PDA

View Full Version : How am I going to carry my Laptop??

Cookie
14-05-06, 09:23 AM
Well.. am I in a dither or what??!! :? :?

I can't bike to work everyday, but on the days that I can, I need to carry a laptop.. I'm sorry if it is the most stupid question ever... :oops: What are my options??

I've been on the Baglux/Bagster websites, & now I'm even more confused!! :(

If anyone can offer some advice, it would be most gratefully received!! 8) :)

Thanks!! :)

Kate
14-05-06, 09:29 AM
I used to carry my laptop all the time on the SV. I got the Oxford laptop rucksack and then bungee'ed it to the back of the bike. Worked a treat, even when I chucked the SV down the road the laptop was fine.

I can definitely recommend the Oxford laptop rucksack, it has loads of padding and has a waterproof cover for when its raining.

Cookie
14-05-06, 09:37 AM
Thanks Kate!! :D

Next stop..Google!! 8) :D

Sorry about your off though!! :(

Cookie
14-05-06, 01:36 PM
This is doing my head in.. I can't find a laptop backpack anywhere.. :(

Sod it.. I'll have to stop work!! :wink: :lol:

The Basket
14-05-06, 04:30 PM
A ruck sack is a 'bad idea' in case you come off and land on it.

Try some form of Tail pack.

Cloggsy
14-05-06, 05:12 PM
I've been on the Baglux/Bagster websites, & now I'm even more confused!! :(

Baglux do a tank cover & tank-bag combo for the SV (colour matched too :!:) They do a larger sized tank-bag to take a lap-top too (from memory,) you are better off ringing them, as the web-site isn't very user friendly (well, it wasn't the last time I looked on there :!:)

timwilky
14-05-06, 05:22 PM
Why do you need to carry your laptop?.

Big bugbear of mine is the number of people who require laptops, without being genuinely mobile. Trust me when you have to run through airports lugging both your luggage and a loptop you start cursing having to carry the damm thing. but if all you do, is dump it by the front door when you get home and take it back next day, why not just lock the damm thing in your desk drawer.

I used to get annoyedwith the people who would say to me I require a laptop so I can work from home. Err excuse me but you work at work, once you go home you switch off. If you need to work outside of your normal working hours I will have a word with your line manager as you are either overworked or incompetent.

Yes I do work from home, but that is because I only go into the office about 2 days a week. I am now actually thinking of providing desktops with thin client connections to the office for those who we provide VPN facilities for instead of laptops. The reason being.

1) With the best will in the world a laptop is not ergonically suited for work, screen/keyboard etc are not adjustable. We leave oursevles wide open for an rsi type claim from laptop users.

2) Security, We have to open our vpns to permit file upload/download, access to intranet servers etc. all we would really need to do is permit thin client access. no longer would files be travelling backward/forward and stored outside of the office servers

Kate
14-05-06, 06:30 PM
A ruck sack is a 'bad idea' in case you come off and land on it.

Try some form of Tail pack.
Hence I said bungee it to the back of the bike. I looked everywhere for a tailpack that would fit a laptop but there's no such thing (or wasn't when I was looking this time last year).

Hey Cookie, no worries about my off. That one was last summer and I've had several more since then and unfortunately written the SV off, but the laptop was fine in all instances :lol:

Hmm, can't seem to find my laptop bag on the Oxford site, here's one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OXFORD-SPORTS-LIFETIME-LUGGAGE-LAPTOP-RUCKSACK-BAG_W0QQitemZ8065605876QQcategoryZ30240QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

seedy100
14-05-06, 06:36 PM
Depends on the size of the lap top!

I have a Dell Lattitude D400.

Fits perfectly into the center scetion of a Aldi tank bag.
I then put that on the back seat under a cargo net.

I dont use the tank bag itself for the lap top becuase the magnets aint good for the hard drive!

- Works for me :) - and means I dont have to have a desktop at home. :D :D

Silver Dream
14-05-06, 06:48 PM
Another on ebay to look at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AXIO-TEKNIC-HARDBACK-LAPTOP-CASE-17-INCH-POWERBOOK_W0QQitemZ8810652544QQcategoryZ4606QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Cookie
15-05-06, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone!! :D

I don't like the idea of carrying the laptop in a backpack actually on me.. Instructors horror story ringing in my ears!! :shock:

I will be going the bungee route for sure!! 8)

Tim,
I don't have a thumping great big computer in my house.. Yes, I do have a thumping great big computer in my office.. Am I ever actually in my office.. Rarely!! :roll: Do I use my laptop all the time?? Yes.. for work, for pleasure, to keep in touch with my family & friends in OZ!! Hence my need for a backpack to transport said laptop!! :roll:

I am my line manager, & I probably am both over-worked & incompetent!! :roll:

thor
15-05-06, 09:40 AM
I'm seling a blue baglux tank bag and tank cover... I'm not sure a laptop would fit though.

Cookie
15-05-06, 09:45 AM
Ooooooh, that is interesting none the less.... Shall we talk turkey?? :wink: :lol:

mysteryjimbo
15-05-06, 10:35 AM
Yes I do work from home, but that is because I only go into the office about 2 days a week. I am now actually thinking of providing desktops with thin client connections to the office for those who we provide VPN facilities for instead of laptops. The reason being.

1) With the best will in the world a laptop is not ergonically suited for work, screen/keyboard etc are not adjustable. We leave oursevles wide open for an rsi type claim from laptop users.

2) Security, We have to open our vpns to permit file upload/download, access to intranet servers etc. all we would really need to do is permit thin client access. no longer would files be travelling backward/forward and stored outside of the office servers

I need a laptop as i am oncall on a rota. I also need the SecureID software and mac address to be available to log into the VPN. I also on occasion work from home.

Oh and my laptop is hooked up to a port replicator so i use a normal monitor and keyboard.

I travel with my laptop in a rucksack. :D

Grinch
15-05-06, 10:51 AM
You know I kept my IBM laptop in my cheap rucksack and one of these.

http://upload3.postimage.org/246888/tescobag.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/246888/photo_hosting.html)

In six years it never got wet.

mysteryjimbo
15-05-06, 10:53 AM
You know I kept my IBM laptop in my cheap rucksack and one of these.

http://upload3.postimage.org/246888/tescobag.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/246888/photo_hosting.html)

In six years it never got wet.

Mines not got wet in 4 years without the plastic bag!

timwilky
15-05-06, 10:58 AM

I need a laptop as i am oncall on a rota. I also need the SecureID software and mac address to be available to log into the VPN. I also on occasion work from home.

Oh and my laptop is hooked up to a port replicator so i use a normal monitor and keyboard.

I travel with my laptop in a rucksack. :D

A number of my colleagues who do "on Call" simply use a PDA with a GPRS connection. That way they can access any of the systems we host when in tesco/town/pub etc. In other words mobile.

Once they return home, they can then use home based computers and the vpn connections to their homes. No lugging of laptops between home/office etc.

My points are still valid. Laptops generally fail to meet all standards for ergonomics. If you are going to the point of having a screen/keyboard/port replicator etc at home. you might has well have a base unit as well and no need to lug the bloody thing about.

Home based systems are security nightmares. ok whilst you are using securid etc to authenticate yourself onto the corporate network, once authenticated you have free reign within your rights. A compromised home based system can then attack the corporate lan. Many companies today remove internal firewalls to ease communication between sites and businesses reliant upon bastion firewalls at thier internet points of presence. By VPNing you can effectively bypass this level of security.

mysteryjimbo
15-05-06, 11:07 AM
A number of my colleagues who do "on Call" simply use a PDA with a GPRS connection. That way they can access any of the systems we host when in tesco/town/pub etc. In other words mobile.

Once they return home, they can then use home based computers and the vpn connections to their homes. No lugging of laptops between home/office etc.

My points are still valid. Laptops generally fail to meet all standards for ergonomics. If you are going to the point of having a screen/keyboard/port replicator etc at home. you might has well have a base unit as well and no need to lug the bloody thing about.

Home based systems are security nightmares. ok whilst you are using securid etc to authenticate yourself onto the corporate network, once authenticated you have free reign within your rights. A compromised home based system can then attack the corporate lan. Many companies today remove internal firewalls to ease communication between sites and businesses reliant upon bastion firewalls at thier internet points of presence. By VPNing you can effectively bypass this level of security.

You said it yourself. Home based systems are a nightmare. By taking the laptop home you are within effective control by having domain rights set upon the laptop. As most cases of support are resolved within an hour or so RSI risk is limited.

I also provide mobile support WITH my laptop and wireless cards. You cant install SQL enterprise manager or Oracle DBA tools (amongst other things) and provide effective support with a PDA. Only in the worst of system failures do i actually have to attend work.

You are correct that in a great many cases laptops are handed out without real reason, but there are times when they are necessary. You will also find a lot of people have been using laptops for a large number of years without incident.

RichMercer
16-05-06, 09:46 PM
I've been using TechAir laptop bags for a few years now. They do all kinds of bags and thanks to the fact the laptop is kept in an air pocket, it keeps it very very safe. I can highly recommend them.

http://www.techair.co.uk/

Baph
16-08-06, 01:15 PM
Just been browsing the forums & stumbled on this. Being relatively new to biking with a laptop, this is something I've been looking at.

I'm with mysteryjimbo on this one. In my line of work, each of our clients has a different VPN solution to access their network. It's so much easier setting it up correctly on one machine, than it is on two.

I also work as an Oracle DBA and have an on-call rota to obey.

If you need to work outside of your normal working hours I will have a word with your line manager as you are either overworked or incompetent.

That kind of statement offends me. My job specification clearly states that I am required to work outside normal office hours. Feel free to talk to my line manager, but he'll tell you where to go. I suppose having foreigners calling me at 3am and waking me, my fiance and all kids up, then talking to me in chinese/spanish/italian etc when I don't understand that language makes me incompetent. Before the rants start about learning the language, it's not required for my job as the SLAs that the clients sign clearly state that their representatives must be able to speak "reasonable English." Over-worked, possibly, but isn't everyone these days? (compared to what they want to be working)

I do however, have a few perks of the job, such as all expenses paid trips to client sites, and when I'm on call, I have 2 hours in which to make the 45min journey home. That is solely because I'm the only biker in the office, and it's a little hard to hear my phone let alone pull over & answer a call.

To answer the original post, my local dealer recommended a rugsack specifically designed for laptop use, but I'd prefer not to have my movement on the bike hindered by a huge great weight behind me when I'm doing lifesavers on the motorway!

Kate
16-08-06, 01:57 PM
To answer the original post, my local dealer recommended a rugsack specifically designed for laptop use, but I'd prefer not to have my movement on the bike hindered by a huge great weight behind me when I'm doing lifesavers on the motorway!
As I have said more than once on this thread, bungee it to the pillion seat rather than carry it.

Moffatt666
03-01-07, 10:53 PM
I recommend the Nike Epic:

http://www.coolhunting.com/mt/archives/BA0355_070_CAT-4.jpg

It features an internal laptop harness and has a hard plastic shell and a hard back protector type affair in-built to protect the wearer.

Available from TK Maxx most of the time.

tricky
12-03-07, 08:37 AM
I have just bought one of these (http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/moto-detail_Office_Backpack.html#a10025125D)

I'm not normally a fan of backpacks on motorcycles but this seems pretty good.

It has compression straps on the sides so you can make it as narrow as possible and everything inside is kept firmly in place.. THe laptop section is well padded as is the back of the rucksack and the straps.

As for straps, it has about the same amount as your average parachute, which means the thing doesn't move about on your back and is very secure.

All the zips are covered and it has its own buit in rain cover kagool type thing.

:thumbsup: