and the hondas well :roll: cant do anything with the 06 bike.

kwak zzr
16-03-06, 06:07 PM
what do you all think about bayliss complaining about the lack of power? he has new lap records, race wins and is leading the championship? should ducati be allowed to run a 1200cc version? for years WSB were running 750 IL4s while ducati had it all there own way running the 996 they wasnt complaining then when the series was dominated buy duc's.

Peter Henry
16-03-06, 06:18 PM
Kwak,

All very interesting isn't it? I have just finished reading the 134 page Moto GP guide provided in Motociclismo magazine here which was crammed with excellent info.

But oddly this led me to go and dig out last year's version also. Guess what? After Jerez pre season last year...Rossi was not at all happy with the Yamaha! The Honda boys too were doing plenty of grumbling!

Therefore much as I would love those Bologna Beauties to win lots of races,(I am convinced they can win several) Yamaha is still the machine to beat and with an unbelievable main rider.

However if studied carefully, each race should prove enthralling with other riders playing a lot more than bit parts this year. I am very excited and can't wait to jump on the bike to head over there next friday morning!

Some interesting snippets for you:

Did you know that HRC never wanted Nicky Hayden? They took him purely to appease America Honda who felt they needed a home boy in the Moto GP category.

The V4 Suzuki is a massive 20bhp down on both the Yamaha,Honda and Ducati!

With a quickly designed and crafted frame for their RCV the Proton team could provide egg on faces for some of the other teams. This is the first time the team has had a competitive motor and even Honda are said to be impressed with the KR team's frame design!

Just a week away and although the best performer in pre season for Honda, Dani Pedrosa has still not simulated a full race distance. He also is still not comfortable with both the handle bar settings or foot rests.

The GP6 Ducati has shed 4kg for this season, the frame has been stiffened to aid curve stability at the loss of some straight line speed. They have also worked big time to reduce engine friction in order to get more of the generated power on the track.

Did you know that Kawasaki's long term plan was always to have a competitive bike for the 2006 season? They look on target at the moment! :wink:

kwak zzr
16-03-06, 06:25 PM
rossi is going to be hard to beat evan with square wheels! but the ducati boys will be there this year and if sete can keep a cool head who knows.

kwak zzr
16-03-06, 06:37 PM
i hope the KR team do well this year, they need some good luck.

Peter Henry
16-03-06, 07:06 PM
Kwak,

A conversation I was having with my son earlier involved the possibility of Sete changing his normal game plan? As you know he likes to charge to the front and try to win that way. But surely it must be easier stalking someone like Rossi does?

Has Sete got the cojones to play with Valentino's head a little bit and to trail him with a view to making that last corner attack? :wink:

rigor
16-03-06, 07:13 PM
Problem with that plan of attack is that you have to have the absolute confidence that you can pass the guy ahead in the last corner, or pass him and leave him behind. This seemed to be what Rossi had in spades last year, he seemed to know exactly how much faster he was than the guy ahead and whether it needed to be a last corner dive, or couple of laps out and disappear.

However, confidence is a funny thing, it can vanish and reappear in the blink of an eye. Which is why racing is so much fun :D

kwak zzr
16-03-06, 07:24 PM
i dont think sete's up to that job :? rossi likes playing with the minds of others.
which brings me to the back page of this weeks MCN rossi is saying that they are in big trouble with chatter problems, are the camel yamaha team playing with the other teams and playing a bluff? rossi is known for it. :?

Peter Henry
16-03-06, 11:27 PM
kwak...Rossi is already playing it on the Honda front. He has heaped loads of pressure onto Nicky Hayden by simply answering this question..."Who is your biggest challenger?" Valentino cited Melandri! Now that must have come like a kick to the wotsits of Hayden,after all he is the lead rider on the works Honda! He also knows that HRC are waiting for him to deliver big time,or frankly he will be off to ride a Fireblade with Barros next season! (And that aint a good career move...just ask Jelster! :P )

How will Nicky react to that?
To further comment on race game plan,I really do think you are in a mucher stronger position if you are a close second in the final stages of a race. You can gauge what your options of a pass may be. The poor guy in front is always left guessing when and where the attack will come.

If Sete can add that to his armoury the Ducati's really will be challenging this season. :wink:

kwak zzr
17-03-06, 02:54 PM
wish i could be in valencia with ya arr kid next weekend. :( ive got my tv! :D
back to barros, hes going to be winning races this year on that blade,hes quick and up for a fight! to be honest he deserves some podiums now hes been in it so long without many rewards.

Peter Henry
17-03-06, 03:10 PM
*pssst* Kwak....It's at Jerez mate. :wink: Valencia is the last one of the season. :P

The Basket
17-03-06, 06:38 PM
Rossi in trouble? Nah...only for the cameras.

Honda in trouble...I wonder if they have gone 2007 800cc already and washed thier hands of the 06 season. No point building new if it's in a museum next year.

Ducati strong...I am a bit miffed if WSB allow bigger V-twins...It looks like Bayliss is doing ok with the litre...

IMHO...WSB should be a 1000cc run wot ya brung class and if the 4's are faster than the twins, then Ducati will have to do a V4 like in MotoGP. Shouldn't change to suit a particular maker.

kwak zzr
17-03-06, 07:07 PM
*pssst* Kwak....It's at Jerez mate. :wink: Valencia is the last one of the season. :P

well i knew it was spain somewhere. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Peter Henry
17-03-06, 10:12 PM
Basket...I think you need to take a look at the machines that are represented in WSB now! Err like R1,Gsx1000.ZX10,Fireblade and 999 all among the main runners. Do you see a common thread anywhere? oops yes they are all 1000cc motors!

The days when a different engine configuration,(e.g. V Twin) was allowed to have a larger engine capacity are over. This rule when in place was not soley to assist Ducati but any manufacturer that wished to run a V twin motor. You do remember Colin Edward's exploits on the Honda don't you? :wink:

Plus dont you go forgetting now who are presently the champs? Yes Suzuki! :P

Biker Biggles
17-03-06, 10:21 PM
Ducati are asking for the limit to be raised to 1200 for twins in WSB.This is because they are having to spend vast amounts to get the power out of their motor compared to the fours and is the same reasoning that used to prevail when the fours were only 750s.Are they currently allowed to tune the twins more than the fours,hence the high cost?

kwak zzr
17-03-06, 11:04 PM
ducati have broken lap records! won race's and are winning the championship!
and are still moaning about a lack in power? :? they was'nt moaning 5 years ago when it was all in there favor and they was winning everything was they :wink:

Peter Henry
17-03-06, 11:41 PM
Ah come on fellas you know how those Italian boys are! Basket mentioned perhaps Ducati might bring a V4 along to the party? Well that might not be as mad as it sounds as next year the limited edition desmosedici is released to a small number of lucky b*stards.
When the real world version comes in to production...that could be my last sporty type bike before I then opt for something more sensible like a Fireblade.

(oh,oh just wait until Jelster reads that!) :P :P

The Basket
18-03-06, 12:16 AM
Basket mentioned perhaps Ducati might bring a V4 along to the party? Well that might not be as mad as it sounds as next :P :P

Me? Mad? :? :-dd :D

Yes...I remember the Honda SP1. The reason Honda did a V-twin was a classic case of if you can't beat them, join them. The RC45 was a beautiful sports machine but the Ducati's cc advantage was too much. Hence the copy.

There is a move or a whisper to the 1200cc V-twin...which I hope is stopped. I don't know if Ducati are bringing out a V4 sports bike based on the MotoGP bike. Italians and planning... :shock: But this could be the basis of the new WSB bike.

I wonder if they could enter the MotoGP bike into WSB and say it's a road bike :D

Now that would be unfair :D

Supervox
18-03-06, 12:36 AM
I wish I could say that I don't believe that Flammini would be stupid enough to change the rules to allow DUCATI to run 1200cc V Twins.

I wish I could say that . . .

. . . but I can't !!

He probably will make this move and the following will occur :-

(1) Ducati (& possibly Aprillia if they return) will have a definite edge over the Japanese opposition.

(2) The Japanese manufacturers will get the hump again & eventually pull all factory support - leaving only mildly supported privateer teams.

(3) WSB will deteriorate into the Ducati Cup farce that it became in 2003 & 2004

For CHRIST'S SAKE - just as the series has regained serious credibility with all marques (except possibly FP !!) able to make a respectable showing - this pillock is considering chucking it all away !!

Personally, I would like to see one of the follwoing scenarios :-

(a) Manufacturers told - It's up to you what you put on the grid - no rules EXCEPT that it must be a homologated as a road bike. No other restrictions whatsoever.

(b) Manufacturers told - All bikes must be no more than ????cc, engine configuration is up to you - the only restriction being as above - homologated as a road bike.

kwak zzr
18-03-06, 08:53 AM
agreed!!

Peter Henry
18-03-06, 08:59 AM
I totally agree with you Supervox, there has to be a level playing field as to all but those directly involved in a team can only feel shallow victory. Personally I do not think there is a whole lot wrong with how things are at the moment and some great racing ahead this season I reckon.

p.s. I think there is every chance of an Aprilia return to the scene next year...Moto GP also. Rumour has it that their motor will be V4.....could tempt me not to wait for the Ducati one! :wink:

Details of the exclusive new V4 Ducati can be found here:

http://www.ducati.com/desmosedici/ 8)

Supervox
18-03-06, 09:55 AM
I should have added a 3rd scenario (as prompted by Peter H) :-

(c) LEAVE THINGS ALONE - IT WORKS AS IT IS NOW !!

If Ducati feel that they are at the end of the 999's useful life as a race machine then the answer is simple . . .

. . . build another bike or leave WSB :P

Granted, WSB wouldn't be the same without them . . .

. . . on the plus side - no more bl**dy whinging about this not being fair & that not being fair etc . . .

. . . on the minus side - V Twins (as we all know) do sound WONDERFUL !!

:D :D

fizzwheel
18-03-06, 10:07 AM
I dont see why Ducati are making all this fuss its not as though the 999 is out paced at the moment. Especially with Bayliss ragging the hell out of it.

I think its more down to cost, the 999 engine I believe is now in such a high state of tune it doesnt do many miles before it needs a rebuild, whereas the fours because they are in a lower state of tune go for ages without needing a rebuild.

However Honda with the SP2 proved you can build a twin in a high state of tune and have a big interval between rebuild.

I think Supervox's idea of the engine capacity limit is xxxx and you can do what you like, however more cylinders carry a weight penalty and you must be able to buy what you race in your local dealer.

I think that would work

PeterM
19-03-06, 05:44 AM
Notice the grid is almost bereft of privateer Ducatis now? The factory are the only ones that can afford to keep them at the high state of tune to be putting out competetive hp compared to the 4s.

Perhaps an increase to 1100cc would be fair, looking at costs for maintaining a high state of tune. The 999 is about 10hp down on most of the 4s, who'd have thought they'd see the day a factory Ducati would have huge difficulties getting a pass on a straight, even with drafting. Up the triple to 1050 (God knows FP needs all the help they can get).

Either that or maybe introduce a power to weight ratio rule. Wouldn't that be interesting??

Supervox
19-03-06, 09:09 AM
Notice the grid is almost bereft of privateer Ducatis now? The factory are the only ones that can afford to keep them at the high state of tune to be putting out competetive hp compared to the 4s.

So what ? My answer is as stated above - build another bike !! :P

Perhaps an increase to 1100cc would be fair, looking at costs for maintaining a high state of tune. The 999 is about 10hp down on most of the 4s, who'd have thought they'd see the day a factory Ducati would have huge difficulties getting a pass on a straight, even with drafting. Up the triple to 1050 (God knows FP needs all the help they can get).

If an I4 is the most practical for speed/cost of development/power etc, then why don't FP & Ducati prodice one ? No-one has ever held a gun to their heads & said "you WILL race an V-Twin" !!

Either that or maybe introduce a power to weight ratio rule. Wouldn't that be interesting??

It would be interesting but just about impossible to regulate - for a start teams would HAVE to declare their engine's BHP (I can really see them wanting to do that !!) - then each engine would have to be verified on a dyno before each qualifying session & race cos I imagine it would be rather easy to put in some electronic 'limiter' prior to checking only to remove it on the start line with a laptop (as per Ducati's 'engine cut-out switch' farce back when Bayliss dropped it 3 times & the engine still kept running !!)*

* allegedly !!!!!