PDA

View Full Version : new tyres

stev
13-05-06, 09:52 PM
My Dunlop D207's are worn out, anyone got any suggestions about what to fit next?

Runs away while waiting for abuse for leaving them on after I bought it...

Stev

GDBD59
13-05-06, 10:24 PM
Check the tyres section in HARDWARE on the main forum page.

carelesschucca
13-05-06, 11:11 PM
I'm a sad old and always go back to the good old 020's... I don't need anymore for my kinda riding...

Besides I'm chicken to try something else...

northwind
13-05-06, 11:31 PM
I was tempted to use this as an excuse to post up another picture of my bike, just because it's got Roadtecs on.

Anyway, Metz Roadtecs or Pirelli Stradas. Like 020s only more so. If you find you need more on the road, chances are you're riding too fast. And also what GDBD59 said.

I used Sportecs before the Roadtecs, and I've found that in realistic terms they offered no more grip at best, but they took longer to warm up, they were inferior in the wet, and they spent a quarter of their lifespan fairly square. My Roadtec rear's done over twice the miles and is still healthy and round, and it's got at least a few thousand left.

Here's the clincher... I've found that on trackdays, the Roadtecs straightline grip is a little lacking. Never a problem on the road, but braking into the hairpin at Knockhill was a little hairy when I started picking up the pace (yes, before someone else says it, then I crashed- but not the tyre's fault at all :) )

But in a 10,000 mile year, which is low for me, I reckon I'd need one set of tyres, and the front will still have plenty of life in it. (some guesswork here, I swapped fronts after 5000 miles, and I've still not worn out the rear). But with Sportects, Pilot Powers, or anything similiarly sporty, I'd need 2-3 rears and 2 fronts. That's enough of a difference to pay for a spare front wheel with a Sportec on for trackdays! And I've always got the wheel to sell too.

l3xus01
14-05-06, 03:52 AM
hi steve..ronster here from the bcf forum... as a said when we met dont put pirelli daiblos on the metz is meant to be very good on the sv and the bridge stone 020 :D

Anonymous
14-05-06, 10:16 AM
have always used bridgestone 020s and they do everything i want. really stable in the rain which is a must in scotland. i also ride like an old woman (yes I know I am one) and get about 9500 miles out of a set of tyres which cant be bad.

GDBD59
14-05-06, 10:29 AM
have always used bridgestone 020s and they do everything i want. really stable in the rain which is a must in scotland. i also ride like an old woman (yes I know I am one) and get about 9500 miles out of a set of tyres which cant be bad.

For what it's worth, a pal replaced (original?) Dunlops on an '02 VFR with 020's & they transformed his bike.

buckstone
14-05-06, 08:02 PM
My rear D220 is goosed after 3150 miles. Can't be normal. Can it ? One of the reasons I got the SV was I thought tyre wear would be a lot less than my old ZX6-R. It's better, but not by much.

I've got a front 014 in the shed and was thinking of getting a rear to match, but I'm off to France at the end of next week and don't want to need another one when I get back.

I know that the roads up here are notoriously abrasive (which might explain why I think they grip ok in the dry) but surely they should last longer ..............

instigator
15-05-06, 12:33 AM
Bcf forum guy here too. :lol:

I don't have anything bad to say about Conti-Road attacks. Very little chicken strips left on the front (if there is any at all) so they grip very well. The front is about 1/3 of its way through its life, despite me having done 4000 miles already. Going to get a new one for the rear too :) (previously had the avon something or other on which was fine also)

northwind
15-05-06, 10:11 AM
Just don't do what I've just done- fitted the squarest of square old 020s on the rear, matched to a brand new Sportec on the front, and slithered to work in the rain. With the benefit of hindsight, not the best idea ;) And all so I can get pics of the bike with silver wheels (and run in my spare front tyre)

Scooby Drew
15-05-06, 11:16 AM
Pirelli Diablo Stradas all the way. Put 8000+ on a rear and the only reason I replaced it was that I got a nail in it. I guess it had at least anothe 1000m on it. And that is on my ZX6, not the most tyre friwendly bike. Fantastic grip in the wet as well.

northwind
15-05-06, 11:55 AM
I reckon the only reason to put stickier tyres than that- the holy trinity if you like, Roadattack, Strada, Diablo- is that you're totally convinced you're a big bad racer boy, and that nothing "less" will do. All rubbish IMO.

stev
16-05-06, 09:44 AM
lot's of votes for the B/stone 020. Probably go for these......

anyone have any experience of the b/stone 014 ?

conti road attacks got a mention and they are a lot cheaper than the others...

stev

Blue Flame
16-05-06, 10:02 AM
lot's of votes for the B/stone 020. Probably go for these......

anyone have any experience of the b/stone 014 ?

conti road attacks got a mention and they are a lot cheaper than the others...

stev

I'v had the BT014's. They were very good in my opinion but they wear down fast. About 4000 miles if your lucky :!:

stev
16-05-06, 09:05 PM
4000 miles ? sounds good ! the dunlops I have are shot after 2500...........

looking forward to only "4000 " miles

stev

Blue Flame
16-05-06, 11:27 PM
4000 miles ? sounds good ! the dunlops I have are shot after 2500...........

looking forward to only "4000 " miles

stev

Sorry I forgot too mention that 3500 miles of those 4000 miles were on square slicks :geek:

instigator
16-05-06, 11:45 PM
I reckon the only reason to put stickier tyres than that- the holy trinity if you like, Roadattack, Strada, Diablo- is that you're totally convinced you're a big bad racer boy, and that nothing "less" will do. All rubbish IMO.

Yeah but you don't have an il4 1000cc sports bike do you. :lol: IMO it's what people feel comfotable with.

GDBD59
18-05-06, 10:32 PM
I'm another with Road Attacks. They're good. Better on mileage than 010's (& so presumably 014's) but not as good as 020's.

northwind
19-05-06, 02:15 PM
Yeah but you don't have an il4 1000cc sports bike do you. :lol: IMO it's what people feel comfotable with.

That's really irrelevant though... Cornering stresses aren't affected by power, just speed, weight and rider style. A GSXR and an SV doing the same corner at 60mph put pretty much the same stress on your tyres- SVs would be worse, in fact, since the lower quality suspension demands more of the tyres. Though o'course exit throttle does place more demand on the tyres, you can break away a Supercorsa with SV power if you try hard enough so in both cases it's just a matter of control.

SVeeedy Gonzales
19-05-06, 02:33 PM
Guy at work is getting another set of 20's on his speed triple after the last set did 9000 miles and have squared off badly. I'll be going for road attacks/Z6/strada whichever works out cheapest down at micheldever.

l3xus01
20-05-06, 12:43 AM
9000 MILES....on a 020 he pullin yer leg....must be drivin like a right jessie :D

SVTONYB
20-05-06, 07:15 AM
D207's for me Never had a problem with them and more than happy with them

Dicky Ticker
20-05-06, 08:23 AM
The main factors in tyre wear are pressures and acceleration as the forces that are used in straight line and cornering produce less wear[in normal riding] than can be exerted under hard acceleration and running tyres at the wrong pressure.
I always had 36psi front and 42psi rear on the SV and I managed to get 4500 out of a set of Michelin Race which are a very soft sticky tyre It all depends on how you ride---slow--steady--fast---'kin lunatic

The Basket
20-05-06, 08:30 AM
I remember years ago that I was scrubbing in a new front tyre and it began to snow.

Sweet.