PDA

View Full Version : Dukes Pass...

splund
01-05-06, 10:45 PM
Oh my... oh my, oh my, oh my. Just been out in the old "tin bin" :driving: with the other half :help: and found myself driving over to Aberfoyle. Not realy knowing where i was and going in no particular direction I ended up on the infamous Dukes Pass. and all i can say is... Oh... My... Ohhhhhhh Myyy.

Wish I had been on my bike instead. :riding:

scooby2102
01-05-06, 11:05 PM
yep, bang on splund

only done it the once on the last run and really enjoyed it tho there were a few "broon breek" moments as some of the corners tightened :shock:

SVTONYB
02-05-06, 11:34 AM
It was the first stretch of road I headed for when I passed my test.....the guy I was with went through in jig time and it took me forever but it was great.

Since then went over it in both directions many times but still not as quickly as I would like.

carelesschucca
02-05-06, 05:18 PM
YEAH!!! You shall all learn the power of the duke side... Join us those wibbly rebels shall be over come...

Isn't it just the greatest piece of road... I'm just waiting for the day that it gets resurfaced and they close it just for me... When I am emperor...

Anonymous
02-05-06, 05:32 PM
did it first day i bought my bike and wanted to stop half way and get a taxi home.

didnt do it again for 2 years. 5 years down the line im still not keen. give me the wibbly wobbly any time.

i can do WW road twice, military road twice and be home within the hour :lol:

carelesschucca
02-05-06, 05:36 PM
just cause you can ride a road twice in an hour doesn't make it good :lol: Dukes pass on a sunny sumer evening say 8 at night, nothing better... One thing I do miss though is the old piper that used to be half way along, he used to wave when I went passed... I endded up talking to him just B4 he passed away, and the scary thing was he told me that I'd not been up the road for a wee while and I looked kinda slow tonight... He was right it'd been 3 weeks and I was dilly dallying... Such a nice guy

scooby2102
02-05-06, 07:10 PM
Found an absolute belter of a road we could try on the next rideout,

Its the A702, the part that runs from Carronbridge up to Elvanfoot.

What I can remember (as I was concentrating very very hard at the time) it had long sweeping corners, loads of twisties and 2nd gear corners, decent straights and the road was in pretty good nick.

Was on the new bike so was givin it a wee bit of a thrashin although not too bad as still being run in

Has anybody done this part, if so - what did you think of the road ?

Scooby Drew
02-05-06, 08:13 PM
Found an absolute belter of a road we could try on the next rideout,

Its the A702, the part that runs from Carronbridge up to Elvanfoot.

What I can remember (as I was concentrating very very hard at the time) it had long sweeping corners, loads of twisties and 2nd gear corners, decent straights and the road was in pretty good nick.

Was on the new bike so was givin it a wee bit of a thrashin although not too bad as still being run in

Has anybody done this part, if so - what did you think of the road ?

That is a fantastic piece of road, did it with Cronos and Mertian last year. If it hadn't been for lack of time we would have done it again- twice... Want to do it again sometime.

We took a loop from Edin down the A701 to Moffat, B7076 to Lockerbie, B709 to Dumfries, A76 to Carronbridge, Elvanfoot, then A702 back to Edin. Westies can peel off onto the A72/A721 back to Weeg

scooby2102
02-05-06, 11:22 PM
That sounds like a plan comin together Scooby D :D

STRAMASHER
03-05-06, 08:04 AM
A701, I think that is "the Devils Beeftub" ? Some massive sweepers up top. 8)

Thats a great route that you do the wrong way! :lol:

We usually do Peebles, StMarys Loch, moffat, biggar. Doing a slightly bigger loop saturday with another mob. Skimming Kielder forest, Lockerbie - Selkirk. Peach of a road but a high rate of attrition! ........a terrible corner on it,pile up city,but you get NHS Gold accident cover down their....Chopper Squad! :lol:

Its a great feeling discovering new Tarmac as good as that.:) :) :)

scooby2102
03-05-06, 12:25 PM
Ref the Devils Beeftub - have done it a few times both ways but the A702 road mentioned above is one of the best I have found yet 8)

STRAMASHER
03-05-06, 02:14 PM
A702 must be StMarys Loch then, even sweeter.................. got to make that loop/roads into an SV run sometime.......... soon? :lol: :lol: 8)

SVTONYB
04-05-06, 01:59 AM
One of my favorite roads is the A701 moffat to castlecraig as posted here in the Scottish SV site many moons ago.... Haven't visited it for ages so it's going on the list to do in 2006 8)

http://invisionfree.com/forums/SV650_Forum/index.php?showtopic=28

northwind
04-05-06, 09:32 AM
Which is the road to Moffat that goes past the Grey Mare's Tail? Is that St Mary's Loch? It's great, whatever it is.

Beaniebike
04-05-06, 04:57 PM
did it first day i bought my bike and wanted to stop half way and get a taxi home.

didnt do it again for 2 years. 5 years down the line im still not keen. give me the wibbly wobbly any time.

My other half took me up it when I had my CB500. Gotta say, I would have been very up for a taxi home too!!!! We stopped half way round it and I beat the crap out of him through tears and snotters!!! That was about 4 years ago, and I have not had the urge to go back on it again!!!

dirtydog
04-05-06, 06:02 PM

My other half took me up it when I had my CB500. Gotta say, I would have been very up for a taxi home too!!!! We stopped half way round it and I beat the crap out of him through tears and snotters!!! That was about 4 years ago, and I have not had the urge to go back on it again!!!

Wusses the pair of ya :twisted: :twisted:

Beaniebike
04-05-06, 07:40 PM

Wusses the pair of ya :twisted: :twisted:

:-$ (Nobody knows this!!!!! :wink: )

dirtydog
04-05-06, 08:29 PM
We all know now though :wink: :lol:

carelesschucca
04-05-06, 09:52 PM
DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!

yes I'm bored, but the thunderstorms are great!!!

SVTONYB
05-05-06, 02:10 AM
Hey Dean I think subliminal messages are suposed to be less in your face :wink:

And as for all you wooses the dukes is only scary if you try to keep up with someone faster than you.......do it at your own pace and you will really enjoy it....honest.

Anonymous
05-05-06, 07:24 AM
st marys place was that not the route we did when we first met you scoobydrew in moffat? the road that weegaz nearly entered my exhaust pipe (dont be rude) when the sheep decided to stop in middle of road and eyeball me as i was passing a car. nearly did a stoppie, wee gaz didnt :shock:

if it was that road would like to do it again but in better weather this time

Scooby Drew
05-05-06, 08:18 AM
st marys place was that not the route we did when we first met you scoobydrew in moffat? the road that weegaz nearly entered my exhaust pipe (dont be rude) when the sheep decided to stop in middle of road and eyeball me as i was passing a car. nearly did a stoppie, wee gaz didnt :shock:

if it was that road would like to do it again but in better weather this time

That will be the place, where Wee Gaz apparently attempted to take you from behind :lol:

carelesschucca
05-05-06, 08:48 AM
must one of the few men thats failed...

Duck and cover!!!

Anonymous
05-05-06, 02:31 PM
must one of the few men thats failed...

Duck and cover!!!

oi cheeky git, ill put you over my knee for that (if you ask nicely) :lol:

Beaniebike
05-05-06, 04:28 PM
Hey Dean I think subliminal messages are suposed to be less in your face :wink:

And as for all you wooses the dukes is only scary if you try to keep up with someone faster than you.......do it at your own pace and you will really enjoy it....honest.

Hmmm - interesting theory! HOwever, as we all know, you need a certain amount of speed to actually keep the bike upright! I did it so slowly that this was actually slightly tricky!!!! :oops: Admitedly, this WAS about 4 years back, and I do have a wee bitty more experience now... HOwever - NO DESIRE to put myself through this nightmare agiain!!!! :shock:

carelesschucca
05-05-06, 04:45 PM
DO IT!!! I came back from Crieff today and the dukes pass is just as good as ever, even taking it kinda easy I loved every minute of it...

And I'm asking nicely Nutty... Oh I can't wait!!! :wink:

SVTONYB
05-05-06, 11:31 PM
Hmmm - interesting theory! HOwever, as we all know, you need a certain amount of speed to actually keep the bike upright! I did it so slowly that this was actually slightly tricky!!!! :oops: Admitedly, this WAS about 4 years back, and I do have a wee bitty more experience now... HOwever - NO DESIRE to put myself through this nightmare agiain!!!! :shock:

Beanie you are denying youself one of lifes pleasures because of a bad experience when you were but a kid in biking years

and believe me Black sv's are made for the dukes pass 8)

GDBD59
06-05-06, 01:45 AM
DUKES PASS IT'S THE PLACE TO BE!!!

yes I'm bored, but the thunderstorms are great!!!

Online with thunderstorms around eh..........computer still working so far....?? :-dd

It should be unplugged from mains supply & the phone line...... :!: :!:

carelesschucca
06-05-06, 03:28 PM
Its fine and dandy... Thunderstorm did no damage... it was switched off just after that post and I went out to watch... Anyway No de-railing the most important thread ever on the site...

DUKES PASS - The girlies can't cope!!! I think that should be its new name!!!

Anonymous
06-05-06, 05:11 PM
Its fine and dandy... Thunderstorm did no damage... it was switched off just after that post and I went out to watch... Anyway No de-railing the most important thread ever on the site...

but YOU do :lol:

SVTONYB
06-05-06, 11:37 PM
Hey nutty he's not a girlie.....He's a big girls blouse :wink:

dirtydog
07-05-06, 07:38 AM
Hey nutty he's not a girlie.....He's a big girls blouse :wink:

Hmmm a very valid point :wink: :lol:

carelesschucca
07-05-06, 05:55 PM
I've had my hand in big girls blouses but thats as far as it goes!!! I generally get slapped for doing it...

SVTONYB
08-05-06, 11:49 PM
I've had my hand in big girls blouses but thats as far as it goes!!! I generally get slapped for doing it...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

quikstu
27-05-06, 09:46 AM

Should that include me since thats where I got knocked off!!!!!!!!
:wink:

Spewy
31-05-06, 09:07 PM
Where is Dukes Pass :oops:

carelesschucca
31-05-06, 10:36 PM
Its the A821 from Aberfoyle round to Bochastle, its the first bit that I love from Aberfoyle to Loch Achray...

7 miles about 90 corners and its HEAVEN ON EARTH... Get ready to countersteer!!!

northwind
31-05-06, 11:35 PM
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=251500&y=705500&z=5&sv=251500,705500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=713&ax=259500&ay=708500

How's the A81 back up to Callendar?

haggis
01-06-06, 01:04 AM
Hmm, I think an introductory lap of the Duke's Pass might be in order when I'm down for the BSB's. Staying in Callander anyway the night before. 8)

I can just see it.... 14 mad Sgitheanachs giving it beans. :lol:

carelesschucca
01-06-06, 04:18 PM
A81 was good but its needing resurfaced...

I'm going to the Pukes Pass this evening And I'm going to ride it for a wee while UP and DOWN, UP and DOWN... YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

quikstu
01-06-06, 04:41 PM
Yeah yeah yeah yeah. :smt010
:crutches: [-( :-$

Rub it in why don't you. :smt022

Some of us don't even have a bike at the mo!

:rant:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

carelesschucca
01-06-06, 04:44 PM
your day will come young man your day will come...

Anonymous
01-06-06, 05:13 PM
dean you are a sad sad boy :lol:

carelesschucca
01-06-06, 10:29 PM
dean you are a sad sad boy :lol:

No actually I'm very happy, not only was it good to ride, practically no traffic and No Gravel either, but it was the most beautiful I've ever seen the place the first mile up the hill out of Aberfoyle was totally surrounded by Blue Bells, just amazing...

I should have taken picture... But There was no way I was going to stop...

I only went along the road 4 times tonight, the locals must hate me...

splund
02-06-06, 04:16 PM
Woooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeee. I was out on the Dukes Pass, on my bike this time :smt026

I'm luvin it, like big girl luv cake. :D

It's a nice day today so i may head back over it again this evening.

It is soooo fab. You can't go fast but damn! its a hoot!

Anonymous
02-06-06, 04:29 PM
oh no another dukes pass nutter

oh well at least you can keep dean company :lol:

splund
02-06-06, 04:48 PM
Yeah I was starting to pick that up from Deans' posts too. I wasn't too sure though, so didn't like to say. :wink:

carelesschucca
02-06-06, 11:36 PM
Me never heard of this dukes pass place, some one should take me one night I might enjoy it!!!

Serriously I was up again this evening... only to show Kirsteen the Bluebells, She's another woman that hates it...

dirtydog
03-06-06, 09:09 AM
some one should take me one night I might enjoy it!!!

no takers for this then? :lol: :lol: :lol: