PDA

View Full Version : Bike show

kazglasgow
12-03-06, 10:06 AM
Hello folks,

Used to spend all day at show, yesterday 3hrs tops.

Trick yellow Z1000 with the quad lasers and led intergrated indicators , floated my boat and the MT01 with about £4grand worth of extras (infact, all of them :lol: ) also was worth close inspection. It was chained off and it was the only one at show! :evil: That new BMW1200 is a cracker, but not at £9000 and with a bendy plastic tank cover. Not as big and flash as NEC, as we went this year so a wee bit spoiled maybe, but more Italian metal at our one. RSV mille 8) , Guzzi Griso 8) , SVX supamoto n'that,n'that no? :)

Got an Arai AstroR Walker - £320 at Cissbury Leathers. £80 quid off :)
Was looking for shocks for the gsx but all £600+ no deals. :(

Anywayz, I usually always go on a sunday, but as i was working today we went Saturday. Thank feck, as it has come across the radio the show is cancelled today, as i Colin McRae'd it into work this morn. (nabbed her car :wink: , whit a lightweight eh? :lol: )

Andy

(sorry IndependentP. i musta hit Topic instead reply) :oops: :cry:

northwind
12-03-06, 02:12 PM
Totally cancelled? Glad I didn't dig the bike out...

Cumfy
13-03-06, 10:50 AM
We went down to the disappointment :cry: :cry:

independentphoto
13-03-06, 05:16 PM
Whit a disaster!

Can't work out the logic here. Most attendees would have been going to the retain side of things, so why close that - especially since the fitba managed to stay on course with HOW MANY travelling ticket holders?

I somehow reckon that the (southern) retailers all started to panic about not getting home and kicked up. Thing is, with all the gear already on display in the hall and no doubt a few folk looking to return on Sunday to buy the goodies spotted on Saturday, they all ran away from perfectly good sales. Surely in the event of road closures or whatever, it would be better to have taken some money, collected a few new (and potential repeat) customers and to shell out £50 or so for a hotel room?........me confused.

Garry :(

jimmy4237
13-03-06, 07:47 PM
Many of the stand holders wouldn't be too happy either, seeing as a small stand (tiny booth..) was almost £750 rent a space for two days :shock: :shock: God only knows what a stand like Suzuki was charged :!:

Then comes the news that both the BSB at Knockhill is on the same weekend as the Kelso BMF show :lol: . These sort of date and weather cockups will only put people (ie. sellers) from coming up to the scottish venues...

Yet they want people to attend these shows :?: :?:

Cronos
13-03-06, 08:13 PM
I'm convinced the only reason the show was cancelled was on police advice. Don't forget the airport (next to the show) was closed and didn't re-open until mid-morning. The snow didn't stop coming down in central Edinburgh until well into the afternoon and there were real problems on the roads in central Scotland.

The difference with the football was that it didn't kick off until mid-afternoon which at least allows people to get to Easter Road. It's also worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of people at the football would have come from Edinburgh or the surrounding area. The same can't be said of the show.

northwind
13-03-06, 09:28 PM
Just spoke to Marc Gillespie (who was in the stunt show) and he was told that not enough security staff made it to the venue to satisfy the insurance and liability side for the venue owners- if there'd been a fire or similiar they might not have been able to manage it effectively. Apparently loads of stallholders didn't make it in either, and there'd be concerns about uinmanned stalls with stock on them.

TBH though, I doubt that many people would have attended either... Especialyl once it was obvious all the outdoors side would be abandoned.

Aurora
16-03-06, 09:30 AM
We spoke to a couple of stallholders approx 11am who we had leaflets from previous day, they said they'd received phone calls 8am to come and dismantle the stall!!! Believe there was a near riot Sunday morning from the stallholders.

For those who had pre-booked tickets. You can get a refund by sending the ticket (I'd take a copy first) to:

Customer Services
MCN Scottish Motorcycle Show
NEC Box Office
PO Box 3348
Birmingham
B40 1NS

I was well pi$$ed off, spent Saturday walking round the show and making a note of who to go back to Sunday (in the hope of a deal in the late afternoon).

Did manage to get a pair of textile trousers (had to buy them, last pair in my size and half price :wink: ) and a set of R&G crash bungs (bought 2 pairs, one for hubbies VFR too, got a nice discount from the owner of the company).

Aurora
16-03-06, 09:31 AM
TBH though, I doubt that many people would have attended either... Especialyl once it was obvious all the outdoors side would be abandoned.

There really wasn't much outside on Saturday.

northwind
16-03-06, 07:40 PM
Stunt show and supoermotos had good crowds...