PDA

View Full Version : BMW again (I like these folk...)

Scooby Drew
08-05-06, 02:53 PM
BMW Motorrad Central East in Dalkeith are having an open day for the launch of the new R1200S and F800 this weekend (http://www.motorradcentraleast.com/2006/)

You know you want to be there...

carelesschucca
08-05-06, 03:57 PM
i want a shot of that new R1200S it looks sweet, but can't afford it and shouldn't have a go...

Cronos
08-05-06, 06:38 PM
No can do, it's Scottish Cup Final weekend and I've got my ticket.

Scooby Drew
08-05-06, 09:38 PM
i want a shot of that new R1200S it looks sweet, but can't afford it and shouldn't have a go...

Oh come on , you know you want to... :thumbsup: :wink:

Found this in Biketrader. (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/BIKES_popup.asp?modelexact=1&make=BMW&model=ANY&ccappr=1150&min_pr=3000&max_pr=5000&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=td2+6qr&miles=1500&max_records=200&source=0&keywords=&photo=1&sort=3&search=SEARCH&start=5&distance=74&adcategory=BIKE&channel=BIKES&id=200617233510888) Apparently registered for the road but not road legal. You would need to get a daytime only MOT or fit some electrics...

carelesschucca
08-05-06, 10:03 PM
That and the KTM Superduke, It can't happen, and won't... Where's my lotto win and I'll be sorted...

Scooby Drew
08-05-06, 10:22 PM
Was sitting at my desk, thinking 'Well with a daytime MOT I'd be fine riding to work in the summer, I'll just catch the bus to work in the winter' :lol: 'And I could save up for a wiring loom and lights for October' Then my boss came by and rudely awoke me :lol:

That, I think, would surprise a couple sportsbike riders through the twisties (and that is if I ever learnt to ride properly) :wink: I should have asked how many BHP it was putting out when I emailed the dude.

northwind
08-05-06, 10:41 PM
I might just bimble along for that, I'm mad curious about the F800...

carelesschucca
09-05-06, 09:44 PM
Looking at that Race BMW, Jesus How High is the back end on it there's no way I'd get my feet near the floor... It looks about 30mm higher than normal...

Can you imagine buying new plastics for it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scooby Drew
10-05-06, 07:52 AM
Looking at that Race BMW, Jesus How High is the back end on it there's no way I'd get my feet near the floor... It looks about 30mm higher than normal...

Can you imagine buying new plastics for it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, I can imagine that the plastics would be a little dear BUT the return on your investment when you wipe the smile off the face of the face of anyone who thinks that BMWs are slow and handle badly, would be worth it 8) I haven't even priced up lights plus wiring loom etc, I think the cost would make me ill :shock:

STRAMASHER
10-05-06, 08:24 AM
Was up at Cupar a while back and saw a 2nd hand Boxer Cup rep,red,white and blue, very very nice but very very tall.......... and nowhere near £3495, about double it :cry: :roll:

R1200ss looks great even in crap BMW red and silver stripey paint. A proper sized sports bike. Only thing I could pick out I did not like was the bendy plastic tank cover. £9000 :? but you get nearly your money back when you punt it.

F800, could'nt get past the hammerite finish of the top yoke and usually characterless parallel twin injun......... and belt-drive is for scooters :lol:

Race bikes on the road are cool-as-feck!
Would you need to wave your arm up and down coming up to roundabouts etc for slowing down? :shock: :lol:

Scooby Drew
10-05-06, 08:59 AM
Race bikes on the road are cool-as-feck!
Would you need to wave your arm up and down coming up to roundabouts etc for slowing down? :shock: :lol:

I think that is where the wiring loom comes in. I wonder, breakers yards... mmm

northwind
10-05-06, 01:22 PM
Was up at Cupar a while back and saw a 2nd hand Boxer Cup rep,red,white and blue, very very nice but very very tall.......... and nowhere near £3495, about double it :cry: :roll:

That ain't a rep though, that's an actual racer :shock:

Drew, just do it :) It's utterly ridiculous and you'd regret it, but I want a go! Loom shouldn't be hard to sort, at worst there's a couple of places that advertise in Practical Performance Cars and Streetfighters that'll build you an independant light loom and controls (would even get away from the accursed BMW switching) for a reasonable price. Or i'll build you one that'll set the bike on fire...

Scooby Drew
10-05-06, 01:31 PM

That ain't a rep though, that's an actual racer :shock:

Drew, just do it :) It's utterly ridiculous and you'd regret it, but I want a go! Loom shouldn't be hard to sort, at worst there's a couple of places that advertise in Practical Performance Cars and Streetfighters that'll build you an independant light loom and controls (would even get away from the accursed BMW switching) for a reasonable price. Or i'll build you one that'll set the bike on fire...

Only if I can put a set of Renthals on it, I'm tired of Sportsbikes...

carelesschucca
10-05-06, 04:58 PM
What??? sportsbike??? its the most comfortable 'sportsbike' you'll ever ride...

Have you tried the normal one???

Scooby Drew
10-05-06, 07:29 PM
I rode the R1100S about 2 years ago when I still had my SV. It is not so much the comfort factor as wanting something upright that I can chuck about (think supermoto or Tuono, Superduke, Speed Triple etc)

A while ago I had my ZX in for a service which dragged on for 2 1/2 days as the mechanic did his back in. They gave me a Z750 for the time and found that I enjoyed riding it more and suited me better than my Ninja. The ZX and SV are pretty similar in riding position (and I find the ZX MORE comfortable than my SV) it is the riding style that I want to get away from. If I didn't have to commute 80 miles a day I would get something like a KTM640 cos I used to have a dirt bike back in the day and love the 'throw it in, throw it out' way of riding.

The Boxer Cup bike is just a bit of banter, not really practical becos of the money you would have to spend to make it road legal enough to commute on. On a serious note I have been considering an R1150GS mostly cos they have good residuals and 50 000miles is not a problem. At the moment I am doing between 1500 & 2000 miles per month and it is ruining my ZX. I have just had the 16000 mile service which was valves + a new chain and sprocket + back tyre and came to more than £500. That was last month. It will need an intermediate service next month, £150+. If I don't keep the bike serviced, it will lose value. The bike is hard work to commute on- it is twitchy and the powerband can be like an on-off switch. Really great fun on the weekends but in the long term just hard work.

Had a bit of fun this morning on the way to work, was cruising in past the traffic when I came across a 1150GS, which I was catching gradually. He sees me in his mirrors and gases it so I thought 'Ho hum, lets see what going on here then?' and followed it. The bike is very agile and nippy through the traffic and I was quite impressed. Eventually I caught him when he got stuck in traffic in a village. He decided that this was not on and really started pushing it once out of the village. I got tired of ****ing around so dropped two gears and disappeared past him 8) . He didn't do too badly following me. I have not been down that last left hander into Dalkeith that quickly before :lol: .

Which leads me to the fact that the ZX is probably up for sale soon if I can sort my finances out. I would love to keep it but can't afford to. That Boxer cup would be nice though :wink:

Anonymous
13-05-06, 05:41 PM
Did any of you guys make this? I tried the F800S in Bristol today. What an excellent little bike. I can't really compare it well as its ages since I rode a 'normal' bike (by which I mean 'not strange' :lol: . But it seemed to handle superbly, excellent brakes, nice noise, seemed plenty quick to me. It just felt sorted to me and I reckon I could ride it quick. Be interested to know what some of you SV riding guys thought of it. Personally if I was a DAS newbie now I'd buy it. Downside is I reckon its pug ugly, especially from the riders view. The naked should be a good prospect tho.

Scooby Drew
13-05-06, 06:43 PM
Hey Dr Rich, I was there although I didn't ride any of the new bikes as they had them in the showroom but not out for demo yet :( But I did get the manager to promise to let me out on the K1200R sometime 8)

I did manage to blag a ride on the R1150GS (thank you Martin!) which was great. Although the BM is heavy, it is very balanced and I had more confidence on the roundabouts :wink: and through the twisties than usual. Filtering was a doddle and although I had worries about it being too wide for some of the gaps I normally go for, it was fine. It was deceptively fast - there is no step in power and although it does not accelerate manically, you suddenly find yourself at 90mph. And it does vibrate like fook - Nutty, if your legs were longer, you'd be smiling :wink:

Skip
13-05-06, 06:58 PM
There was a K1200R at Santa Pod today - a 55 plate that had only just had its first service! :shock: The bloke was "older" too and was pulling very low 11s at 130mph on it! :shock: 8)

It looked the mutts doodars too! :notworthy: