PDA

View Full Version : Chain lube.

furrybean
28-03-06, 04:02 PM
What do you folks use to lube your chain. I've searched and seen that parraffin is the fave for cleaning and a scottoiler but I dont do that many miles, just blatts here and there and want something to slap on when I get back.

I've been recommended tl45 if anyone has heard of that but anyone got any better suggestions?

Cheers

Dan

jim@55
28-03-06, 04:56 PM
yup , wurth stuff is very good,not the chain wax ,its the DRY? chain lube .vg £7 quid a go :wink:

furrybean
28-03-06, 07:26 PM
Cheers, I'm sure my local bike shop doesnt stock wurth though. Is there anything else as good?

Cheers

jim@55
29-03-06, 11:59 AM
haven't used enough of them to say .do a search on chain lube ,but in the end its what u can get /what u like :wink:

STRAMASHER
29-03-06, 02:53 PM
Hello folks,

I use a cheap as chips silkoline oily lube on the black SV chain during winter as its easier to tell if it needs a lube or not and the excess sprays onto back wheel to keep the salt off the rims! :lol:

Use the Wurth ("DryLube"?) for me poncy gold chain on another bike and clean every other week.Wd40 and a rag. Light lube , go for a run, lube. Keeps it bling! :? :lol:

If you are not doing a lot of miles in fowl weather go for the dry lube. Try and lube after each ride, as chain will be warm and will help the lube spread.

I still find perfect lubing and adjustment of chains a bit of a black art. :oops: :lol:

Rog
30-03-06, 10:24 PM
has anyone got one of these?

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/index.html

I am tempted as I use chain wax at the moment.

Tigerrrr.......
02-04-06, 09:57 AM
Wurth high performance dry chain lube is unbeatable.

Have tried other lubes/oils/waxes, etc, but the Wurth stuff is the best.

Comes top in the Ride tests too.

If you can't get it locally, try mail order or eBay.

Well worth getting some and trying it.

Best wishes.

triumph5ta
09-06-06, 01:10 PM
Try Castrol chain wax, in aerosol can, you can get it just about any bike shop or Halfrods...
Also available in a small can to keep on the bike or in your backpack whatever you use. Handy when you are 200 miles from home and realise you haveforgottten to lube chain.
Came near top in recent RIDE survey.
Adam.

TC3
18-06-06, 07:26 AM
I use PJ1 which i apply after a ride and wipe excess off....no fling at all really.

SV Muppet
23-09-07, 02:00 PM
I've been using Muc-Off Dry PTFE lube on my chain.
I don't like that fact that you can't see it but that might be cos I'm old fashioned and prefer to see half an inch of grease all over it.

Endellion
29-10-07, 09:19 PM
I have used the wurth stuff, didn't like it much now using vavoline aerosol and its great

21QUEST
30-10-07, 01:02 AM
Rock oil chain lube

Usually, I use engine oil applied daily/every couple of days(using a paint brush)depending on milage.

Tried the Rock oil(was at a mates...) as was desperate after some heavy rain had left the chain pretty much bone dry. Soaks right in and with hardly any fling. Going back to engine oil once the salt is out on the roads or find some time to fit the Scotoiler I've got lying around.

Personally I think chain wax is not the best ..... very good at making grinding paste mind haha

Ben

metalmonkey
30-10-07, 02:26 PM
I used some Tech chain wax, didn't like that went everywhere, hard to clean off and forms a paste which is just grotty attacts dirt ect....

I have wurth dry chain stuff at the moment, but a scott oiler seems the way to go? How much are they btw? Are they had to fit?

Alpinestarhero
31-10-07, 07:55 AM
I did have Wurth dry lube, which was brilliant when I wasnt doing alot of miles, kept the rear end clean aswell. But Now I'm commutting regularly, I grew to dislike it - I now use silkolene stuff. Messy, but the chain now looks properly lubed.

Any anyway, the stuff that flings off comes off easily with a rag sprayed with WD-40, so it really isnt that bad.

Matt

G
31-10-07, 08:52 AM
I use PJ1 which i apply after a ride and wipe excess off....no fling at all really.

Yup +1.........Pj1 is great stuff, super sticky so you get next to no fling and gives loads of lubrications.

Scottoilers are supposed to be ok, I know people who swear by them, yet always go on about unreliable setting up and never being able to get the flow right.

Luckypants
31-10-07, 10:12 AM
Scottoilers are supposed to be ok, I know people who swear by them, yet always go on about unreliable setting up and never being able to get the flow right.

Swear by my scotty, never at it. You have to adjust the flow depending on conditions.... in France at high ambient temps the oils is thin so runs faster / easier so had it turned down to minimum setting, now is on a middling setting and will increase flow for the wet / cold conditions.

thedonal
31-10-07, 12:03 PM
I'm happy using Wurth dry lube. The only tricky thing is knowing when it's gone! Plus cleaning the chain more often so the lube is on the chain, not the grime.

I really don't have the willpower to get up and brush oil on the chain every morning though- you're very patient 21Quest!

My bro tried some chain gel the other day- apparently it sprayed EVERYWHERE. So he's back to Wurth as well.

SVeeedy Gonzales
02-11-07, 06:33 PM
I use the wurth dry stuff, it's good but still flings and doesn't last as long as I'd hoped before it needs another spray. All lubes will do the job if you make sure you keep applying them, even engine oil will work fine (recommended by manufacturers anyway) if you apply it often enough. And can live with all the fling.
I'd get a scottoiler only I want to wreck the sprockets and chain faster so I can have the excuse to get new ones with lower gearing.