PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Local Roads

Demonz
26-02-06, 06:07 PM
Just thought I'd ask what your favourite roads were around your area when you want to go for a short ride?? I havent found too many great runs being new to the area but a couple of my favs now are:

Virginia Water - Chertsey - Chobham around Foxhills/Stonehill area.

And for twisties it would have to be the roads past Deepcut bridge - B3012 and then around to Mytchett - although its not a long run its lotsa fun.

Last Action Pimp
26-02-06, 06:24 PM
i have loads of routes for when i go for a potter

start off in chertsey, past thorpe park, to staines through staines towards ashford (via giffords - bike shop) then down towards the A316 doing a right to go to Jack lillys. then past charlton village (and my old house) do a right a go past the tip, towards walton, weighbride via very bumpy rd. addlestone > home.

but i also love the A25 from newlands to boxhill, :twisted:

Demonz
26-02-06, 06:47 PM
i have loads of routes for when i go for a potter

start off in chertsey, past thorpe park, to staines through staines towards ashford (via giffords - bike shop) then down towards the A316 doing a right to go to Jack lillys. then past charlton village (and my old house) do a right a go past the tip, towards walton, weighbride via very bumpy rd. addlestone > home.

but i also love the A25 from newlands to boxhill, :twisted:

The one along the river right? :lol:

Last Action Pimp
26-02-06, 07:00 PM
yeah, 70 is fun down that road,

sorry did i say 70 i mean 40

$i
27-02-06, 04:36 AM
1.) Aldershot to pirbright. theres 2 nice different twisties.
2.) A339 - Alton to basingstoke. not as good as it used 2 be :cry:
3.) A4's pretty good all the way 2 bristol. National speed limit i.e 100+mph :roll: (wide road)
4.) a319 i think from m25 through chobham till it meets the a322

a272 if i fancy a long ride :lol:

Demonz
27-02-06, 08:30 AM
3.) A4's pretty good all the way 2 bristol. National speed limit i.e 100+mph :roll: (wide road)

My favs too. These must be the only twisties in the area.

$i
27-02-06, 05:43 PM

Definately, one of the roads has been chewed up over christmas though :cry: . was jus laid last year and was so smooth. shame i spent 70% of last summer bikeless :evil: *****ed*.

Scoobs
27-02-06, 06:09 PM

Used to ride that road every day to work. It is good fun, but I saw at least one accident a week on it. Once it was shut because a glider had crashed on it.

Oh yes! :twisted:

It's a shame you're not allowed to go more than 60 on those roads. :roll:

mattSV
27-02-06, 06:15 PM
If you are up around Basingstoke, then have a trip to Kingsclere, down to Overton, west to Whitchurch and back up to Kingsclere - some cracking roads there.

A32 is always good for a laugh as well.

Who says all the best roads are up north :wink:

Demonz
27-02-06, 07:51 PM

Definately, one of the roads has been chewed up over christmas though :cry: . was jus laid last year and was so smooth. shame i spent 70% of last summer bikeless :evil: *p*ssed*.

I saw that over the weekend - lots of loose gravel in the centre strip is a shame. Amazing what a few months make.

$i
27-02-06, 10:04 PM
Si, which one? The one which goes under the bridge which you don't have to take the left turning or the one where you take the left turning before the bridge? One has a lovely blind crest for wheelying over :twisted:

U ANIMAL :twisted:

The bettter one where you take the left and go up the hill before the bridge. Middle of the road has kinda erupted and theres sh*t loads of gravel. :cry: . deadly on the corners.

*ditto* :oops:

DanAbnormal
01-03-06, 04:07 PM
I always enjoy the A30 from Camberley to Hartley Witney and also to Basingstoke. Also the A331 from here to the Alton Cafe is pretty splendid although a little scary when you get air on a bend doing....er....70. Ahem.

Dan

DanAbnormal
05-03-06, 10:43 PM
Oooh found a really nice road to play on. The road from Basingstoke to Alton and past odiham RAF base (A33_ something). Wow. Went with a mate who is an instructor and own a Blackbird as his 'fun' bike. Needless to say that I found it very hard to keep up, moreso as I'm still running my 650s in!

Still, amazing road.

$i
06-03-06, 06:51 AM
Oooh found a really nice road to play on. The road from Basingstoke to Alton and past odiham RAF base (A33_ something). Wow. Went with a mate who is an instructor and own a Blackbird as his 'fun' bike. Needless to say that I found it very hard to keep up, moreso as I'm still running my 650s in!

Still, amazing road.

:lol:

:thumbsup: :wink:

trickywoos
06-03-06, 06:48 PM
Pirbright bends for sure.

I used to love the road from Bentley, through Lower & Upper Froyle to get to Lasham, and then from Lasham through the country bends to the M3! It goes over the A339. Used to be top roads, but the surface just deteriorated over the winter last year and they didn't re-surface.

A272 Meon Valley, not bad, but too many plod now.

madmalc
13-04-06, 10:02 PM
The road from odiham to alton is great and then onto the A339 to basngstoke, just keep an eye out for the plod hiding out along the A339.

robz400
24-05-06, 08:17 PM
You seen the mess they've made of the pirbright bends!! Loose gravel all over it no road markings.

How long do you recken before the surface becomes fun again?

trickywoos
24-05-06, 08:40 PM
Haven't been down there for a while, so we gonna take our brooms down there?!?!!??

robz400
24-05-06, 09:33 PM
lol!

Thats a good idea... I went down there about 2 weeks ago and turned around just after the bridge as they'd just done it.

Had another look today and it's better as long as you stay in one of the two foot wide tyre track areas!!

Nightmare :x

Fizzy Fish
25-05-06, 05:53 AM
yeah, such a shame about that road - and why? it was great before! hmm, maybe it was that resident who didn't like bikes riding past because he lets his kids play in the road :?: :lol:

seriously though it nearly caught Etienne out bigtime when they were doing it - he came over a rise to see the road suddenly covered in gravel and a bend coming up - agghh! :shock:

trickywoos
07-06-06, 09:53 PM
Has anyone been down the bends over the past week, is it still bad?

Demonz
07-06-06, 11:03 PM
Went down last night - still rubbish, no markings and gravel on the road still so i wasnt giving it some. Take the turn by the railway bridge up that road back to Frimley Road - this one is pretty cool! Watch out for cyclists (cars in middle of the road) and horses! Just added an edit to the sticky on roads above - anyone else have some they can add??

$i
08-06-06, 06:01 AM
yeah, there relaying the road that goes under the bridge. if they do a job as good as they did the other road its going to be wickd for the whole of 2 minutes :evil: .

Demonz
08-06-06, 05:08 PM
It must be coming upto budget time for them all - there is a heck of a lot of resurfaced roads around my way at the moment... the annoying thing is our roads around our house/street are crap but they go and reseal the road through the green which had nothing wrong with it??? same with down virginia water way?? must be someones 10 year maintentance plan.

Law
10-06-06, 08:49 PM
Anyone gone down the B2130 from Godalming to Cranleigh?

Apparently it's one of the top 10 twistiest roads on this webpage (http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/tttwistiestfeb06/) I found.

rictus01
10-06-06, 10:06 PM
I done Longmore Lane in to Coldharbour Lane today, first time in about 5-6 years, it's more "green lane" than road now, 35 mph, and I though I was going to die at least twice, so I did it again three times 8)

Give me a shout, and I'll show just what I mean.

Cheers Mark.

rictus01
10-06-06, 10:07 PM

Apparently it's one of the top 10 twistiest roads on this webpage (http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/tttwistiestfeb06/) I found.

Yes done that after Longmore, good but not life threatening.

Cheers Mark.

trickywoos
19-06-06, 09:17 PM
Went down last night - still rubbish, no markings and gravel on the road still so i wasnt giving it some. Take the turn by the railway bridge up that road back to Frimley Road - this one is pretty cool! Watch out for cyclists (cars in middle of the road) and horses! Just added an edit to the sticky on roads above - anyone else have some they can add??
Went down the bit through Deepcut (is it deepcut?) on Saturday, still love that bit! There's now lines on the first bit, but still gravelly, and think they're closing a bit of the road this week or next.......

jamieo
23-06-06, 02:05 PM

Not been down that road for years - yes it is excellent, but only driven it in a car. maybe I'll pop down this weekend to check it out.

Can start in Guildford, ride down to Godalming, then across to Oxted and the A24, up to Box Hill then across to Newlands corner... Should be a nice ride.

J

jamieo
23-06-06, 02:07 PM

Not been down that road for years - yes it is excellent, but only driven it in a car. maybe I'll pop down this weekend to check it out.

Can start in Guildford, ride down to Godalming, then across to Oxted and the A24, up to Box Hill then across to Newlands corner... Should be a nice ride.

J

Oxted - I mean Ockley...