PDA

View Full Version : Big **** off screw in rear tyre

goof
14-04-06, 04:24 PM
Grrrrrrrrrr! Was a quick run over to my mate's house, just pulled into my street and I hear a funny noise, got off to find there's a dirty great screw in my rear wheel. That'll be more money down the drain then :cry:

Dunno what I'm best doing, repairing or getting new tyre. The tyre still has some life left, don't know how much though. Some days the thing just feels like a money pit :cry:

instigator
14-04-06, 04:28 PM
Get a second hand one off ebay. Only slightly used. Pay about half the money for a new one and it's already scrubbed in. Bikerite charged me £15 for the time my rear went flat. :(

goof
14-04-06, 04:39 PM
Thanks instigator. Dunno what's best though, also got a new BT020 front spare that I was going to put on but need a matching rear. Buying part-worns off ebay seems to be a bit of a false economy sometimes too, sometimes they go for 3/4 of new price!

Looks like that's the egg run out the window too :(

SVTONYB
14-04-06, 05:43 PM
not so good mate :roll:

I would say bit the bullet and buy a new one

I wouldnt repair it

instigator
14-04-06, 06:07 PM
Thanks instigator. Dunno what's best though, also got a new BT020 front spare that I was going to put on but need a matching rear. Buying part-worns off ebay seems to be a bit of a false economy sometimes too, sometimes they go for 3/4 of new price!

Looks like that's the egg run out the window too :(

If you cannae find a cheap one on ebay best to go to that bike garage in crief...the tyre chaning place...probably the cheapest about and some nice roads there and back. ;)

northwind
14-04-06, 06:21 PM
I've got a back wheel with a fairly used 020 on it here... Bit square, it is. If you can get it off my spare wheel without hurting the rims you're welcome to it, I was just goign to burnout it to death if I'm honest. Or, if you've got a silver wheel in good nick on yours we could just swap 'em...

goof
14-04-06, 08:17 PM
Thanks Northy, you're always offering to help in a bind :thumbsup:

Would probably be just as well getting this repaired though, will measure to see what type of tread's left before deciding though.

rscosworth
15-04-06, 08:27 AM
go see Craig @ crieff

Tel 01764 655904
Mob 07889 405501
Strathearn Tyres
The Turret
Burrell Street
Crieff
PH7 4DG

Very friendly guys, top quality work and knows a fare few of the SV boys by now......

goof
26-04-06, 06:44 PM
Thanks Bud, dunno how I'd get to Crieff though (bugger 4 wheel journeys)!

Spoke to a place in Glasgow today and they said it couldn't be repaired due to the speed rating - is that right?

Looks like that trip over to my mates could've cost me £100 :x

northwind
26-04-06, 07:11 PM
You can patch a Z rated tyre no problem... Depending on where the hole is. But not all dealers do it, which is fair enough.

STRAMASHER
26-04-06, 10:11 PM
Had Z rated tyres repaired at "bikerite " in Dalmarnock. Tried phoning them Friday saturday for a new tyre and got no answer, ended up down at West Coast in Irvine for one. Bikerite closed down?

As said above ,depends where the hole is and how its gone in,ie squinty and near a tread, and its not a front tyre! Some places just want you to spend £££ on fresh rubber, "for your safety" :roll: Good idea to phone a few places first. :)

Razor
26-04-06, 10:21 PM
If it's in the middle third of the tread it can be plugged. the 2 outer thirds are just too dodgy. I've had a few plugs in a Z rated tyre with no adverse affects.

goof
27-04-06, 11:29 AM
It's right in the middle so should be fine!

Will try phoning a few others...just trying to think of ones nearby :-k

Edit: tried Bike Rite, there was a message saying the shop is closed (for good?) but rider training available.

owenieboy
27-04-06, 10:08 PM
Think bikerite are only doing training now. I just got a new front tyre. It's a conti road attack and cost £67 fitted just to the wheel. But I'd say you should be able to get it repaired.

Now I need a new battery :( It's not much fun getting all geared up and ready to go only to find out the fecker wont start :oops:

Stupid thing made me late for work :evil: Had to get changed and take the car

Getting a price for a battery has been a nightmare. Tried Ride On (the parts dept were too busy), Jim Allan (didn't seem to know what they were talking about, quoting me for the wrong battery) and halfords told me to bring in the old one :roll:

It's too hard I tell ye