PDA

View Full Version : Cops & dark visors

GDBD59
24-04-06, 09:44 PM
Can I ask you all to ask around your biking pals to determine whether they are clamping down on dark visors?

In the last two years I haven't been aware of a problem, but there are mentions on other forums of guys being 'pulled'.

Is anyone being done only for a visor or is it maybe a cumulative thing....
......where, etc......????????

Edit after two posts below:- Ok, not just 'pulled' but 'done'.....fined.

carelesschucca
24-04-06, 09:52 PM
dark visors are Illegal, I wear one but I always have my spare clear one with me... Always wise in this country of ours...

nuntius
24-04-06, 10:04 PM
Dark visors are illegal, but no visor at all is legal, so if I ever get pulled I'll just take it off, I only ride 8 minutes to work and back

STRAMASHER
24-04-06, 10:51 PM
Famously a few year ago near Glencoe, PC "Bad Apple" in his infinite wisdom and obvious superiority/wanted it for his own lid, decided to confiscate a dark visor off a lad from Shawlands...........in Glasgow! Had to ride that distance with no eye protection. As above ,perfectly legal. :roll:

Made the papers.

If it troubles you carry a clear or leave it at home. I have never had a cop mention my visor.Keeping any attitude in check helps no end. :?

I would say its more a "when" thing, ie riding at night with a dark, than where. Although the English folks get it in the neck MUCH worse.

rictus01
24-04-06, 11:06 PM
I've used a "race black" visor on my helmets for over 10 years at least and never had a problem, it's been mentioned a couple of times when pulled for other things, but a reasonabe,calm discussion on the subject has always resulted it it not being an issue.

Dark visors are illegal, but no visor at all is legal, so if I ever get pulled I'll just take it off, I only ride 8 minutes to work and back

Which is fine, but you could still get done for having worn it,however your more likely to be seen to be prepared if you're carrying a clear one, and not just trying to be a smart ar*e.

Cheers Mark.

GDBD59
25-04-06, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the input chaps, it's all interesting background stuff.

I don't wish to be rude, & perhaps I wasn't specific enough with my question, so I'll try again.

I'm trying to find out out if the Police are having a clampdown on dark visors.
To my knowledge they haven't been fining people solely for using them in Central Scotland in the last two years. (since I got my bike)

If they are doing it now, there's been a policy change, & by us all asking our biking associates, we should be able to find out how widespread it is.

So, are riders being stopped for general checks, being spoken to about a visor, & let on their way, or are they being nicked for them?

Anonymous
25-04-06, 03:25 PM
not heard of any clamp down on visors, or end cans or wee plates. just depends on what sort of day mr plod has been having and how much abuse you give him. im always very polite and point out that my noisy end can is a safety feature and have so far gotten away with it. touching wood now. :lol:

carelesschucca
25-04-06, 04:43 PM
touching wood

No wonder you get off with it....

Anonymous
25-04-06, 07:26 PM
touching wood

No wonder you get off with it....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

northwind
26-04-06, 12:00 PM
I've ridden past a fair few traffic cars in the list month with my no-messing, black as my helmet dark visor, never so much as a rude gesture.

Cam_73
29-04-06, 01:38 PM
What is the maximum allowed tint for a legal visor?

Anonymous
29-04-06, 04:38 PM
none??? :wink: i use a reactive fog city insert. its great. and of course obligitary black tape over top of visor for those low sunshine days

northwind
29-04-06, 10:21 PM
There is a legal level of tint, it has to allow a certain percentage of light through. The legal tints are close to useless IMO, I tried one when I got the Arai and it's about as effective as a Fog City- fine for slightly bright days, but for serious sunshine, forget it.

SVTONYB
30-04-06, 11:59 AM
The legal level for tint on your visor is useless. you can see out it at night no problem.

As for special plans to catch out bikers with tinted visors......I doubt it very much

In my experience the main gripe from traffic cops has been number plates.

If a vehicle (car or bike) hits someone and drives off then witnesses need a reasonable chance of getting the reg no.

I ride with a tinted visor, a race can and a blue position light to the front. I have been stopped both alone and with others and so far no tickets.

nuntius
30-04-06, 06:00 PM
I believe the legal tint is 18%, as in transmits 82% of light.

Where as car drivers can wear sunglasses up to 80% tint. Technically, so can bikers, but I always say 'it's safer to wear a dark visor than sunglasses because in the even of a crash it is not going to damage your eyes, and in the event of it suddenly getting darker, you can always flip it up, rather than have to pul over to remove the sunglasses'

rscosworth
14-05-06, 09:06 AM
i wear the maximum tint arai visor, and then have a pinlock dark insert which im told is perfectly legal, and i always carry my clear visor, never had any hassles

quikstu
15-05-06, 11:02 AM
I believe the legal tint is 18%, as in transmits 82% of light.

I don't know the exact level of tint you are allowed but I had heard it was 12%.

:smt102

setanta
15-05-06, 10:54 PM
Up here it dosnt seem to be a problem, I use a dark visor and have had no problems so far (touch wood)

hall13uk
15-05-06, 11:02 PM
To make it clear the legal level of tint in a visor is no more than 12% !!!!

how do i know u ask, well i have been reading up on all things biking :wink: i have an important day coming up http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=38397&highlight=