PDA

View Full Version : Knockhill again

northwind
21-04-06, 10:03 PM
It's always me that starts the trackday threads ;) But time ticks on.

http://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/schedule.php

No point in doing a poll for this, wouldn't work. So, hands up who wants to do:

Full days
Weekend mornings
Evenings
Training days

Just to get an idea of what people are most likely to want to do- then we can think about dates. The more the merrier with this, I've done one on my todd and it was great, but it's better in company. (though if there's no witnesses, you can tell better lies)

Myself, I'll do any of 'em... I'm likely to do an intermediate school near the start of the season, maybe the 4th May one, and then maybe the halfdays, but depending on cash, if there's people going I'll try and get to absolutely any and all.

scooby2102
21-04-06, 10:07 PM
Northy

Would defo like to start with a training day but will go with the flow as just desperate to do a track day.

carelesschucca
21-04-06, 10:11 PM
evening all!!!

northwind
21-04-06, 10:13 PM
It's all good ;)

Training days aren't cheap, £170 for the intermediate, and £100 for a beginners. When I spoke to them, they implied that beginners was really very basic and for the hopelessly nervous or rubbish, and that intermediate would suit most people better.

Scooby Drew
22-04-06, 10:07 AM
I can feel a half day coming on - have manged to lean the Ninja over more than 5° recently so shouldn't look too naff :lol: :lol:

Weekend mornings can be a bad idea cos that is when the psycho types come out to play- the intermediate and fast sections got filled up so they piled into novice and it was total mayhem. I'd go for a weekday half day or evening.

Cronos
22-04-06, 10:14 AM
I'd be up for a weekday half day. 8)

Anonymous
22-04-06, 11:05 AM
been to sat morning session and it was horrendous, all the guys turned up with bikes in vans.

the evening one has always been really good. its only 2 hours but long enough.

SVTONYB
22-04-06, 01:20 PM
Training days aren't cheap, £170 for the intermediate, and £100 for a beginners. When I spoke to them, they implied that beginners was really very basic and for the hopelessly nervous or rubbish, and that intermediate would suit most people better.

At an extra £70 a go...... I wonder why he said that :roll:

I've never been on a track so I must be a beginner......but for £100 I would expect to learn something

SVTONYB
22-04-06, 01:24 PM
I would have thought 2 hrs of an evening would be plenty.....considering how often we stop on a rideout :lol:

But as always I will go with the flow.....

northwind
22-04-06, 01:59 PM

At an extra £70 a go...... I wonder why he said that :roll:

To give the full story, what they said was that for a competent rider who wasn't totally overawed, a novice session on a normal trackday would be a better introduction tham the Beginners courses. Those are cheaper, you great cynic ;)

One of my old customers was involved in setting up the training courses for the hot hatches, and the bikes use the same structure- he reckoned they should have just binned the beginners completely and done more intermediates. 4/5 of the people in beginners were chafing at the bit by the end, and the other 1/5 were liabilities who "wouldn't be allowed on a go kart if I had my way"

But then, the Advanced was 50% full of people with no idea at all who should have been in beginners or intermediate :roll:

SVTONYB
22-04-06, 02:05 PM
To give the full story, what they said was that for a competent rider who wasn't totally overawed, a novice session on a normal trackday would be a better introduction tham the Beginners courses. Those are cheaper, you great cynic ;)

:lol: :lol:

carelesschucca
22-04-06, 04:11 PM
I would have thought 2 hrs of an evening would be plenty.....considering how often we stop on a rideout :lol:

2 hr's means 1 hour on the track, you'll be shattered though... But you won't realise it till you get home when the adrenalin wears off...

If your like me and northy you'll be shattered cause its hard work picking your bike up all the time...

SVTONYB
22-04-06, 06:07 PM
If your like me and northy you'll be shattered cause its hard work picking your bike up all the time...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope I'm not that exhausted :shock:

northwind
22-04-06, 06:30 PM
Out of the 2 hours, you get less than that one... Even if it starts on time, there's dead time between groups, and more than likely a few stops and delays from crashes. Last time we did an evening session, there were 2 warm-up/sighting laps in each session and I think 7 hot laps, so that basically loses another 1/4.

Still not a bad length at all though, I did an open pit halfday and I was absolutely dead afterwards. I ended up binning it mainly through tiredness and overconfidence. But then, I got more laps in than I think you'd get in 4 or 5 of the evenings.

Scooby Drew
22-04-06, 06:53 PM
I found in the morning that I did, that I was only getting into it and getting the confidence to start pushing it towards the end so I would probably find a track evening a bit frustrating because you get half the time. We could always just do two things, those that want to do an evening and others who want to do a half day.

stev
28-04-06, 07:58 PM
I would like to do a track day but have no idea what you need in the way of leathers or bike prep ?

can I get any info ....?

stev

northwind
28-04-06, 08:16 PM
You almost always need leathers that zip together... I've never heard of any Knockhill days allowing anything else. Bike prep, nothing much really. Just stuff you can do at trackside- it's a good idea to take off mirrors, since they're expensive and they stick out. Crash bungs would be wise... Knockhill don't seem to ask for tape on lights etc.

Of course, you want to make sure your bike's in good nick. Good tyres in good shape, no dubious engine concerns, dodgy clutch adjustment, anything like that.