PDA

View Full Version : An "Interesting" Weekend...........

independentphoto
30-04-06, 11:56 PM
I was lucky enough to be off work on the beautiful sunny day that was Friday 28th April. After being very self controlled and getting my banking & filing done, I just had to get out for a bit.

Now, remembering that Friday afternoons are the most dangerous time to be on the roads, (weekend mania - lack of attention when rushing home from work etc) I was out to be careful. I started out with some local ring-road stuff, practicing my bends and roundabouts until I decided to head over to Hamilton to treat myself to some nice new summer gloves. I never made it to Hamilton.

After joining the M74 from the M73, I was passed by a 2003 Harley Road King (http://detroithd.com/dlrindexsend_pg_nv_veh_5761-2003_Harley-Davidson_FLHRCI+Road+King+Classic.htm)at a good pace in the outside lane. Now as some of you will know, there are currently roadworks and a 40MPH limit (with SPECS) on the motorway south of the Bothwell services. Just over 1/2 mile from the services, the brake lights started to go on suddenly and with the normal standard of driving, I suspected this to be the roadworks - not entirely. As cars and vans changed lanes, I spotted the big hog up ahead through a couple of cars windscreens....... he was going down in the middle lane :shock:

The entire carriageway came to a halt and I manouvered onto the hard shoulder. Most drivers just p*ssed off (surprise eh?), including the BMW immediately behind the bike (before it was moved to safety :evil: ). Good enough though, a couple of van drivers with their colleagues stopped :thumbsup: and man-handled the big machine to safety across the carriageway (after I knocked it into neutral) whilst I kept an eye on its rider.

At the side of road, the rider "Sandy" ( 48 ) announced that he felt he needed an ambulance and suspected that he'd broken his shoulder and a rib (or two) and was experiencing difficulty breathing. Our kind van men called the emergency services and since none of the guys from either van had witnessed any more than me, and were all working, I thanked them and let them leave the scene. We had all been about four vehicles or so behind.

None of us could figure out how he went down exactly but the rider said that he felt the rear step out. Given that the road was clean and he was coming into the middle lane from the outside, I can only suggest that the rear locked up a bit coming down the gears and slipped on the steel of a cats eye - who knows? The bike took the fall very well indeed with damage only to its engine bars and pannier bars.

Upon speedy arrival of the Police and Ambulance crews, Sandy was diagnosed with a broken shoulder and rib(s) as expected and was taken to Monklands.

I travelled the same stretch of road again on Saturday, paying close attention to the surface as I passed. There were no signs of anything dodgy at all, but I did spot the scars in the tarmac where the bike had slid.

Hopefully Sandy is doing well and his recovery is swift and relatively pain free. :crutches: ..............................................

..................now - Anyone for a Bikers First Aid course?????

Garry :(

independentphoto
01-05-06, 12:04 AM
I should also mention that the only protective gear being worn (as far as I could tell) was an armoured textile jacket which ripped through at the shoulder, but did its job and a pair of gloves.

Here is a picture of the riders lid showing the damage sustained to the rear and to the visor..................

http://upload3.postimage.org/206913/SandysDamagedLid.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/206913/photo_hosting.html)

The off was at quite a low speed since the bike was braking and was in second gear.

scooby2102
01-05-06, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the update Gaz

How did you get on with the bike recovery ?

independentphoto
01-05-06, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm glad to say that the nice traffic cop never had to wait too long for the bike to be collected. A colleague or family member turned up to ride it back just as I was leaving - I was alerted to this by the HD alarm system screaming its balls off!! :lol:

Thanks for the offer of assistance there sir - The guy had been VERY worried about leaving it on the hard shoulder.

Garry :wink: