PDA

View Full Version : The rideout route

admin
23-04-06, 08:36 PM
I managed to get out today to look at the proposed route. Read about it on the main site

http://www.sv650.org/sv_rideout2006/index.htm

Scroll down to rideout maps.

I enjoyed it.

Stig
23-04-06, 09:15 PM
Great stuff John. I am still hoping to be able to get up your way to do the route with Ed and co. :thumbsup:

admin
23-04-06, 10:21 PM
Ed did mention that you might be coming up. Bring some decent weather please, we've run out.

Actually today was great. So nice to get back home with just a numb bum and not frozen to the bone and wet as well.

John

mysteryjimbo
01-06-06, 07:37 PM
Is it possible for someone to supply the route as an autoroute file?

admin
01-06-06, 09:18 PM
Once it's finalised then yes. I'm still wondering if it's a bit too long

John

Viney
01-06-06, 10:15 PM
Last years was longer for me as i done 4 laps of the cotswolds to find everyone!! Im still not sure if im gonna make it this year.

Demonz
14-06-06, 08:52 PM
Any idea on what time on Saturday its all starting?

caz650s
18-06-06, 02:57 PM
Once it's finalised then yes. I'm still wondering if it's a bit too long

John

Hi there,
Is the rideout route going to be the one you trialed..or is it going to be shortend.
thanks for the hard work you are putting in to sort this..I have been involved in similar things over the years and I know it can be pretty thankless !!

Ed
19-06-06, 11:26 AM
John and I did talk about turning off the A49 (which is a bit boring) at Craven Arms, it's a good road up through Corvedale to Much Wenlock. Problem is, there are so many good roads around here!!! Can't do them all!!

lynw
19-06-06, 07:20 PM
Is there a finalised route as yet? Just wondering as I found out today we can go so now trying to catch up with everything. :oops:

caz650s
19-06-06, 07:38 PM
Is there a finalised route as yet? Just wondering as I found out today we can go so now trying to catch up with everything. :oops:

Maybe try the link at the top of this page ?

lynw
19-06-06, 08:50 PM

Maybe try the link at the top of this page ?

I read this thread and checked the days of the posts. Your question from yesterday re the shortening of the route hasnt been clearly answered, hence my question today.

admin
20-06-06, 06:26 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying. Just been too busy with other stuff and spread myself a bit thin.

The date is approaching fast and I still haven't been on another recon yet. I was going to do the Red Lion run this weekend, but I'm ditching it in favour of getting another recon in, otherwise it won't happen.

My thoughts at the moment are. Start at Dinkies, can't see that changing, say at 1pm. This gives the day trippers (here for the day only) a reasonable time to get here.

Run the route as planned (on the main site) all the way to the OK diner and this will be the end point. Get some dinner. The day trippers can make their way home from here. The campers and locals (me) can then wander up the A49, cut across to Much Wenlock from Craven Arms, head north on the A488? back to Shrewsbury and the campsite for after dinner drinks.

On Sunday I'll get more detailed information on distances, times, pertrol stops, caffiene and fag stops and see if this soggy tissue of a plan holds up

John.

I'll then post it all on the main site.

admin
26-06-06, 08:53 PM
Once again my weekend plans were mucked up by others. Every damn weekend someone or something pops up and takes my time away....arghh.

I can see me taking time off work just to get the route tested and planned. So far Saturday is free and I'm using it all to do this.

Sorry
John

fraser01
26-06-06, 09:43 PM
Once again my weekend plans were mucked up by others. Every damn weekend someone or something pops up and takes my time away....arghh.

I can see me taking time off work just to get the route tested and planned. So far Saturday is free and I'm using it all to do this.

Sorry
John

No need to apologise John, your time and efforts are always appreciated and you are no different from anyone else on this site...we all have busy lives...so remember, we think no less of you.

Regards

Rich

admin
27-06-06, 08:31 PM
Thanks, best endevours and so forth.

Spoke with Jonboy and Daryl today. I think I have a revised route worked out in my head, just need to test it out. Should be around 100ml, with stops every 30-40 miles.

The considered opinions feel that an 11.30-11.45 start is about right. Time for day trippers to get to Dinkies and time for the campers to shake off their hangovers and get some greasy food down them ;-)

I'll post more details once I've ridden the route.

The revised route is Ford to Welshpool a458, then Newtown a483, across to Churchstoke a489 (break) then across to Craven Arms a49(another break if required), down the A49 to Ludlow, across the Clee hills to Bridgenorth b4364 and to a bikers cafe at Quatt. another break. North up the A458 to Shrewsbury and back to Dinkies. Approx 99 miles.

John

Ed
27-06-06, 10:15 PM
This is actually a better route than the original.

Greatly looking forward to this :D

Check out the A489 from Churchstoke to Craven Arms (there's a T junction turn right onto the A49, short bit of the A49 down to Craven Arms) 8) And the B4364 8) 8) And on the way back the A458 goes over Wenlock Edge, sharp downhill bit, you can hammer it up the other side to Wigwig, and then there's the Cressage straight - 2 miles......

darylB
28-06-06, 07:12 AM
John, i and ed (if he's available ) are going to ride the route sat to see if up to a very high standard as expected by all !. having ridden the roads at some time or another i'm sure it is a cracking ride. The latest idea is to aim to set off from Dinky's at 11 - 11.30, and two or three stops taken on the way around.we'll put a couple of phone numbers up so if anyone is going to arrive a little late one of us will wait for them. roll on a week on sat i say.

Daryl :D

caz650s
29-06-06, 07:31 AM
This is actually a better route than the original.

Greatly looking forward to this :D

Check out the A489 from Churchstoke to Craven Arms (there's a T junction turn right onto the A49, short bit of the A49 down to Craven Arms) 8) And the B4364 8) 8) And on the way back the A458 goes over Wenlock Edge, sharp downhill bit, you can hammer it up the other side to Wigwig, and then there's the Cressage straight - 2 miles......

Getting even more exited now...really looking forward to the whole weekend ! :D

Anonymous
29-06-06, 07:46 AM
yeah me too. :lol:

Tara
29-06-06, 07:54 AM
can't wait even if we won't be on the rideout bit really excited now

falc
29-06-06, 08:55 AM

Yer im getting excited now too, dissappointed I cant go on the rideout but glad im in a condition in which I can attend

Tara
29-06-06, 09:19 AM

Yer im getting excited now too, dissappointed I cant go on the rideout but glad im in a condition in which I can attend

Amen to that

CoolGirl
29-06-06, 10:55 AM
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'm coming and will be bringing my kit with me.

Would any of you kind people be willing to bear me as pillion for a few miles?

fizzwheel
29-06-06, 11:16 AM

Debs, If you dont mind perching on the pillion seat of my GSXR I'm more than happy to take you round. It doesnt have a grab rail though just the strap across the seat.

CoolGirl
29-06-06, 12:09 PM

Debs, If you dont mind perching on the pillion seat of my GSXR I'm more than happy to take you round. It doesnt have a grab rail though just the strap across the seat.

Fantastic, thanks - as long as you don't mind me clashing with your paintwork!

Tara
29-06-06, 12:11 PM

No more than what he will in his chavs leathers :lol:

fizzwheel
29-06-06, 01:02 PM

I'll have you know Miss W that my leathers are a lovely match for the Chavwheel :wink:

Debs of course I dont mind 8)

Tara
29-06-06, 01:16 PM

I'll have you know Miss W that my leathers are a lovely match for the Chavwheel :wink:

Debs of course I dont mind 8)

so that makes it alright then :shock: :lol:

fizzwheel
29-06-06, 01:20 PM

Yep 8) Could be worse. I could have leathers like yours :wink:

Tara
29-06-06, 01:22 PM

Yep 8) Could be worse. I could have leathers like yours :wink:

agreed!! need to pick up my black set from up north

admin
29-06-06, 05:10 PM
Took the afternoon off and went for a spin around the revised route. It's about perfect.

The run from Dinkies down to Newtown is the same as the previous route except that we turn off at the first Island and avoid the town centre. This section is a main route to the coast and it flows nicely, no nasty surprises.

The section from Newtown to Churchstoke is more of a back road, this will have far less holiday traffic. A couple of villages to go through, Ceri and Sarn. Had an interesting moment when oncoming cars started flashing me. A farmer was moving a herd of cows up the road towards me . More twisty on this road but little greenery to obscure the path the road takes.

Got to Churchstoke after 55mins. Covered 40 miles. Stopped at Harry Tuffins, which is a Petrol station and Supermarket combined. Nice big car park and a Cafe on the corner of the store. I was ready for a break at this point.

The next section to Craven Arms was covered in 14miles. Much more demanding. Lot's of tight twisty stuff and the odd corner did get over cooked :oops: I did stop at another Harry Tuffins at Craven Arms but I don't think we will on the day, not after a mere 14 miles since the last stop.

Next it was a blast down the A49 to Ludlow. This again is a main traffic route and speeds are higher with wider flowing bends. I turned off at Ludlow onto the B4364. I've never used this road, but it was fine similar to the section between Newtown and Churchstoke. This brings you into Bridgenorth, I headed south around the bypass and landed on the A458, I followed this for a couple of miles until I hit Quatford. Stopped here at a well known Biker/Truck stop. Total distance now covered 83miles and two hours since I started. I was dripping with sweat at this point. I took 30 mins to peel off some layers of clothing and get a cold drink.

Once refreshed I set off again. Headed back along the A458 to Bridgnorth, around the by-pass and straight back to Shrewsbury. This is a great road. Not as busy as the A49, lot's of fast sweepers plus plenty of elevation changes at the same time (think of Eau-Rouge at Spa). There's also the 2 mile Cressage straight (think of the Mulsanne straight at Le_mans). This road also goes through Much Wenlock and drops down the side of the Wenlock edge.

Back at Shrewsbury and I've covered 107miles and it's now 4pm (I started at 1pm). I think this is a perfect route, just long enough to satisfy most people. It will take longer to do on the day. Trying to get people on their bikes and sticking to a schedule is like herding cats :wink: The bigger the turnout the longer it takes. So I reckon a with start time of 11:30-12:00 and a couple of longer breaks plus factor in the cat herding variable and the 'I got lost' syndrome and we'd probably finish comfortably at 16.30-17.00.

The only worry in the back of my mind is the B4364. A lot of this has just been spray-tarred, so there was a lot of loose gravel about. On Saturday I'll look at an alternative route, the A4117 which will take us over the Clee Hills, a great view. The downside of this is that we have to go though a small town called Cleobury Mortimer which is pretty but will be busy. It will also add a few more miles to the route. I'll let you know how that goes.

John ( a bit happier now)

jonboy
29-06-06, 06:14 PM
I like the sound of that John, and looking forward to the ride.

Stig
29-06-06, 07:33 PM
Me too me too. :thumbsup:

Ed
29-06-06, 08:59 PM
Me too me too. :thumbsup:

Me too :wink:

lynw
29-06-06, 09:18 PM
Update much appreciated.

Nice to see some shorter stops built into the route this year :wink: :lol:

And looking forward to it too :D

admin
29-06-06, 09:51 PM
Nice to see some shorter stops built into the route this year

Yes, that was deliberate. There was quite a long first stint last year and I think some people (inc me) thought their bladders were going to explode.

I think 30-40 miles is about right between stints. It also gives the slower and lost riders a chance of catching up.

Quiff Wichard
29-06-06, 10:15 PM
Thanks john for all the hard work.. Iknow it aint easy- and you do all the graft and we roll up fer fun..

it is appreciated. (with beers to back it up!!)

caz650s
29-06-06, 10:20 PM
Thanks john for all the hard work.. Iknow it aint easy- and you do all the graft and we roll up fer fun..

it is appreciated. (with beers to back it up!!)

Yes thanks John :D oh is there going to be Beer drinking !!!? :shock:

Quiff Wichard
29-06-06, 10:27 PM
sounds good- hadnt read it b4 ,y thank u post..

I think tha tis long enough and time enough - and safe enough with all the factors built in...

yes- its a nice rideout.. but leaves plenty of time for rest and relaxation and beers and gossip..

and of course some folkhave long irdes there and back- I am lucky-

so that is a factor too..

If we get anice day nxt week I might nip over and do a bit of it .. but then I dont wanna ruin it for meself..

it sounds just right- with enuff stops and refreshment/comfort breaks.

Marshall
30-06-06, 07:31 AM
That route sounds tip top tastic!!

brilliant i cant wait, this time next week ill be uber excited and still trying to work out how to fit a tent on a bike

darylB
30-06-06, 08:06 AM
I reckon we will do the clee hill variation part of the ride, it's worth a few extra miles for the view, it,s worth stopping some where along it to take piccys, it's that good :) let's all hope for good weather on the day,(not too hot though).

Daryl :D

Quiff Wichard
30-06-06, 09:42 AM
there's a building company her called clee Hill.. ???

anyway- back to hread- anyhting scenic will do f or me.. soclee hill sounds good

CoolGirl
30-06-06, 10:35 AM
I love Clee Hill, it's beautiful and I think was voted one of the best views in the land.

Wathc out for the sheep though! One bolted out in front of me the last time I drove that road - had the hood down and thought it was going to end up in the passenger seat. :shock:

admin
30-06-06, 07:21 PM
Yep, sheep and cattle grids are things to watch out for.

caz650s
30-06-06, 07:28 PM
sounds good- hadnt read it b4 ,y thank u post..

I think tha tis long enough and time enough - and safe enough with all the factors built in...

yes- its a nice rideout.. but leaves plenty of time for rest and relaxation and beers and gossip..

and of course some folkhave long irdes there and back- I am lucky-

so that is a factor too..

If we get anice day nxt week I might nip over and do a bit of it .. but then I dont wanna ruin it for meself..

it sounds just right- with enuff stops and refreshment/comfort breaks.

Quiff.. are you going to be on your best behavior as my Wife as seen some of your posts and is concerned I might be led astray :lol:

Quiff Wichard
30-06-06, 08:10 PM
LOL- my wife will be there with me !!!

Ed
02-07-06, 10:11 PM
Dunno if John is planning to post a fancy map thinggy.

It's actually quite hard to get lost except in two places. When we leave Churchstoke, you turn right after a bit (good visibility on junction) and after a very short while you bear left at Lydham towards Craven Arms (it's not sharp left, more like 45 degrees). But the turning is a bit hidden behind some buildings, so you need to have your wits about you, else you'll end up down in Bishop's Castle. Incidentally this road - it's the A489 for those of you checking it out on the atlas - has some very tight bends and has a lot of tree cover so you can't see round some of the twisties. There are 2 or 3 particularly tight lefts, one almost immediately after you turn left off the previous road, it's 90 degrees. Some good rights too.

If we're doing the A4117 then the way back skirts the north side of Kidderminster. It's an ugly dump. The direction to follow there is A442 Telford, it's a 30 limit and the signs are slightly confusing, so again you need to concentrate. But your patience is rewarded by some stonking twisties just north of Kiddie, at Shatterford.

There are no fixed cameras (might be a mobile or two I spose :roll: ) on the route and I can only think of 3 sets of traffic lights, they're within a few miles of the end of the ride, at Meole Brace (on the roundabout) and Shelton (2 sets) assuming that we come back through the southern part of town rather than round the A5 - if we do the A5 then there aren't any at all.

Plan is to use the marker system, and with me with my bright yellow bib on as tail end charlie, well I know the route anyway - and not to put too fine a point on it, I'm painfully slow so I'd only get in the way :oops:

darylB
03-07-06, 07:27 AM
ed, you have progressed from painfully slow now to just not very fast, i am well impressed, i might have to fight you for tail end charlie due to my injury, torn calf muscle, the 483 might be well policed at the moment as 3 bikers have beed killed on it in the last 4 weeks, it is a lovely road but a few corners can catch people out, just be careful people, we are all out to enjoy ourselves and enjoy the roads and the stunning views. :D

Daryl.

Marshall
03-07-06, 07:36 AM
Dunno if John is planning to post a fancy map thinggy.

If anybody does fancy posting a map thingy, i can print everybody a copy here at work (work in print room) so if sombody could email me a copy it would be ace

admin
03-07-06, 05:47 PM
quick update. Been a busy weekend with birthdays and stuff.

I went out and did the route again on Sat. I took the A4117 through Clee Hills. It was great. Found another car park for visitors to stop and we could put another break in here if people fancy it.

If we're doing the A4117 then the way back skirts the north side of Kidderminster. It's an ugly dump. The direction to follow there is A442 Telford, it's a 30 limit and the signs are slightly confusing, so again you need to concentrate. But your patience is rewarded by some stonking twisties just north of Kiddie, at Shatterford.

I didn't go down that far. Just after Cleobury, I turned left onto the B4363 which takes you right into Bridgnorth town. I went though the town and out on the A458 to the Truck stop, bringing me back on the original route. I arrived with 90mls on the clock instead of the original 83, so it adds 7mls, but to my mind is a much better ride.

The whole ride was great through damn hot.

I've deliberatly not put any maps on the main site yet, because I just wanted to check out this slight change.

I'll try and get a map on the main site tomorrow night.

I'll also post information about the marker system and some do's and don't.

More tomorrow.

John

Quiff Wichard
03-07-06, 10:21 PM
quick update. Been a busy weekend with birthdays and stuff.

I went out and did the route again on Sat. I took the A4117 through Clee Hills. It was great. Found another car park for visitors to stop and we could put another break in here if people fancy it.

I didn't go down that far. Just after Cleobury, I turned right onto the B4363 which takes you right into Bridgnorth town. I went though the town and out on the A458 to the Truck stop, bringing me back on the original route. I arrived with 90mls on the clock instead of the original 83, so it adds 7mls, but to my mind is a much better ride.

The whole ride was great through damn hot.

I've deliberatly not put any maps on the main site yet, because I just wanted to check out this slight change.

I'll try and get a map on the main site tomorrow night.

I'll also post information about the marker system and some do's and don't.

More tomorrow.

John

your honour..

we on about the test ride or the test drinkin inthe bar on sat night ??

Blue Flame
04-07-06, 08:09 AM
I tried to have a look at the main site (www.sv650.org) to see the route details but it appears to be down. Is it just me?

Tara
04-07-06, 08:10 AM
I tried to have a look at the main site (www.sv650.org) to see the route details but it appears to be down. Is it just me?

Nope me too

Blue Flame
04-07-06, 08:19 AM
Ahh,

This might explain it

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=41085

jonboy
04-07-06, 08:20 AM
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=41085

dirtydog
04-07-06, 08:22 AM
i believe steve nance has just moved or something so that's prob the reason, it's explained in "the town crier" section i think

admin
04-07-06, 07:32 PM
Yep I did post that the server is moving house. It's independance day in the US today and I know Steve is busy moving in.

The telco promised him a seamless break in the switch of his phone line from old to new premise, but you know what they're like.

Keep trying.

I also want to get on the main site to post updates to the rideout section along with maps and other details.

John

Quiff Wichard
04-07-06, 11:23 PM
an innopportune moment !!

never mind- cant be helped.. ..

Ed
05-07-06, 12:51 AM
never thought of the short cut :lol:

admin
05-07-06, 07:24 PM
Looks like the server has been moved in. Steve Nance reckons port80 is down but I can browse it okay.

Rideout 2006 page has been updated. Maps and everything. Let me know if I forgot something or made a typo.

John

caz650s
05-07-06, 07:29 PM
Looks like the server has been moved in. Steve Nance reckons port80 is down but I can browse it okay.

Rideout 2006 page has been updated. Maps and everything. Let me know if I forgot something or made a typo.

John

Thanks John ..what would we do without You ? :D
See You on Friday .

Quiff Wichard
05-07-06, 07:50 PM
ace john -

you can have a can of my lager- or 5 mins with my wife by way of thanks.

caz650s
05-07-06, 07:56 PM
Quiff..do you know if you need a passport as it looks as if the ride takes us into Wales !

creamerybutter
05-07-06, 09:14 PM
Quiff..do you know if you need a passport as it looks as if the ride takes us into Wales !

Best to, those Welsh boarder guards are know to get violent if you don't have the right paperwork :P :P :lol: