PDA

View Full Version : Average Miles in 10 Days

Demonz
14-04-06, 09:02 AM
I am planning a trip through the alps for the first time and wanted to get an idea of the average miles one would cover in 10 Days. I was thinking around 2000. A long day down and back with mixed miles throughout. For those in the know - do you think this is average or over ambitous?

Jelster
14-04-06, 09:29 AM
Last summer we took a train from Calais to Nice and rode back through France, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. That was 160 miles, plus another 200 to/from Dover and took us 9 days.

Things to remember when planning a trip in Europe:

400 miles in a day is possible on fast roads; even at an ave of 60mph that's still over 61/2 hours in the saddle, plus food/water/fuel stops.

In the Alps, 200 miles is quite a bit in 1 day. Your average speeds are low and throwing a bike around Alpine passes starts getting hard work, especially in the heat of summer.

Keep fuel stops to no more than 100 miles. Unless you have a decent touring bike, after 100 miles you'll need to get off and stretch anyway.

Motorways are boring, but always keep them in mind if you need to "catch up" with time to get to your next destination.

You don't have to have a fixed route, but have planned stops and a destination every day, that will help you build your routes around roads/places you want to get to.

If it's your first trip, 2000 miles may be a little optimistic, but in 10 days that's only 200 a day so it's not that bad. Petrol stations in France are rarely open on Sundays, make sure you fill up on Saturday evening, and you take in a major town or a major services so you can top up (Most French supermarkets are self service "pay by card in the pump" type affairs, and they don't accept UK cards - I know, been there and got the tee shirt (too many times)).

If you're off to the Alps or the Alsace, check out www.alpineroads.com they also have a useful forum too.

Have fun....

Demonz
14-04-06, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info Jelster - where is the best place to find info on the train - prices and timetables? It sounds like a good way to get a ride home.

Jelster
14-04-06, 10:32 AM
Try:

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/trade/railservices/frenchmotorail/index.asp#

or

http://www.railchoice.co.uk/motorail/information.html

I used RailEurope.

Also, have a look here (http://www.urbanbiker.co.uk/tour_05/) to get an idea of what we did. If you want some ideas for routes etc PM me....

Demonz
15-04-06, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info and the road tips. I will do some more research and will take you up on on some feedback down the line once I have some basic routes outlined.

Your trip looked like a lot of fun (apart from the accident) - I am planning early September so lots of time to read up and research on the latest roads and info.

Lissa
20-04-06, 04:16 PM
Pete and I are off back to the French Alps again in June.

Travelling Dover/Dunkirk with Norfolk Line ferries then going to Dun sur Meuse to a biker-friendly B&B for the first night. On to Besancon, then to Chamonix Mont Blanc, through Italy and back into France to Bourg D'Oisans, then down the Route Napolean to the Gorge de Verdun, then back home again pretty much the way we went down. We're going for 8 days, and reckon we'll cover around 2,500 miles.

If you like, I'll be happy to e mail you our route plan and details of some really good places to stay at various stops.

TSM
20-04-06, 04:22 PM
Im going in June to Portugal with argatxa

I am couting on a millage of at least @ minimum 3500 miles but over 2 weeks. Its 1500 just to get to portugal. I will probably be doing 1500 miles in the first 4 days, then i dont know what i will be doing after that.

If you are changing tyres soon, get some Z6 as they give realy good millage. I still have my front in very good condition from last years holiday.

Demonz
20-04-06, 04:35 PM

Travelling Dover/Dunkirk with Norfolk Line ferries then going to Dun sur Meuse to a biker-friendly B&B for the first night. On to Besancon, then to Chamonix Mont Blanc, through Italy and back into France to Bourg D'Oisans, then down the Route Napolean to the Gorge de Verdun, then back home again pretty much the way we went down. We're going for 8 days, and reckon we'll cover around 2,500 miles.

If you like, I'll be happy to e mail you our route plan and details of some really good places to stay at various stops.

Thanks Lissa - That would be great if possible. I was planning on doing a fairly straight run down to Opatija in Croatia via Munich, across the alps through Austria and Slovenia. Then coming back via Northern Italy and France which is what maybe handy. Its not until early September so lots of time to plan - as I need it.

Jelster
20-04-06, 06:44 PM

That's a serious bit of riding that is...... Looks like loads of fun....

Demonz
15-06-06, 10:30 AM
So am in the midst of planning and I think i may be chewing off a bit much on my planning with the geographic area i want to cover.

The areas I was looking to cover include the Vosges, Austrian Alps, Slovenina/North Croatia and Dollomites. Was thinking I may to go right accross to Cote de Azur and head north home - but reading about the first areas and it seems there is so much to do here that it may feel like a breeze through.

Has anyone done these areas and what would you recommend as the minimum time to spend in each to enjoy it??

Tim in Belgium
16-06-06, 09:58 AM
Having been to the Vosges I would say that there is easy enough to keep you going for a couple of days if you try and link all the good roads up and want to stop at the odd place so it doesn't go by in a blur of speed. If you drop in for a day on your way north/south you will still be able to try a good sample of what the place has to offer, and get a feel for the place.

As for the other places, still to venture that far, but trying to decide where to go for my summer two weeks.

Demonz
16-06-06, 12:34 PM
Everyone seems to rate the area so maybe it is worth stopping there and back.

Thanks for the info Tim - I will just have to plan 2 weeks next year.